Quantcast
Public Enemy - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Public Enemy
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Public Enemy

I listened to PE for about 6 hours straight while I was doing some work on my comp. I was listening in headphones plugged into my cellphone. Man THIS is what hip hop should be. The Shocklee bros are geniuses. No MPC Ren or Maschine debates needed. If you have a stable system be it ASR, MPC, SP, S series sampler etc... The tools are taken care of. All that's needed are ideas.

Burn Hollywood Burn.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cool story bro
Old 22nd September 2012
The Bomb Squad is known as one the best producers in hiphop history!
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffael77 ➑️
The Bomb Squad is known as one the best producers in hiphop history!
I always dreamt of making an album with the BS and Organized noize doing co production, then getting Dre to mix the album.

Listening to PE was like listening to Isaac hayes or Stevie wonder/Prince/Marvin Gaye etc... It reminded me of why I make music.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
WTF do PE and Bomb Squad have to do with Maschine and Ren?

We reaally needed another Maschine vs Ren driven topic. Did this need a separate thread? If you had only left them out of the post this would be a decent thread.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
yep ...i'm reading listening to ICE T Original gangsta album ....and what jumps on me is how linear in production albums are nowdayz !!......those so calledc big producer only knows one kind of thing and stick with it ...even with the same sounds !!

Been at the PE concert in Paris back then and it was epic !! , real subject , real show , real style , real production !!
Old 22nd September 2012
**** machine, it's the most overrated drum machine ever

Saw PE live a moth ago, they are hiphop, he sounds like martin Luther or Malcom X, to teach knowledge instead of money.
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
**** mashine ? what's the relation between this and mashine ?
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
**** mashine ? what's the relation between this and mashine ?
This topic is about PE and not the machine.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
yep this is excactly what i'm saying ...
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Yeah P.E albums were/are great. I read an interview with DJ shadow where he said that if you wnat to learn about sampling and what can be done with it , people should listen to 'It takes a nation......" . Also rad this other great interview with Chuck D and teh Bomb Squad and they were looking back on 'It takes a nation....' and 'Fear of a Black Planet. What stuck out the most was the part where Chuck D to say to one of the others in the studio (I cant recall if it was Sadler or one of the Shocklee's) F#%* timing, [email protected]%^ the pitch and [email protected]%& the rhythm..I dont care if it's not technically correct ( I think he was referring to music theory wise as one of them was a properly trained musician and trying to correct the work) This is how it needs to sound.

and to me that summed it up in some way...you know...if it sounds good then obviously it's right.

but yeah...Bomb Squad material is wild!!!!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Love PE. Bomb Squad made a lot of amazing music.

Nation of Millions
Fear of a Black Planet
Apocalypse 91

Still amongst my favorite albums of all time. There is a sense of realness to those records, from the vocals to the beats.

Sent from my Nexus One
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I read that NI is coming out with a Hank Shocklee filter for Maschine. I can't wait to read all the threads comparing it with the real thing.

seriously, though: there should be a beat battle between MPC users and Maschine users. that would settle the debate.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️
Love PE. Bomb Squad made a lot of amazing music.

Apocalypse 91

Still amongst my favorite albums of all time. There is a sense of realness to those records, from the vocals to the beats.

Sent from my Nexus One
FARK!!! just listened to this through headphones for the time in years!! Man..this is so much going on I had missed in the past. Think it may be time for P.E week!!!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
can you smell the tape on those albums ...how it sound fuking analog !!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It takes a Nations of Millions and Amer***s most wanted are probably my favourite Hip Hop albums of all time.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict ➑️
Yeah P.E albums were/are great. I read an interview with DJ shadow where he said that if you wnat to learn about sampling and what can be done with it , people should listen to 'It takes a nation......" . Also rad this other great interview with Chuck D and teh Bomb Squad and they were looking back on 'It takes a nation....' and 'Fear of a Black Planet. What stuck out the most was the part where Chuck D to say to one of the others in the studio (I cant recall if it was Sadler or one of the Shocklee's) F#%* timing, [email protected]%^ the pitch and [email protected]%& the rhythm..I dont care if it's not technically correct ( I think he was referring to music theory wise as one of them was a properly trained musician and trying to correct the work) This is how it needs to sound.

and to me that summed it up in some way...you know...if it sounds good then obviously it's right.

but yeah...Bomb Squad material is wild!!!!
I think this attitude needs to be more present in hip hop. Don't get me wrong, it's good to learn music theory and have a sense of it. Sometimes though you just gotta follow your soul and make something that gives you the right feeling regardless of it's music theory. I do have to say that the bomb squad is becoming one of my fav producer groups.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wTPP...itLD1Kok3xscmo

no comment !!

by the way wahtch the whole show !!
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I have big respect for The Bomb Squad and Public Enemy. I grew up in Hip Hop on those records. The thing I've always loved about P.E. is they have their own SOUND. The songs don't all sound the same but they belong on the same record and they don't sound like anyone else. I don't hang on GS ever really and I'm shocked at all the bizarre debates about hardware vs software and who uses what. The Bomb Squad were/are artists with interesting ideas and a willingness to experiment.
OK, OG rant over.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofreak ➑️
It takes a Nations of Millions and Amer***s most wanted are probably my favourite Hip Hop albums of all time.
Can' t believe i trashed all my tapes ... i so regret ...
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm glad someone finally gave the bombsquad some love. I would love to know how the got all those loops from different sources to mix together without sounding like muddy mess - kinda like Straight outta compton and 100 miles and running. I know they drove the engineers crazy
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
it's a question of feel , i loved and still do this : a regular lead theme , and some not on pitch/note themes that goes left or right or both ....i try to create svereal reading of the concept ....it's like a video game that change with the player choice ....it's like you choose the hohway orf listening or some small streets here and there .

Back then i was doing some heavy horror core / hardcore (doing scene with Hijack , Silver Bullet , gunshot , Blade , catch 22 ect ) and i used to do that with my "revolution disk vinyl" (understand here the thing that brought me to a new approch : analog synth) : "New York 1997 !!" this was epic with 12 minutes tracks in 145 bpm !!

So tommy to naswer to your question , easy to do it when you feel it (producer brain) ..

Technically you have to keep the main lead/theme well focused (generally in center) and others on side or back ground ....of course the rapper gotta feel and play with this ....

Listen also to DJ screw , he used to mix to totally differents songs to make a third one totally crazy !
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Death Certificate > Ameri***a's Most Wanted
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol i was riding on a 525 (bmw) like i was the king of the blok on this **** ..lol

CMW , South Central Cartel , Ice cube , da lench mob, Too short , King T , Ice T , E 40 , Mc ren , NWA , Easy E, Mack 10 , the bay (richi rich , e40,ect ..) , Dj pooh , threat ,Kam , .....

Productions were crazy
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
the producers that influenced my style:

Kurtis Blow: taught me basslines

Mantronik: taught me synthesis

Marley Marl: helped me discover sampling

The Bomb Squad: taught me how to mix samples from different songs and make them coexist.. they also showed me that even the wackest, most obscure sound can be used in a mix, even if its only for 1 second in a song.. thats the part that alot of producers dont respect.

DJ Premier: Taught me watever was leftover..

after that RZA, Large Pro, and Pete Rock, just forced me to tighten it up.

The Bomb Squad did things no one else did.. every producer on the planet should be FORCED to listen to those PE albums... Hip Hop fans knew what alot of people are only NOW just findin out.. that whole movement was killer.. thats why the Gov't shut it down and forced this new stuff on the radio.

"Night of the Living Bassheads" is a perfect example that ANYTHING can work, if u have an idea.

da relic
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
mantronik was excellent ...yep
Old 23rd September 2012
Hobbs_Won
IMO, Nation of Millions is the best by far...it was real groundbreaking stuff production wise. And it was just pure, edgy hardcore goodness.

The first 3 albums were great...and after that it was just, meh...
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what else can I add? It takes a nation was my first HipHop vinyl.

I just heard "tie goes to the runner" 2 weeks ago, which is kind of late stuff but I realized that harp sample (kind of stevie wonder early stuff) and this sample is a good example of what Slik Da Reik said before. It is 1 sample and it plays only once in the whole song.

my 3 favs:

It takes a nation
Fear of a back planet
Apocalypse 91 (I like to listen to that DeepPurple track just to hear that sample thinkin "yes..great find")

peace
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
First vinyl :

Who remeber it ?

was listening until then to my brother oldschool vinyls ...
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful ➑️
Cool story bro
Lol
πŸ“ Reply