Quantcast
2 very random but relevant questions.. - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
2 very random but relevant questions..
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
2 very random but relevant questions..

first question: i'm looking to buy a vocoder....don't have any experience with vocoders, but the effect I'm trying to get is like justin vernon on "woods" or his work on kanyes intro to dark fantasy. what would you recommend? i've seen some that come with a little mic attached to a synth keyboard..? should i get one of those? is that what vernon uses or is it some software for vocoding?

second question:
could you break down the science of the vocoder? i couldn't find too much online about it.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
My understanding of it is that your vocals go in, get split up by a multi-channel filter, each signal triggers the synth at a different range, and then the original is mixed back in at a low level under the synth's output.

Honestly, you're better off buying a decent AutoTune plugin for whatever DAW you're using, since that's probably what they use in the studios for the tracks you mentioned.

That being said, my microKORG has a pretty solid vocoder on it, along with some excellent sounds. The only downside is the analog knobs which make for really imprecise timing when you're trying to make an electronic track... best to add all the time-based stuff in after.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…