Quantcast
Best entry level software for DJs ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best entry level software for DJs ?
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best entry level software for DJs ?

My Cousin is a talented DJ who’s been doing it the old-school way for many years; mixing with CD decks and a mixer and is now curious about experimenting with a step by step fashion, so has been looking at various software packages.

I'm from a recording background but have no experience of DJ-ing so was about to recommend a standard generic DAW such as Cubase lite, Sonar etc.. then I realised that there would most probably be software out there with a specific feature set, designed particularly for DJ-ing.

I know this is a recording forum, not a DJ-forum.. but just wondered if anyone knew anything about DJ-ing and could recommend some good entry level software.

He was initially looking at Fruityloops (FL 10)

Many thanks in anticipation.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I ended up copping a Numark V7 but I came from wax. If he juggles or does anything other than blend its a good look. Comes with Serato Itch. Its pretty fun for digital.
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think Serato Itch is a great starter software, limited to 2 decks so its real simple, real neat, not alot of ways to **** it up if you don't know what your doing in the software.

I used the Twitch for awhile before I moved onto the S4+Traktor, it may not have jogwheels/have that DJ feel but it was definately a handy device. I might still use it for some of my clubnight gigs where I cant really imagine my big ass S4 setup being able to fit lol.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Many kind thanks Jrides & BeastmanP ..

Keep them coming - if i get a shortlist at least he will have some options to consider prior to purchasing.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Serato
Old 17th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Virtual Dj

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 17th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 ➡️
Serato
+1

Coming from Technics 1200s, I found this very intuitive with little learning curve. Very powerful.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If he already has a decent ASIO soundcard, Mixxx is free. Works with Serato and Traktor timecode, plus many controllers.

Mixxx - Free MP3 DJ Mixing Software
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Serato is not starter software. For someone from a cd background too? Meh
Its great but possibly overkill

Depends
Old 17th January 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
hello
Any one can tell me about a best DJ software. I need it very height required. please give me a replay.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➡️
Serato is not starter software. For someone from a cd background too? Meh
Its great but possibly overkill

Depends
It's the most straightforward DJ software I've ever used. I know guitarists and people who wouldn't know the first thing about DJ'ing that have done gigs with it without a problem, and if he gets work DJ'ing there's about a 85% chance that the venue will have serato in the backline, it honestly makes no sense to me to suggest anything else unless Serato isn't ENOUGH for his needs...
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pqlia ➡️
My Cousin is a talented DJ who’s been doing it the old-school way for many years; mixing with CD decks and a mixer
CD decks and mixer are the old school way ??? Wonder what Kool Herc was up to then....
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I would say Virtual dj. Think its free too.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Many thanks to all for this shortlist!! It’s very appreciated.

Please excuse my complete lack of knowledge regarding DJ-ing/DJ-software… I’m a bass guitarist/producer with no experience of DJ-ing. I just wondered if on these ‘virtual DJ’ softwares one can also create a DJ mix, step by step (not in real time) … in a manner which utilises something akin to a standard DAW timeline??

Thnx.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Please excuse my complete lack of knowledge regarding DJ-ing/DJ-software… I’m a bass guitarist/producer with no experience of DJ-ing. I just wondered if on these ‘virtual DJ’ softwares one can also create a DJ mix, step by step (not in real time) … in a manner which utilises something akin to a standard DAW timeline??

Thnx.
... anyone ??
Old 17th January 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Well Serato Itch is free so might as well tell him to download that. The features are limited without a controller but from what I understand your cousin will be getting a controller right? I just got the Numark NS6 and I've been messing around with it on Itch and it's pretty straight forward. Think I'm going to check Traktor Pro 2 out though because from what I hear it's a bit more intuitive, and has better midi-mapping capabilities as well as better effects. Still, Itch is a good, free starting point.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Thnx.
Ableton Live, Mixmeister, or Acid Pro will do that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout ➡️
Ableton Live, Mixmeister, or Acid Pro will do that.
Ha! I was just about to suggest Ableton Live!!! again i have no experience of it but a very good DJ friend has just told me that he's getting it due to it's ability to 'combine live production values and options with DJ needs' . . .
Old 17th January 2013
Serato or Traktor and if you would like to scratch like real vinyl use a Numark NS6 or NS7 dj controller with motor drive jogwheels like a real turntable.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
My Cousin is a talented DJ who’s been doing it the old-school way for many years; mixing with CD decks and a mixer and is now curious about experimenting with a step by step fashion, so has been looking at various software packages.
With the odd chance of sounding like a dick here, the words "Talented dj", "CD" & "Old-school" don't mix. Or should i say blend.
That being said, dropping a vote for Serato here.
With the software & control CD's he can continue his way, without ever burning another.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezionjd ➡️
With the odd chance of sounding like a dick here, the words "Talented dj", "CD" & "Old-school" don't mix. Or should i say blend.
That being said, dropping a vote for Serato here.
With the software & control CD's he can continue his way, without ever burning another.
Don’t get too caught up in my jargon... i.e. 'old school' etc... I’m probably just showing my lack of experience in the DJ business ...

The suggestions so far are very helpful.
Old 17th January 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffael77 ➡️
Serato or Traktor and if you would like to scratch like real vinyl use a Numark NS6 or NS7 dj controller with motor drive jogwheels like a real turntable.
Another vote for itch. Just to clear up some misinformation, the ns6 doesn't have motorized platters or vinyl-the ns7 does. The ns6 has platters with the same resolution tho. I use the ns6 with itch. I wish i would have bought the ns7 instead when somebody on GS advised me too. But the ns6 is nice too
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Mind ➡️
Another vote for itch. Just to clear up some misinformation, the ns6 doesn't have motorized platters or vinyl-the ns7 does. The ns6 has platters with the same resolution tho. I use the ns6 with itch. I wish i would have bought the ns7 instead when somebody on GS advised me too. But the ns6 is nice too
Sorry, you're right only the NS7 has it but it's expensive to lol.
Old 18th January 2013
Quote:

I'm from a recording background but have no experience of DJ-ing so was about to recommend a standard generic DAW such as Cubase lite, Sonar etc.. then I realised that there would most probably be software out there with a specific feature set, designed particularly for DJ-ing.

I know this is a recording forum, not a DJ-forum.. but just wondered if anyone knew anything about DJ-ing and could recommend some good entry level software.

He was initially looking at Fruityloops (FL 10)

Many thanks in anticipation.
📝 Reply