Artist steals pre-produced version of the song
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo ➡️
Spec deal = don't spec' to get paid
lol.

In all seriousness, some do. But I would never expect to get paid based on the record's success.
Old 25th September 2012
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkleblanc ➡️
Hey, I searched around a bit but could not find any recent threads referring to a situation like this. I'm fairly new to hip hop production as a business and running a home recording studio. So I guess it's fitting that this being is my first experience I end up getting burned.

Over the period of the last few months, I have written, wrote and produced several tracks for a local rap artist with the intention of building my credibility and developing the artists career. Halfway into the project it became obvious the artist was a handful, drunk, basket case who had many personal and drug problems, which interfered with his rapping ability and wasted countless studio hours. He claimed he needed the rough mixes of a track we had a female singer feature on, so believing in my heart that good people exist and that it could benefit the final product I did. Since that e-mail we have made plans of finishing the project with him agreeing to pay compensation for my time and studio rentals. However, last night he posted the rough version of the song on his soundcloud with no credits to me and a statement that it's going to be on his upcoming EP.
I have received no compensation for any of the work I've done so far and he has no intention of paying or crediting me for my work. The female who sang on the hook on the track is unaware of the current situation in our business relationship and also has not released or signed anything saying who owns the rights to her accompaniment on the track.
Is there any legal action or action I can take up with Soundcloud to have my productions taken down?
I honestly knew that it was a goof move to give him the rough mix and the potential backfire, but now after the fact how can I redeem this situation and come out on top? Preferably without going to his house and busting knee caps, I'm too pretty for jail.
Stealing from people is really bad karma,

It will catch up with him. I know a stealer like this, he has no shame, and sucks at life.

Always riding the coattails of others, joy riding behind their success.

I chose to no longer work for a turd like this, who would sully my name and abuse my good hearted kindness.

Tell em, "I'm not your tea towel bitch", and write him off completely.

Don't hire a lawyer, move on with greater understanding of the world and how dirt bag scum suckers work.

These bottom feeders should receive what is coming to them in due time. Let Karma Judge them. It will be MUCH worse for them!!!!!!!

So try to move on, and work on improving yourself before anything else. It will be worthwhile.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
At the end of the day, you have a few options, probably all have been said. You can have a lawyer write a cease and desist letter and hope he stops using your music. Without a plan for further action, you just have to hope it works. You can also write your own, though he may not take it seriously.

You can report any copyright infringement to any and all sites and have them take it down. It's pretty easy to do on almost any site. You may want to familiarize yourself with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.

You can also just let it slide for now, if you don't think it's going to go anywhere. I can't say I have been jacked like that but there has been times where I agreed to mentor someone a bit or just let them practice and it was over one of my beats. I have an agreement where they are not allowed to distribute their music in anyway, for free or for profit. Some end up putting it online, even for sale, but not in a way that it's profitable. They burned the bridge but it wouldn't help me to stop them. They don't own anything so you can just sell it to someone else. I don't believe there is a statute of limitations on your copyrights so, to my knowledge, if it becomes a bigger problem later, you can take stronger legal action as it comes up.

Obviously, you can enforce your rights, and violation of your rights to the fullest extent of the law, or somewhere in between. In this case, it doesn't seem like it would be worth even the time to do so, much less the money and it would likely be quite expensive, depending on what actions you take.

I would try to work it out, if they are not understanding, I would likely let it slide in this situation. If he is getting a buzz and you don't want your name behind it, pull the rug out from under them by getting things offline. Not many artists can exist without being online. If it gets serious in the future, then consider legal actions.
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wow, thanks for the heaps of replies. I have decided not to post his name or links as I don't see the merit in bullying. I did convince him to pull the tracks down since the original post however, I'm not sure if he intends on ripping off what I've done as he is currently planning on doing work with another "known" producer *I use the term loosely* in Toronto. So somehow he doesn't have money to pay me for my work but has the flow to fly out and hire someone else. That's just what I've put together from his updates, it could all be bull ****.
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

its kind of disapointing when something like this happens, because we (producers) put in a lot of work and time.

but, umm when i read your story my thought was like "cmon, thats all"???

just an artist posting a ruff version of your track. As an upcoming producer you can expect way more terrible things happening to your work, your credits and your person.

i have found my music in videos and on mixtapes while even not knowing someone recorded to it. I have songs on releases with someone else taking my credits...**** I even did a song for an album that made it to the billboard hip hop charts and didnt get my credits neither got paid for it...

you see, a posted song on soundcloud is like nothing nowadays...prepare for some harder situation in future.

BUT now you know you can not count on this artist. this is good to know too. focus on people who you can trust and who respect your work
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkleblanc ➡️
Wow, thanks for the heaps of replies. I have decided not to post his name or links as I don't see the merit in bullying. I did convince him to pull the tracks down since the original post however, I'm not sure if he intends on ripping off what I've done as he is currently planning on doing work with another "known" producer *I use the term loosely* in Toronto. So somehow he doesn't have money to pay me for my work but has the flow to fly out and hire someone else. That's just what I've put together from his updates, it could all be bull ****.
Dude you are no fun
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just charge it to the game and move on.
Old 26th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I would get someone else to rap on it and release it in the social media as much as possible so by the time his version gets out it wont have the same steam....I may even release the instrumental for everyone to rap to...Id rather take my losses that way
Old 27th October 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG1-WiwzimI

just make sure this doesn't happen!
Old 27th October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo ➡️
Spec deal = don't spec' to get paid
o thats a gem!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…