Quantcast
Turntables for sampling.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Turntables for sampling..
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Turntables for sampling..

Well, I just joined the record digging society and I've been wondering..

What are some dope turntables you guys could recommend?

I'll be running the samples directly into Logic so I need something that'll make sure the quality is top notch.

I'm also assuming I'll need a dope needle to assist the sound quality.

I also assume that sound card has a hand in the quality also? I'm looking into getting an RME interface for that.

Anyways, $700 and below total sounds like a nice estimate. (Audio Interface NOT INCLUDED)
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Most people these days sample all in the computer, but if you have a lot of records I guess why not.

Sent from my DROID X2
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I've been e-digging a lot but I'm going out and about to find different records now. I don't think it'll hurt to use both options.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Honestly, I think just about any turntable sounds similar enough to not matter. I would just get whatever and get a good cartridge. I would only really worry about the actual turntable if you are going to be trying to scratch.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You just opened pandoras box dude
There's a million turntables out there that could do the job, and whatever you get, someone is always gonna disagree on either it's sonic qualities/cable wiring or direct driven vs. belt driven.
Imho these days you can skip the whole phono preamp section before you go into your audio interface, if you buy a turntable with a "line out" function.
It's basically a built in preamp, that was added to most newer turntables, because of popular demand. (The average consumer system does not come with a "phono" input these days)
I have 4 Technic 1210's, and 2 Stanton Str8.150's.
The Technics require a preamp, or in my case a dj-mixer, and i love them because i've been using them all my life.
But TBH i really dig the fact that on my Stanton's i can just throw them on "line" and go straight into my MPC/Daw/Whatever.
As for cartridges? Any decent Shure/Stanton/Ortofob will do, but get one that can handle backspin, cause you will be cuing backwards trying to catch those breaks...
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
those Pro-ject:debut carbon & the Music Hall-mmf2.2 are so sleek looking.

nice thread b/c i had the same question.

i was looking at the Audio-Technica AT-LP120 Direct Drive Turntable with USB
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Any USB turntable will work IMO. You'll get a better sounding sample strait from the record to a wav, or AIFF in your case, then you would off of youtube or wherever. The needle is important but just having the record with out killing its info via mp3 rip. you should be happy with any needle. Of course this is gearslutz so feel free to google the most expensive highly rated (_______). Lol
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
good info,Yeah, I've been e-digging a lot but I'm going out and about to find different records now
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
e digging can be all good, but really does not come close to the crazy amount of variation and gold that digging in the crates provides. Wise move guys.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
i use vestax pdx-3000's and a handytrax. the pdx's are solid
Old 23rd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
if i was going to use the turntable for sampling along with just general listening is there a major difference between

Audio-Technica AT-LP120 Turntable at zZounds

and

Audio-Technica ATLP60 USB Turntable at zZounds

there's a decent price difference, and it looks like one is a belt drive and one is a direct drive. Any insight would be helpful
Old 23rd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noidea. ➑️
Any USB turntable will work IMO. You'll get a better sounding sample strait from the record to a wav, or AIFF in your case, then you would off of youtube or wherever. The needle is important but just having the record with out killing its info via mp3 rip. you should be happy with any needle. Of course this is gearslutz so feel free to google the most expensive highly rated (_______). Lol
I don't really think it's fair to compare improperly recorded vinyl, poor quality formats, etc. That's like telling someone who uses a usb headset that any condenser mic will be better, it will, but you are starting with something that is very sub par so upgrading to something that is still sub par, but better, isn't a good solution, IMO.

I know for a fact that using a cheap $10 cartridge though an otherwise immaculate setup will sound like garbage. It may sound better than a poor quality MP3 but probably worse than a well recorded vinyl album, converted to MP3. I don't now, I don't use MP3's, just my guess.

However, most affordable turntables don't have much of a sonic signature at all. Same with phono preamps/mixers. If you are in the $100-500 range, they are going to sound really similar. So, in an affordable setup, the cartridge is really what's going to affect the signal differently than the next setup.

I am not implying that you can't get super crazy turntables and expensive phono pres that can sound better, it's just rather costly to do so. In my experimentation of realtively "regular" stuff, from various turntables, mixers, standalone pre's, vintage hi fi receivers, etc, it's really not a huge difference between each. My Marantz sounds a bit "fatter" than my Stanton mixer but not enough to justify it's hugeness and 55ish lbs.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I used to own a pair of Numark TTs a few years ago with a Stanton catridge and they did the job. I got some very nice sounding samples out of that setup.

Now I recently bought an Audio-Technica 1240USB turntable and a Shure M44G catridge. The sound I get is pretty low, but I think it's very clear and balanced. The M44G is a great catridge that may give you more head room to EQ things, but the output is somewhat low. It's all good though, cause when you boost frequencies you get all that grimy vinyl goodness a lot of hip hop heads love.
Old 23rd January 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd Degree ➑️
I don't really think it's fair to compare improperly recorded vinyl, poor quality formats, etc. That's like telling someone who uses a usb headset that any condenser mic will be better, it will, but you are starting with something that is very sub par so upgrading to something that is still sub par, but better, isn't a good solution, IMO.

I know for a fact that using a cheap $10 cartridge though an otherwise immaculate setup will sound like garbage. It may sound better than a poor quality MP3 but probably worse than a well recorded vinyl album, converted to MP3. I don't now, I don't use MP3's, just my guess.

However, most affordable turntables don't have much of a sonic signature at all. Same with phono preamps/mixers. If you are in the $100-500 range, they are going to sound really similar. So, in an affordable setup, the cartridge is really what's going to affect the signal differently than the next setup.

I am not implying that you can't get super crazy turntables and expensive phono pres that can sound better, it's just rather costly to do so. In my experimentation of realtively "regular" stuff, from various turntables, mixers, standalone pre's, vintage hi fi receivers, etc, it's really not a huge difference between each. My Marantz sounds a bit "fatter" than my Stanton mixer but not enough to justify it's hugeness and 55ish lbs.
True that. I agree with you, I just wanted to keep it simple if he's just starting to dig. I didn't want to be the guy who's tell him to get a u87 from a USB mic ya know. Gotta crawl I guess, and with the tech today the low end is moving up! I feel you though guess I should have worded it better.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noidea. ➑️
True that. I agree with you, I just wanted to keep it simple if he's just starting to dig. I didn't want to be the guy who's tell him to get a u87 from a USB mic ya know. Gotta crawl I guess, and with the tech today the low end is moving up! I feel you though guess I should have worded it better.
No, I totally feel you. I guess I forget how much exists on the net now because when I started, there wasn't much to get off the net, anything you got was from another person who recorded their own vinyl, not these sample "farms" you can find now.

The other thing, at least for me, is that my turntables were dirt cheap compared to what I have spent in records lol, even though I would say at least 1/3 of my collection is dollar bin, another 1/3 is under $3-5 per record. $1 records are cheap but 1000 of them, well do the math. Not sure how many I really have, probably a lot more than that, just saying.
Old 25th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS ➑️
if i was going to use the turntable for sampling along with just casual listening is there a major difference between

Audio-Technica AT-LP120 Turntable at zZounds

and

Audio-Technica ATLP60 USB Turntable at zZounds

there's a decent price difference, and it looks like one is a belt drive and one is a direct drive. Any insight would be helpful
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
thanks guys. i ended up ordering the stanton STR8-150. on board preamp... good for scratching down the line.. and it's built like a tank from all the info I gathered. it's arriving tomorrow.. i'm going to see how the basic setup sounds before I check out other cartridges.
Old 1st February 2013
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh4! ➑️
thanks guys. i ended up ordering the stanton STR8-150. on board preamp... good for scratching down the line.. and it's built like a tank from all the info I gathered. it's arriving tomorrow.. i'm going to see how the basic setup sounds before I check out other cartridges.
Horrible choice!! Jk, glad you found something, happy diggin!
πŸ“ Reply