The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording hand claps
Old 23rd July 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Recording hand claps

I need some suggestions on micing and recording hand claps. What mics and compression techniques are you guys using?
Old 23rd July 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Use a decent condenser in omni, and record in a space that has the type of reverberation you want the claps to have. (Big boomy clap - Big boomy space, Dry in your face clap - Dead room)
Don't use compression to track the claps, and run your mic pre fairly conservatively.
Keep at least 3 to 5 feet away from the mic. Any closer and the claps will sound thin. The room sound is a big part of making recorded claps sound natural, and since the attack portion of a clap is much louder than the resulting room reverberation you need to use distance to balance out these elements at the mic capsule.
The best method I have found is to get a few people circled around the mic, and just clap slow quarter notes together free time. After a few seconds you will sync up, and get a few mins of tight sounding claps recorded. Then just seperate, edit, and stack the individual clap segments on seperate tracks. Pan / Mix to taste, and sample them, or fly them in on a grid. Add compression / reverb on the finished comp.
Cheers.
Old 23rd July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGuru
Use a decent condenser in omni, and record in a space that has the type of reverberation you want the claps to have. (Big boomy clap - Big boomy space, Dry in your face clap - Dead room)
Don't use compression to track the claps, and run your mic pre fairly conservatively.
Keep at least 3 to 5 feet away from the mic. Any closer and the claps will sound thin. The room sound is a big part of making recorded claps sound natural, and since the attack portion of a clap is much louder than the resulting room reverberation you need to use distance to balance out these elements at the mic capsule.
The best method I have found is to get a few people circled around the mic, and just clap slow quarter notes together free time. After a few seconds you will sync up, and get a few mins of tight sounding claps recorded. Then just seperate, edit, and stack the individual clap segments on seperate tracks. Pan / Mix to taste, and sample them, or fly them in on a grid. Add compression / reverb on the finished comp.
Cheers.

Thats quality info right there!
Old 23rd July 2006
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Thats a good advice......
Old 24th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
yeah thats cool..for some exotic type of claps dont forget to clap with a bundle of keys or some other percusive type ish!stike
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Awesome thanks Guru!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Whatever you do, record a lot of them and don't line 'em up! heh heh heh
Old 24th July 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
experiment. close. far away. compression. no compression. bathroom, dead room, big room...2 people, 10 people...whatever. ive made great clap sounds doing it many different ways and like to try new ways as much as possible. but yeah, don't get to close to the mic.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm not sayin' it can't be done but..........I tried to record hand claps and used several tracks and doubled tracks etc and it still came out lame. I ended up getting a hand clap from a stock sound cd and imported it , edited and placed it where needed and added some reverb. That turned out real good. If your using a daw and can import wav files try it and see for yourself.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Go to Westlake studio's & use the bathroom where Bruce Swedien recorded handclaps for Michael Jackson!! haha...heh
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
to get some very thick punchy claps, i like to do some tracks with clapping on the trousers.
Old 25th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I like to boost around 200-300htz. and mix palm claps with finger in pom claps, giving you snaps and thuds, place them on multiple tracks and you got a good sound. Boosting low mids helps situations where you need to record up close... Say if you had a heavy reverb room and wanted a dead clap. Get close, add some low mid or high lows and mix the different types of clapping.
Old 26th July 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
A good clapper is key...
Old 27th July 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
leave the mic on when u take a girl home!
just dont play romantic music too close to it or you will get feedback

TTB

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirocco
leave the mic on when u take a girl home!
just dont play romantic music too close to it or you will get feedback

LMAO!!!! I've Done That!!heh
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPraze
A good clapper is key...
Gotta agree with this. Different people will clap differently. I like a clapper with a good "thud"
Old 1st August 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I've had some success with having the clapper wear latex gloves.
Old 2nd August 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
wet the clappers hands...it gives it a nice crack!
Old 7th October 2019
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Check out this VST/AU!

πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…