Quantcast
at4040 sibilance help!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
at4040 sibilance help!!!
Old 18th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
at4040 sibilance help!!!

ok so basically i have a audio technica at4040 going into a fast track pro. i love how smooth and quiet the vocals are. one thing and maybe the only thing i dislike is that the sibilance is bad, its not super bright as a mxl 990 would be, but more of raspy/scratchy sound. its as if theres something missing that wont allow me to even the sibilance out. i can never find the sweet spot when de essing. i have also heard people say the same thing and i believe in the at4050 this was improved. now in the future i plan to get a focusrite scarlett 18i6 with a golden age pre 73.

for now, how would i fix the de essing on this particular mic? i dont have a real booth but i have it set up to where i can get decent vocals record. its just my d essing that i need help with. i may need help all around, but i think my quality is decent enough and i'll improve with time.
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Find out the freq range of where the sharpest "esses" are most prominent. Then EQ it down.
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruxify ➑️
Find out the freq range of where the sharpest "esses" are most prominent. Then EQ it down.
Yea it doesn't exactly help much but I do use logic 9 stock eq. Can you recommend another that may do a better job?
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Guru
Spitfish De-esser
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago ➑️
Spitfish De-esser
I want to try that but doesn't work with Mac or logic at least
Old 19th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Never mind. I guess I can get it to work, before I wasn't able too. I'll try it and see of it works
Old 19th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm in the same boat as you (as in the same mic and problem), I've tried the spitfish and a couple others but the R-DeEsser seems to do an ok job but I've got problems making the vocals sit in the mix without a lot of work. Don't know if a different mic would help.
Old 20th January 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nino213 ➑️
I'm in the same boat as you (as in the same mic and problem), I've tried the spitfish and a couple others but the R-DeEsser seems to do an ok job but I've got problems making the vocals sit in the mix without a lot of work. Don't know if a different mic would help.
what do you have it running into? i know i can get great quality, but i feel my interface/mic pre needs to upgraded.
Old 20th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
bump.. anyone with this mic care to help?
Old 21st January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesp ➑️
what do you have it running into? i know i can get great quality, but i feel my interface/mic pre needs to upgraded.
It's just going into the mbox pro 3, you could listen to some songs I've recorded with it and hear what can be done with it. I'm waiting til Friday, latest Monday with placing an order for a pre to see how it sounds if it doesn't help I'll be changing mic but check in and I'll keep you posted.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Instead of micing the vocalist straight-on, try micing the vocalist from off to the side. Angle the mic about 45 degrees and put it off-center, so it points towards the singer's mouth. You might also try raising the mic an inch or so.
Old 21st January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Also u might be mic'ing to close.
Old 22nd January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I own the AT 4040 and I love the sound I can get out of it for vocal recording. I too had the sibilance problem and there's two ways to fix it:

1. Record the vocalist at a slight angle to the left or right.

2. Use Waves DeEsser and start messing around the 5500 hz area for male vocals, that seems to do the trick for me.
πŸ“ Reply