Quantcast
Better Ways To Track Vocals/To Compress or Not To - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Better Ways To Track Vocals/To Compress or Not To
Old 25th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Better Ways To Track Vocals/To Compress or Not To

Usually, I am unhappy with the way that I track vocals, I typically don't like the end result either it is the performance issues or the what the microphone gives me. I currently use and Oktava MK-319. I don't really like it that much.

Typically I will compress the sound instead of automating, and use one compressor to do most of the work if not two. I don't really like that either.
Alot of the work I find comes from rappers with youtube or already mastered two tracks. I typically roll- off the lows to about 120. Then the battle starts from there... any advice about this would be great..

I was wondering if there were any tips or basics on how to get a better perfomance out of the artist and or what to watch for or a better/professional method of tracking vocals that is proven to give great results.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovespeed1130 ➡️
Usually, I am unhappy with the way that I track vocals, I typically don't like the end result either it is the performance issues or the what the microphone gives me. I currently use and Oktava MK-319. I don't really like it that much.

Typically I will compress the sound instead of automating, and use one compressor to do most of the work if not two. I don't really like that either.
Alot of the work I find comes from rappers with youtube or already mastered two tracks. I typically roll- off the lows to about 120. Then the battle starts from there... any advice about this would be great..

I was wondering if there were any tips or basics on how to get a better perfomance out of the artist and or what to watch for or a better/professional method of tracking vocals that is proven to give great results.
first, you should think about having Mike Joly mod your Oktava, it won't be very expensive and it will radically improve your mic. Second proximity to the mic is a huge factor in the sound of a mic get a pop filter and put it 4" away from the mic and tell the rapper they have to be a hand away from the pop filter. As far as compression, I always compress the vocal on the way in. It makes it easier to deal with in the mix, the key is a little goes a long way
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Musiclab is right on. I'd also suggest getting away from the "fix it in the mix" mentality; only press record when you like what you're hearing (I know, sounds simple). There are some good threads on mixing over stereo instrumentals; try a search, I think the subject was mixing for mixtapes. Good luck!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Yup get it to sound great from the get go! N turn down mixing jobs from artist that record over mixed beats in their untreated studio with no knowledge of proper recording technique. It's not worth the headache.
📝 Reply