Mixing While Producing - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing While Producing
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➡️
If a track sounds good in its raw state then you most likely have a keeper. Everyone makes a bad beat every so often and we sometimes dont realize that its wack until the next day . I would hate to waste time mixing a wack beat.
So true.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➡️
Everyone makes a bad beat every so often and we sometimes dont realize that its wack until the next day . I would hate to waste time mixing a wack beat.

Sent from my SPH-D710
I make a decent beat every so often. I don't realize most of the beats I'm making are wack until maybe a week later, after listening to the bounced file. I don't always recognize it right away.

But I never see it as a waste... bad beat/track/song/melody... whatever... you have to do it once and it's out of your system!

I agree though... when you know it's bad you have to know when to get out of there. Last Saturday, i spent about 2 hours trying to fool around with some lead bell melody, it got to the point where I had pre fader verbs and delays all kinds of bullsh*t, it was so bad, I had to pinch myself and recognize WTF I was doing!

If it's taking long, most likely it aint workin. You know when it's good when you can't navigate the DAW fast enough to get the ideas down, as if the idea is never coming back if you don't get it down. Ideas are few and far between and unfortunately they generally happen way away from the DAW!

But I don't trash those crap songs, a year later, fresh perspective, new HW or something, you never know.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't think mixing while you write/produce is a good idea. Mentally I don't think it's a good idea to be constantly switching between creative and technical processes.

Write until the music and arrangement is as good as it'll get then go back and deal with the nitty gritty.

Most of the time mixing early on is an excuse to not concentrate on the actual music
Old 30th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➡️
You find what works for your process. The advantage to mixing as you go is you get a somewhat more focus picture of how the sounds will fit together. The problem is that sometimes it's tempting to lean too heavily on mix techniques to get the desired sound, rather than selecting the best sounds and arrangement to begin with. The other issue is that if you start with a sound, and mix as you go, you base the overall outcome around that sound. If you want the focus of the mix to change - the central element(s) - that might prove more time consuming than it's worth.

I tend to veer toward doing broad strokes and production-mix moves (reverbs, flangers, special fx type of stuff). Not to get caught in the tiny stuff.

I prefer Terra. I work on a hybrid system. Not a Mega Ran fan by any chance?
I just checked out Mega Ran I'm gonna be honest I had never heard of him before until you mentioned him and I'm a hip-hop artist myself. I like his stuff but I took a break from listening to it because I'm currently studying the Beetles I'm trying to make hit hooks and improve that part of my songwritng.
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
all day, everyday...
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bender412 ➡️
if you're a mix engineer, it just becomes automatic to mix as you compose/record. I personally can't do it any other way.
exaaaactly
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat1 ➡️
Most of the time mixing early on is an excuse to not concentrate on the actual music
its funny because I use to feel like something would always make me stop focusing on the material itself...but I guess its cuz I start wandering off...I usually cant stick to the script when I'm producing alone, but good point!
Old 1st October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I don't think mixing while you write/produce is a good idea. Mentally I don't think it's a good idea to be constantly switching between creative and technical processes.

Write until the music and arrangement is as good as it'll get then go back and deal with the nitty gritty.

Speak for yourself. For some of us it's automatic. We do it without even thinking about it. It becomes a part of the process.
Old 3rd October 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru
Quote:

Well you're entitled to your opinion, I'll leave it at that.
Old 3rd October 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I do it between creativity bursts. It gets me going on the project.
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…