Quantcast
48 khz vs 192 (yeti vs yeti pro vs behringer c1u - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
48 khz vs 192 (yeti vs yeti pro vs behringer c1u
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
48 khz vs 192 (yeti vs yeti pro vs behringer c1u

i've searched all around for a couple days and haven't found an answer to this question.

i was all set to get the blue yeti (haven't read a single bad review, audio samples sounded great) until i walked into guitar center and they didn't have it. the guy advised me to get the pro version. i will not be using the xlr inputs on the pro, so that's not a factor. what's confusing me in the yeti has a 'maximum recording resolution' of 48 khz/16-bit and the pro has 192 khz/24-bit. the jump is pretty big but i don't know exactly what it means. all i will be doing is recording vocals while mostly just 2 tracking. but i still want the best possible quality from the mic.

on another note, i was sitting in on a session with a band the other night and asked the engineer, who has an impressive resume of major artists, about it. he said if it's a usb mic he doesn't recommend anything, but then said that actually, to do myself a favor and get the behringer c1-u. it's usb and $60 compared to $100 for the yeti and $250 for the pro. the word he used for it was 'amazing.'

i'm pretty lost here. i know gearslutz members are pretty particular but i'm not gonna pretend like i know something i don't.. so any help i can get concerning these 3 mics is appreciated.
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
nothing?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Do yourself a favor and buy an audio interface and an affordable(but good) condenser mic. You can buy a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for $109 at B&H Photo, and buy an AT-2020 for $65 at Amazon. That's already cheaper than a Blue Yeti Pro. If you want you can buy the AT-2035, which is an even better mic, to match the Yeti Pro's price. If you must choose a USB mic I recommend getting the Yeti Pro. It's also an xlr microphone, so it's future proof for the time being

Last edited by Kaotik Evolution; 19th January 2013 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: To specify model number
Old 19th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
so i will definitely notice getting that mic with the preamp even though it's cheaper than the yeti pro?

putting the yeti vs. the pro, why is it worth the price increase of $94 to $250? i have no idea so that's what i'm trying to figure out. it'd be nice to have, but the xlr inputs aren't make or break for me.
Old 20th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
any more help/opinions?
Old 21st January 2013

🎧 10 years
There's very little point recording at 192k on a $100 interface.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
well it's usb so there is no interface... it's just plug and play.

if there isn't going to be a notable differnece between the standard and the pro, obviously i'll go with the pro. although having the xlr inputs for the future sound good, but since i'm on a budget i'm making my decision based on right now.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
U are gonna wanna throw that blue yeti away. Do urself and buy the focusrite interface and try to get the best mic that ur pockets can afford.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
if i buy that i'll only be able to afford the behringer c1, which is $40 compared to the actual price of the yeti of $150 and the pro of $250. is that preamp really gonna make the mic superior to the others? i have no idea how it works that's why i'm asking.

and the samples i've heard from the yeti are really good.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Think of it like this..

If I get a interface for $200 and I know the interface is goo and I can use it for a long time until I want to upgrade.

+ even a cheap mic, maybe I don't like the mic to much but atleast I can record now and mess with things and it will sound pretty good and I can always upgrade mics later when I know what I'm really looking for after experimenting.

Or...

I can get a USB mic that probably won't sound even half as good as the combination above. If I don't like the quality then I will have to save up all over again and start all over with a interface and mic combo. Or buy another USB mic that probably sounds worse and take another chance.

So start off with it separate and upgrade pieces as u go.. Or buy a all in one unit and start all over again in another 6 months to a year.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
so that particular Focusrite preamp with a mic around $50 is gonna sound better than the yeti pro? if so i'll prolly go with that.. another question tho, what else do i have to buy to actually be able to use that preamp? like to plug it into my computer. i've never used one before. wouldn't i have to buy a new soundcard or something? that seems like i'm getting into a little too much more than i can spend right now, even with the cheap price of that pre and a mic.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nope it's a USB plug that goes str8 to your CPU. Nothing else is needed except for mic cord and mic stand of course, probably a pop filter. As for the mic find one that goes for around 100-200 and I bet u can find it used for around 50-80 $$. Or even Craigslist has good deals at times. Could probably find that preamp used for half price too. N I haven't heard the yeti pro, but I have heard numerous other USB mics and I haven't heard any that sound great yet.
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I owned a Yeti, and I can tell you it sounds like total ass. Especially if you were to try and use it on vocals.

I bought one to mess with on my iPad, never to record vocals. But one day I was stuck somewhere without my studio, and tried to use it on a vocal session, and the output was harsh thin ass.

For context, I am a seasoned engineer, I do about 100 tracking sessions a year, with mics like Pelusos, Neumanns, AKGs, Bock, and even everyone's favorite, the SM7b. So I have a lot of experience at getting a good sound, plenty of tracks to prove it.

I would NEVER want to try and use the Yeti, and I'm sure the Yeti pro is just MORE ASS SOUND. Don't get fooled. I've bought a ton of the BLUE USB products, and so far they all suck. I rarely make opinions about subjective matters, but this I feel is not subjective... DON'T BUY THAT PIECE OF S**T

Maybe the Behringer is cool, IDK, that dirtbag company can sometimes get it right.. I agree with Stackx, get your money up a bit and get something better.. I know u want something simple and cheap but we are trying to save you from having a setup that totally blows.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
thanks for the opinions, they def. help.

i heard that recording with a default soundcard is terrible.. is that true or would it not apply in this situation?
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Would not apply. The focusrite or whatever interface u decide to get (I keep saying focusrite cause honestly I haven't heard anything better for the price that they sell their stuff) will be replacing your sound card. Think of it as a sound card/preamp/converter combo. Meant for recording not meant for watching YouTube videos on headphones like the one that came with ur CPU

Also don't take offense when I say this... But these questions should be asked in the newbie section.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
nah no offense taken.. i've never really put this much thought into recording at home so i'm kind of lost on everything.

but let me get this right just so i'm sure.. me purchasing that preamp and a mic cheaper than the yeti is gonna sound better than the yeti, which is $150, because of the preamp alone? just want to be sure cause i've heard really good vocals from the yeti.

let me put it like this.. if i can get vocals from a mic that aren't gonna make you say 'damn this sounds bad' when you listen to it,it's straight. it's obv. not gonna be the flashiest, but as long as that thought doesn't come into your head thats all i need. if it's even a lower level of an enjoyable listen, it's all good.
Old 21st January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by caineg92 ➑️
nah no offense taken.. i've never really put this much thought into recording at home so i'm kind of lost on everything.

but let me get this right just so i'm sure.. me purchasing that preamp and a mic cheaper than the yeti is gonna sound better than the yeti, which is $150, because of the preamp alone? just want to be sure cause i've heard really good vocals from the yeti.

let me put it like this.. if i can get vocals from a mic that aren't gonna make you say 'damn this sounds bad' when you listen to it,it's straight. it's obv. not gonna be the flashiest, but as long as that thought doesn't come into your head thats all i need. if it's even a lower level of an enjoyable listen, it's all good.
If you want to build up a home studio for homerecording, a decent audio interface (like the one recommended here) is one of the basic things you should get. USB-Microphones have some sort of built in minimum audio interface and preamp, but they only work with this specific mic, because they're built in - you can't plug any other gear into it. If it's more expensive, then because of the miniaturization that is needed to fit two devices that normally come in decent sized boxes into the small body of a microphone - not because of superior audio quality. On the contrary, I never heard of an USB mic whose built in preamp/audio interface could hold up against even cheap low end stand alone preamps/interfaces.

So going for a standalone audio interface AND a regular microphone will the better choice - in audio quality, price and upgradability.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
what about that focusrite preamp and the audio technica at2020? any opinions?

also looking at the art usb dual pre, which is a lot cheaper... but obviously i don't know what to look for when buying these.
Amazon.com: ART USB Dual Pre: Musical Instruments
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
what about that focusrite preamp and the audio technica at2020? any opinions?

also looking at the art usb dual pre, which is a lot cheaper... but obviously i don't know what to look for when buying these.
Amazon.com: ART USB Dual Pre: Musical Instruments
ART has some great stuff in the upper "prosumer" price range (like the ART PRO MPA II), but I read some bad reviews about their real cheap stuff.
But maybe someone who owns that particular device can tell you more about it. As for the AT2020, that was my first condenser mic, and I personally think it's really a great mic for the price - it still gets used a lot, although I have much more expensive mics in my little collection now.

I would go for the Focusrite and the AT2020 - makes a really nice starter kit for little money.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
so you'd say that setup has the possibility of recording quality vocals? like i said i'm just looking for a setup that's capable of producing quality that will not make somebody get the idea of it being cheap or bad quality.. if i can get that from this setup vs. spending 150-250 on the yeti or yeti pro, i'll go with it.

what does everybody think about the best mic in the price range of the at2020?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
so you'd say that setup has the possibility of recording quality vocals? like i said i'm just looking for a setup that's capable of producing quality that will not make somebody get the idea of it being cheap or bad quality.. if i can get that from this setup vs. spending 150-250 on the yeti or yeti pro, i'll go with it.

what does everybody think about the best mic in the price range of the at2020?
First of all: If you're just starting with homerecording, there's a lot of things to learn to make your recording sound professional. Does this combination have the potential of producing quality vocal recordings? - yes, if done by an experienced engineer. There's a lot of things to learn first, before you will be able to produce something that sounds like a song you bought on iTunes. First of all there's room treatment, mic placement and micing techniques. Then, if you want to mix your tracks by yourself, you have to learn about the basic tools that will help you getting the sound you want. You have to train your ears to identify problematic spots in your mix, and how to fix them. You can just search the forum on some of the things I mentioned to find tutorials, hints and tips for beginners.

As for the "best mic" - there's no such thing in any price range - because every mic has its strengths and weaknesses and the best thing to do would be try some different mics until you find the one that matches your voice and your musical style best.
Within the 100$ price range the air gets thin, though. There's a lot of cheap crap and some real "bang for the buck" mics. The AT2020 is one of the latter, imho. It's quite neutral (some people here find it a little "harsh", meaning, it emphasizes the high frequencies more than they like, but you can easily get it under control with a little EQing), has a good signal-to-noise ratio (meaning, you get a loud and clear signal without any audible noise) and it's quite versatile - I like it on a lot of sources, male voices, female voices and it's also great for recording acoustic guitar.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
i googled some reviews for the focusrite 2i2 and found some pretty good audio samples.. also heard about the presonus tubepre.. and read that if you switch out the tube it's a really good pre. any opinion on that one? and since it isn't usb what exactly would i need to get going with it?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i googled some reviews for the focusrite 2i2 and found some pretty good audio samples.. also heard about the presonus tubepre.. and read that if you switch out the tube it's a really good pre. any opinion on that one? and since it isn't usb what exactly would i need to get going with it?
The Presonus Tube Pre is a standalone preamp, meaning it's only the preamp, without an audio interface - you would need an additional audio interface to use it. The Focusrite on the other hand is a combination of audio interface and preamp.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
There's very little point recording at 192k on a $100 interface.
There's very little point recording at 192k.. period.

88.1 or 96 maybe, but honestly... 44.1k is fine too.
Old 21st January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
WATCH THIS CLIP!

skip to 3:24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U50Fdvivv7k

i have a samson co3u usb mic that i've had for 4 years but haven't really used.. went on youtube to see what people get out of it.. this guy posted 3 audio samples of vocals recorded with the co1u, which is a step below the co3u.

... seems like if all i'm recording are rap vocals (which let's face it isn't that difficult) i should be able to get a sufficent sound, especially if my mic is the upgrade from this one.

note: i know a lot of this depends on the person. i just want to have a setup that i know is possible to use to acheive listenable results.
Old 22nd January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
WATCH THIS CLIP!

Samson CO1U demo audio clips!! Hear what it does! - YouTube

i have a samson co3u usb mic that i've had for 4 years but haven't really used.. went on youtube to see what people get out of it.. this guy posted 3 audio samples of vocals recorded with the co1u, which is a step below the co3u.

... seems like if all i'm recording are rap vocals (which let's face it isn't that difficult) i should be able to get a sufficent sound, especially if my mic is the upgrade from this one.

note: i know a lot of this depends on the person. i just want to have a setup that i know is possible to use to acheive listenable results.
Well, first of all, I'm not overly impressed by the quality of the recording on the video - it sounds sibilant, and there's quite some audible white noise on it, also the reverb on the vocals might hide some weaknesses that would stand out more clearly in a dry recording.
It's always difficult to judge with youtube's audio quality though.
It's definitely a good source - but a good, professional vocalist may even shine on a crappy mic, you have to distinguish what of the overall quality comes from the source (eg the vocalist) and what from the mic.

But what troubled me most, was the answer this guy gave to one of the comments, where somebody wrote that he had trouble getting a quality close to the recording because of a problematic portion of white noise he's getting with his samson. The guy advises him to get a better USB cable, which is definitely BS

But in the end - if you're happy with the results you get with your samson, stay with it, practise some micing technique, get the best out of it and learn how to mix your recordings. You can still upgrade to a better setup when you get to a point where you get the feeling that you can't improve much further with your current setup and are ready to take the next step.
Old 22nd January 2013

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthinupmysleeve ➑️
There's very little point recording at 192k.. period.

88.1 or 96 maybe, but honestly... 44.1k is fine too.
Well yeah...but even less so on a crap interface!

Quote:
WATCH THIS CLIP!

Samson CO1U demo audio clips!! Hear what it does! - YouTube

Recording vocals of any kind WELL is harder than you think. It's not hard to get a sound into a mic..but to get it to sound good is different. "sufficient" sounds like aiming for mediocrity. To record GOOD vocals in an average bedroom, you need some sort of absorption to get rid of the room ambience. You might not hear it if you're mixing in the same bedroom, but have a listen on headphones - you'll hear a bloke in a bedroom!

Recording good vocals is a lot harder than most people think - hence the reason we spend a lot of time working on badly recorded vocals to make them sound better!

Also - the thing about USB mics is that they're designed as a quick fix - if you're happy monitoring through your computer's inbuilt audio, or fannying around with aggregate drivers, and you have the mic already, go ahead.

But really - if your mic is only $100 or whatever, just how much quality do you think they can put into the construction and so on? For a mic AND what is essentially a preamp/interface?

really in your situation you should go for something like the focusrite, and the best mic you can afford - if you can't afford more than $50, I'd really save up. Have a few nights in or something. Work some odd jobs. Look 2nd hand. Anything other than buying the absolute cheapest crap mic.
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What mechanical kit can I buy that will allow me to fix cars? Like not the best kit, but the cheapest one that will be good enough to where people won't be like "hey your not a mechanic!"

What's the best tools I can buy to start doing surgery? Like not the best tools but I want to have the tools I need so that people don't know that I'm not really a doctor!

So u think me buying a car and then getting the rims and system later on would be better than getting a car that already has that stuff but barely runs?
Old 22nd January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The other thing I might add... if you buy a USB microphone, you have an audio device with a built in microphone you are stuck with. If you want a different/better microphone, you need to buy a better USB microphone rather than just a microphone. You are limiting your choices as a result. On the other hand USB microphones are convenient! If you care more about portability than expandability, it's a good choice. If you think you'll be doing this a while buy a quality USB audio device and a separate microphone.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
here is an OLD sample of me recording with this mic. don't pay too much attention to it, like i said it's really old (especially the performance. the beat, vocals + mixing were all done in about 20 minutes, literally.)

i made the beat (horrible i know, first time making a full beat, was just messing around) and recorded the vocals (the song was 2 tracked) on my samson c03u usb mic on a cheap laptop standing in the middle of a living room and 'mixed' it using beat by dre headphones.. i'm pretty sure the mixing took less time than making the beat and recording it.

i'm just wondering with the sound i got, in your opinions do you think it's possible to get listenable quality vocals from this setup.. i know it's a tricky question but i figured an audio sample would help.
Attached Files

verse.mp3 (1.45 MB, 1884 views)

πŸ“ Reply