Quantcast
Samples with Drums - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samples with Drums
Old 7th December 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Samples with Drums

So this may be a dumb question that can easily be answered, but I'm gonna go with the mindset that there are no stupid questions.

So i have been sampling for about a year now, and I am frequently held back by the drums in a sample. I like to use my own drums with a sample, and when my drums are put together with the original drums from a song they obviously do not mesh too well. This mostly occurs when trying to use vocal samples, but I have also ran into this when working with regular instrument samples.

What I am getting at is, what technique do you use when working around (or eliminating) drums from a sample. Do you chop the beat in a way that the drums won't interfere? Or are they any secrets to phase out the drums so that they can be layered properly with my own?

Again, this may be a pointless question and may truly show what a noob I am to production. But it has been on my mind over the past few months, and would really help with my production if I new what techniques all of you guys are using.

Thanks guys
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
using a high pass filter will help remove the low end of the kicks.

but the high frequencies of the snares/hats/cymbals are pretty much stuck there.

you could low pass the sample but that would affect the instrumentation you're wanting to sample.
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
If you chopping your samples, then try adjusting the attack of the sample to get rid of the clickyness, and then just layer with your drums. Works like a charm most of the time.
Old 7th December 2012

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird712 ➑️
So this may be a dumb question that can easily be answered, but I'm gonna go with the mindset that there are no stupid questions.

So i have been sampling for about a year now, and I am frequently held back by the drums in a sample. I like to use my own drums with a sample, and when my drums are put together with the original drums from a song they obviously do not mesh too well. This mostly occurs when trying to use vocal samples, but I have also ran into this when working with regular instrument samples.

What I am getting at is, what technique do you use when working around (or eliminating) drums from a sample. Do you chop the beat in a way that the drums won't interfere? Or are they any secrets to phase out the drums so that they can be layered properly with my own?

Again, this may be a pointless question and may truly show what a noob I am to production. But it has been on my mind over the past few months, and would really help with my production if I new what techniques all of you guys are using.

Thanks guys
PLEASE READ THE FORUM RULES!! It's so annoying when ppl double post in different sections. You already have a thread going here...

https://gearspace.com/board/newbie-a...les-drums.html
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just chop your sample everytime there's a kick, snare, hihat or any other percussive element.
Put your own drums on top and play with the samples in the kit untill it sounds right.
Find a way to use it to tiur advantage, norhing wrobg with drums in a sample.
Think of it as a bonus drumloop
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
To recap what's been said and what I would do....compress the sample with a fast attack compressor to take away the punch of the drums. Then eq the perc out a little (probably hpf possibly set around 200-300hz and lpf set around 12k-14k depending on sample of course! Those numbers could be way more extreme)
Old 7th December 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward ➑️
If you chopping your samples, then try adjusting the attack of the sample to get rid of the clickyness, and then just layer with your drums. Works like a charm most of the time.
This
Similar technique used by Apollo Brown, Kev Brown, Black Milk, Dilla, and Praise.

http://youtu.be/Z3-jFHt8TD4
Kev says a quick blurb at 4:39
Old 7th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Use a low pass filter on the sample to really bury the hi-hats and the brightness of snare hits. If you go back and listen to old Tribe albums and then listen to the orig samples, you'll see they really low-passed quite a bit, yet it doesn't sound muddy or muffled. The crisp hi-end of your beat should be coming from your own drums, not your sample.
Old 8th December 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Chopping is an option, more importantly, regardless of what technique you use, it's very important to find drums that match the sample through sample selection, programming (composition/arrangement) and tuning. Don't try and stick the square peg in the circle, not everything goes with everything ya dig?
Old 8th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio507 ➑️
Don't try and stick the square peg in the circle, not everything goes with everything ya dig?
Says who?

This is music.. if it sounds good it is good.
Old 8th December 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➑️
Says who?

This is music.. if it sounds good it is good.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…