The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AKAI MPC3000 Complete Frustration!
Old 18th January 2013 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
You should have sticked to the 3k for a lil longer man. It is the most easiest sequencer I ever worked with. Once you get your SCSI chain all hooked up and sample some sounds in you will fly on it so quickly. No comparison to a 4k, sry. Mine has an internal zip and I couldn't care less for a cf card reader. If I need drums that are not on one of my zip disks I just sample them from Pro Tools, takes less than 2secs. The whole sampling, loading, saving process on the 4k was alot slower for me (and yes, even with aksys). Please stop posting that it is too oldschoold to work with, it is simply not true. If you dont like it, ok, but still plenty of big cats rocking this machine for a reason. It seems like nowadays people try to incorporate stuff into their DAW way of thinking. Take the tools as they are and dont try to change them, because it is not going to work. If you want all of your 200gb samples instantly available at your fingertips, get yourself maschine or another software sampler, cus thats what they are great for. These are just tools, use them for what they were done. Maybe you dont even need a MPC at all, if you cant make it work for you. I see people selling their hardware sequencers because they dont get it to sync correctly with their DAW, which is ridiculous. You dont sell your guitar because it has no midi, dont you. Now if you dont care about the sound that much and only want the newest features, I can dig it. But I like to have different tools for different applications. To each its own.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calaubin ➡️
You should have sticked to the 3k for a lil longer man. It is the most easiest sequencer I ever worked with. Once you get your SCSI chain all hooked up and sample some sounds in you will fly on it so quickly. No comparison to a 4k, sry. Mine has an internal zip and I couldn't care less for a cf card reader. If I need drums that are not on one of my zip disks I just sample them from Pro Tools, takes less than 2secs. The whole sampling, loading, saving process on the 4k was alot slower for me (and yes, even with aksys). Please stop posting that it is too oldschoold to work with, it is simply not true. If you dont like it, ok, but still plenty of big cats rocking this machine for a reason. It seems like nowadays people try to incorporate stuff into their DAW way of thinking. Take the tools as they are and dont try to change them, because it is not going to work. If you want all of your 200gb samples instantly available at your fingertips, get yourself maschine or another software sampler, cus thats what they are great for. These are just tools, use them for what they were done. Maybe you dont even need a MPC at all, if you cant make it work for you. I see people selling their hardware sequencers because they dont get it to sync correctly with their DAW, which is ridiculous. You dont sell your guitar because it has no midi, dont you. Now if you dont care about the sound that much and only want the newest features, I can dig it. But I like to have different tools for different applications. To each its own.
I don't know that I ever said anything about it being too "old school" to work with... Hell I like old school in many cases (especially when it comes to synths, compressors & preamps lol). Maybe you read into someone else saying that, but it surely wasn't me. What works for one person might not work well for another & as for me, the 3K just didn't fit my current workflow the way I wanted it to (& due to that, I decided that another model would be better for right now)... I may go for the rack version eventually (just to trigger kicks/snares/toms if nothing else) or possibly even another 3K if I can find one with vailixi OS that won't force me to downgrade from Windows 7 64 to Windows xp 32 just to swap sounds between the pc/3K... But for now i'm str8 with the 2000XL-MCD (+soon-to-be-paid-off 4K lol). Yea, the 3K arguably hits harder which was basically the main reason I got it, but at least i'll have the option to load sounds str8 in without having to sample EVERYTHING (which was all I had the option of doing w/ the 3K)... It just wasn't a smooth process for me & the flexibility/time-saving tools found in the newer models is really what I need right now, especially with my work schedule

-trax

🎧 10 years
Well if anyone still has these issues, I had a nice workaround when I used the 3000.

First of all you install wavsnd: Wav2snd
Just drag and drop wavefiles onto the icon and it will make a copy of the files in snd format.

Remember to keep filenames at 8 characters. Get a renamer software that can rename multiple files.

For transfering from PC, get ubuntu on a usb stick and boot PC from it. Ubuntu has no problem reading MPC formatted disks.

Sounds complicated, but once up and running, it`s quite easy.

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey trax, never said you dont like working with oldschool gear. I am not sure if you gave it a serious chance, because there are workarounds for everything. All I wanted to say is that you dont need all the bells and whistles like CF Cards, graphic editor or Usb to work fast on this machine, because it really is, just differently. But I hope you will find what your looking for in another machine, maybe the 4k or even the renaissance. Its all good if you need the modern file management but modern doesnt mean faster! I love DAW's and modern computers too, just for different reasons. Like I said, to each his own. Wish you all the best in finding what you need.
📝 Reply