Quantcast
Preamp for USB Mic? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Preamp for USB Mic?
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Preamp for USB Mic?

gonna be getting the blue yeti which is a usb mic, and i'm just wondering if they make preamps that are for usb mics... if NOT, i can get a preamp/xlr condenser combo for around $100.. would it make sense to purchase the more expensive yeti, or even though the mic is cheaper, get the cheaper mic because of the preamp. any help is appreciated.
Old 20th January 2013
Usb mics have built in preamps. They are designed to be an all in one solution that plugs straight into your computer. This is fine if you are happy witgh how it sounds but the only way to upgrade is to ditch it in favour of a better one. If you go the seperate route of having a mic with xlr out then a preamp then a soundcard you have more flexibility down the line when you upgrade.

Sent from my XOOM 2
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I would not get a USB mic, so you should chose a condenser mic with a pre-amp or use the pre-amp in your sound card, if it has one. USB mics acts like an interface/sound card, so you cant use ASIO driver mode, as you need to have 2 interfaces connected. do yourself a favor and get a regular mic

CJ
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineg92 ➡️
gonna be getting the blue yeti which is a usb mic, and i'm just wondering if they make preamps that are for usb mics... if NOT, i can get a preamp/xlr condenser combo for around $100.. would it make sense to purchase the more expensive yeti, or even though the mic is cheaper, get the cheaper mic because of the preamp. any help is appreciated.
Didn't you post the question about the USB mic on an other thread already? The comments there gave you enough points against USB mics, so why are you so focussed on getting an USB mic?
But as already has been pointed out here, you can't plug an USB mic into a preamp. The Mic has a built in preamp AND audio interface, so it outputs digital data, a preamp can't do anything with digital data, it needs an analog signal which then will be amplified and then converted to digital data by an audio interface!
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i posted this before i started getting good info.. can you check out that other thread though? i posted an audio sample i need some opinions on.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineg92 ➡️
i posted this before i started getting good info.. can you check out that other thread though? i posted an audio sample i need some opinions on.
Yeah, sorry about the comment, I saw too late that you started this thread two days ago. I listened to your sample, but hesitated to be the first to comment because I don't do much Hip Hop (although a buddy of mine asked me to see what I can do on his bedroom Hip Hop mixes recently, so I started looking into this thread more often). Done it though, hope it helps
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I feel that most the content in your last thread focused on the exact point you are asking. There isn't such thing as a USB preamp, the preamp is built into the mic and is not something you can bypass.

I will state it clearly so maybe you can get a better idea of what people are trying to tell you. You mic is a system. It's a microphone, mic pre, and interface. It's a closed system so you cannot upgrade any of these things on the mic, you have to buy each separately and unfortunately, they will not interface with your mic. So, that is why people in your last thread were saying to go a different route, if you want to upgrade anything, you have to ditch your mic and start from scratch.

I don't know much about this mic but it was designed to be a "real mic" in USB form. It can be used through USB but it can also be used as a regular mic with a preamp and interface as well. It may be a better solution for you if you are dead set on USB right now but may take it out of the equation later. That way you can buy an interface, and a stand alone pre that you can use with this mic, and ditch the mic when that time comes, or not ever get rid of it. Just saying that you can bypass the preamp and converter (both, not just one or the other).

Here it is:
Little Square Mic
📝 Reply