Quantcast
Adequate preamp for AKG C 414 XLII - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Adequate preamp for AKG C 414 XLII
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Adequate preamp for AKG C 414 XLII

Hello, I am recordings voices with an AKG C414 XLII through a Focusrite ISA220 preamp to my Digidesign 002 Interface on Pro-tools LE. I noticed that in particular this mic requires a very good room-accoustic. Though I'm not satisfied with its sound. Still a bit too cold and too thin for my taste
I was wandering if anybody experienced this mic with other preamp such as Avalon VT-737sp, Universal Audio U610, MANLEY VOX BOX or others for vocal recordings.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Guru
I hate to break it to you, but you need to use another mic if it doesn't fit on these voices. In fact, you need to use a better mic.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
my bad. i meant c414 not 141. i just fixed it. do I still need a better mic?
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by twanaustria ➑️
my bad. i meant c414 not 141. i just fixed it. do I still need a better mic?
Yes definitely. You need a better mic.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Yeah he's right. You don't need to just make music with the mic you already have even if it has seen use on countless records since the 80's. In order to make good music you must throw that off the nearest bridge and go buy a Sony c800 otherwise all your recordings will sound like crap that no one can bear their ears to listen to.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have a pair of AKG 414 XLII and I never really liked them for vocals, but I did find that a nice tube pre like my Manley did help smooth them out a bit.

Truth is there are much better vocal mics and getting one will make your life easier.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They're a little bright but got beefy lows. You just gotta EQ it.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not my favorite mic but I've gotten good results with them over the years, the focusrite should be perfectly adequate, probably just need to EQ it right.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I recorded a great soft singing female the other day with that mic on a GTQ and it sounded just fine , I've got some other 3-6k mics and this one just worked
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Try and use the EQ in the ISA220 to gently massage the sound to how you like it. Find the harsh frequency then use the de-esser to soften it a bit. Experiment, maybe you need to adjust the mic position a bit or dampen the area behind the vocalist. Make your gear work in YOUR situation. I don`t see that those two pieces of gear can`t get you an adequate result.
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss ➑️
I recorded a great soft singing female the other day with that mic on a GTQ and it sounded just fine , I've got some other 3-6k mics and this one just worked
Exactly, it's a matter of matching the right mic with the right singer! A u47 sounds great on many voices but it doesn't sound right on mine.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I would not recommend using the EQ, and especially not the De-esser on the focusrite going in, unless you're extremely conservative with them
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 ➑️
I would not recommend using the EQ, and especially not the De-esser on the focusrite going in, unless you're extremely conservative with them
Yep, that`s why I said "gently massage" and "soften a bit"

I don`t usually track using processing unless I know there is an issue I specifically want to solve. the ISA 220 does well with minute adjustments because it is very transparent. I would go no further than 1 to 1.5 db. 2db MAX. Just a little tilt of the sound.
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I got the Peluso P-12 recommended to me yesterday and tried to hunt down some samples of how it sounds, I found 2 different. One here on GS and one in the clipalator at zen pro.. the AKG C414 XL II sounds way better there but then again to me it beat the u87 samples (regular + ai) on there so if there's one thing I learnt from GS it's that there are plenty of good microphones but no one mic fits all voices. You have to try em out yourself, I'm probably placing an order on the XL II with a GAP73 myself and saving up for a BAE 1073mpf that I'll pick up in 3 months to have working with the C414... If that's of any help.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino213 ➑️
I got the Peluso P-12 recommended to me yesterday and tried to hunt down some samples of how it sounds, I found 2 different. One here on GS and one in the clipalator at zen pro.. the AKG C414 XL II sounds way better there but then again to me it beat the u87 samples (regular + ai) on there so if there's one thing I learnt from GS it's that there are plenty of good microphones but no one mic fits all voices. You have to try em out yourself, I'm probably placing an order on the XL II with a GAP73 myself and saving up for a BAE 1073mpf that I'll pick up in 3 months to have working with the C414... If that's of any help.
I'd rather use a u87 than a 414 on vocals!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thank to all for your answers. I was about to buy a Neuman TLM 103 for my vocal recording but then I decided to get the c414 because I can use it for many different recordings such as guitars and room recordings.
Today I used some low Filter, EQ (-2db at 2k), shelving, pre comp and de-esser (around 5k) directly on my focusrite ISA220 preamp and I was surpriced how clear the low frequences came out on male rap vocals.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 ➑️
Not my favorite mic but I've gotten good results with them over the years, the focusrite should be perfectly adequate, probably just need to EQ it right.
i compressed and EQed it on my preamp and ithe result is much better now.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerCorey ➑️
Yeah he's right. You don't need to just make music with the mic you already have even if it has seen use on countless records since the 80's. In order to make good music you must throw that off the nearest bridge and go buy a Sony c800 otherwise all your recordings will sound like crap that no one can bear their ears to listen to.
too expensive
Old 7th February 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I am in for the AKG. Anyway I am a fan of the "newer" generation of mics.
Recently I was lucky enough to have some mics around to test. I had a Telefunken ak 47, Bees Neez Elly and James and AKG xl II . I was really surprised but the AKG sounded hughe compared to the rest. My advice: maybe -2dB shelf from 5 kHz and a Little de essing. I used a Daking mic pre . What I really like about c414 is that it takes eq really well and with the pad engaged it never distorts . Hope that helps
πŸ“ Reply