Quantcast
Wiz Khalifa Harmony type sound - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wiz Khalifa Harmony type sound
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wiz Khalifa Harmony type sound

can I get some tips on how to achieve that harmonizing sound that Wiz done in all his songs? have a look at this one..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5NOO1wKuwA

I know that's is a mix of pitch correction and layering. I've been messing with it but I can't really emulate the sound. I'm really interested in the pitch correction. I just got Antares and I've realized there are a lot more effects you can achieve with it.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
That's what you call auto tune
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I thought there was autotune on it. do you think it is Antares? because I've seen Antares and it has a lot of more features than Logic's built-in pitch correction
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Most likely is auto tune or melodyne. You can do the same with either one though. Make sure to record multiple layers and not be lazy and just use the same one. Try to sing at different pitches yourself and don't expect the plugin to do all the work for you. Also learn how to use graph mode cause I'm pretty sure it wasn't just auto pitch. If you want it to really sound good you have to manually go in there and place them by ear.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
should I send all my layers to one bus and compress them together or should they be compressed on their own track?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deandre816 ➑️
should I send all my layers to one bus and compress them together or should they be compressed on their own track?
That's a pretty general question, but the answer is to compress wherever you feel compression is needed. Maybe only on their own track. Maybe together on a bus. Maybe both. Maybe neither.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
aw sometimes I hate music! so many rules about how there are no rules!!
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Autotune. Chorus delay reverb done

🎧 10 years
Quote:
aw sometimes I hate music! so many rules about how there are no rules!!
But regarding your compression question, it has nothing to do with "rules." It's just common sense ... you would apply compression where compression is needed. That can't be answered in general terms, it's specific to the scenario.

It would be like someone posting on a forum and asking... "How many coats of paint should I put on my living room wall?"
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I get what you mean. what's common knowledge for you is not common for me though. I have been doing this for a year though. it's just I haven't had anyone judge my music so I don't know what's right from what's wrong

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I get what you mean. what's common knowledge for you is not common for me though. I have been doing this for a year though. it's just I haven't had anyone judge my music so I don't know what's right from what's wrong
I definitely wasn't trying to insult you or anything. Everyone was a beginner at one time!

You can find TONS of information on specific subjects (like compression) by searching Gearslutz, google and youtube.

Also, here's a couple other sections you might be interested in...

Tips & Techniques:Tips & Techniques - Gearslutz.com

Newbie audio engineering & production question zone (trial beta forum) - Gearslutz.com
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
this song is a totally different sound but would guys tell me what you think of my mixing? I can't learn anything unless my music is judged by musicians who already know what music should sound like. please take a listen. I just really need the feedback in order to grow as a an artist

Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
here is my attempt at going for that Wiz Khalifa sound I mentioned. pay attention to the hook. this just sounds like unassembled garbage and no matter what I read and try, I feel like I'm just not learning this craft..

Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
aw I just listened to it and it sounds so awful! helpful comments only plz! I know how bad this is
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i just listened to it (threw headphones so bare with me) but it doesn't sound to bad. there are some nasty frequencies in there you might want to eq out. after that you can add some more auto-tune if you want the effect to be more noticeable. personally i don't like it being noticeable, i usually find that point that its noticeable if your really trying to catch it but the average listener wouldn't catch it. if you listen to the khalifa track his vocals are layered on the chorus. when i hear yours i don't hear any layers.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
well I had my layers turned down so that's probably defeating the point. should my layers be close to in volume to each other? I just can't stop my layers from sounding like a big mess when they are turned up. they don't mix properly but I guess that's what mixing is for.
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
well if i was engineering it i would only tell you to harmonize certain areas, if your backgrounds are repeating the whole thing and sung the same way it kinda defeats the purpose. but if you sing different tones at different points in the chorus it will really help bring some more emotion into it. don't put them at the same volume level there meant to play the background but you should be able to hear them and they should blend, use eq and light compression. some good reverb and delay to make them blend smoother. maybe some chorusing effect threw a aux, or maybe even some distortion. play with it and listen to see what might really sound good.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wiz Khalifa - Material - YouTube

back to this song. I think I do hear a bass harmony in there. how many layers of vocals do you think is on this chorus
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

back to this song. I think I do hear a bass harmony in there. how many layers of vocals do you think is on this chorus
It takes 3 to 5 years to get journeyman Good at production alone. You have barely gotten started! If you really love music stick with it! If the media and ignorant beatmakers pretending to be producers cOnvinced you this is easy and anyone can do it, its not TRUE! All tge good **** in life takes work and lots of it! If your love is pure put your 10,000 hours in and master the Craft.

Jazztone
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
you're right about that but I also need the help from veterans like you to steer my in the right path. that's why I take all the suggestions I get, try them out, and then post to see what you guys think
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Deandre you from kcmo ?
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
yes sir. KCMO born and raised
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Since you're sorta new to recording, I figured I'd help you get a good start on your terminology. That effect you refer to is not "harmony" or "harmonizing". Harmony is something totally different.

harΒ·moΒ·ny/?hΓ€rm?n?/

Noun:

1.The combination of simultaneously sounded musical notes to produce chords and chord progressions with a pleasing effect.
2.The study or composition of musical harmony.

So many people in the hip-hop game don't understand or use correct terminology and it creates a lot of confusion in the studio.

But yea...like everyone has said...some sort of auto pitch correction.

Welcome to the wonderful world of recording.

Quote:
can I get some tips on how to achieve that harmonizing sound that Wiz done in all his songs? have a look at this one..

I know that's is a mix of pitch correction and layering. I've been messing with it but I can't really emulate the sound. I'm really interested in the pitch correction. I just got Antares and I've realized there are a lot more effects you can achieve with it.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
do you guys think Wiz is using graphical mode for autotune in that song?
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think wiz was using autotune with a chorus effect
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
do you guys think Wiz is using graphical mode for autotune in that song?
Most likely auto-mode.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
On Wiz's 'Material'

I don't have the session handy, but from what I remember it was mostly a bunch of stacks (doubled main, octave lower, prob a high one, maybe something else) melodyne, eq, comp, verb. I don't usually use chorus on vox and I don't think I did hear. Just panning, tight doubles and maybe a delay or two. Nothing special or tricky. It was a mix tape cut and I was prob pressed for time to finish (as is usually the case) so I don't think I did anything too fancy.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
if that was what you call for pressed for time, I salute you. Idk if you got my pm, but you are one of my favorite engineers. your sound is the sound that I aim to achieve when I'm in the studio. thanks for replying to my thread. it's a real honor.
πŸ“ Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…