Quantcast
Public Enemy - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Public Enemy
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
From the Hank Shocklee interview in TapeOp #51 (Jan/Feb 2006)

"But, like you said, it was more of a performance anyway because we didn't use any sequencing on those [early] records β€” maybe a kick, snare and a hat, but not all the way through the song like people do today, which I consider to be kinda lazy ... Whenever we put down a sample part, all of the sample parts were played by hand ..."

"The way we did it was like a band. Like in 'Rebel Without A Pause,' Flavor played the snare portions, which was the James Brown, because Flavor had the kind of feel that was good for that. Eric might play the kick and hi hat, I would play the horn and Norman would come in a put the scratch on it. So when you get all these different feels together, it's a band and that's what we wanted to get, because I didn't like sequencing."

Last edited by Ward Boss; 24th September 2012 at 03:17 AM.. Reason: accidentally omitted the mention of the James Brown sample
Old 24th September 2012
Hobbs_Won
Flav played the snare on Rebel Without A Pause??
wtf, wasn't that the Funky Drummer loop?
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Earlier in the article, he mentions using the Grunt for its horn sample and drums and layering that with another break for Rebel Without a Pause. Sounds like The Grunt and Funky Drummer layered together to me.

But in any case, I thought it was kinda crazy Shocklee says they'd actually play samples back manually instead of using a sequencer to hold it all together.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won ➑️
Flav played the snare on Rebel Without A Pause??
wtf, wasn't that the Funky Drummer loop?
i thought the same thing.. but i remember an old documentary, where Chuck said they were forced to put Flav in the group bcuz he could play around 7 instruments.. so hey, its possible it WAS Flav on those drums.. lol

da relic
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think he meant 'play' as in triggering the sample rather than actually playing drums. But HS does mention Flav playing numerous instruments, coming from the Baptist Church.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo ➑️
First vinyl :

Who remeber it ?

was listening until then to my brother oldschool vinyls ...

bought the 45 when it came out....na na na na nineteen, nineteen
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
lol yep same here that was the 45 ....then i think i went Justice , Dj red Alert ...and so on ....
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
ok one more for the fun !!

used to loop the intro and rap on it with my dogs ...lol ....loop on tapes !!with mad cuts ...lol
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➑️
I listened to PE for about 6 hours straight while I was doing some work on my comp. I was listening in headphones plugged into my cellphone. Man THIS is what hip hop should be. The Shocklee bros are geniuses. No MPC Ren or Maschine debates needed. If you have a stable system be it ASR, MPC, SP, S series sampler etc... The tools are taken care of. All that's needed are ideas.

Burn Hollywood Burn.
Hi

I worked with the Public Enemy group for over 10 years, mixed most of apocolyse 91 and some of fear of a black planet. Chuck D is definitely a genious.. Just the variety of loops was amazing..
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
michael thks for coming here ....have you mixed the terminator X album also ?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
that's crazy about The Flav playin instruments and gettin down on that drum kit

all i got to see was Flav bein some goofball sidekick

shows you what the labels do to people

gimmick crap

stayin in character is what probably led to his junkie habits too

funk tha industry
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
First vinyl :

Who remeber it ?

was listening until then to my brother oldschool vinyls ...

A lot of people forget about Paul Hardcastle.

Straight Classic...

This song takes me right back to the mid 80's... being young... no bills... getting an allowance... going to arcade's... ect.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelAngelo ➑️
Hi

I worked with the Public Enemy group for over 10 years, mixed most of apocolyse 91 and some of fear of a black planet. Chuck D is definitely a genious.. Just the variety of loops was amazing..
Apocalypse 91 is my favorite PE album
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASICE ➑️
A lot of people forget about Paul Hardcastle.

This song takes me right back to the mid 80's... being young... no bills... getting an allowance... going to arcade's... ect.
Playing yoyo , my nastas adidas on my feet and perfecto jacket ! lol
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
From my understanding many of the samples were played manually and recorded to tape (not sequenced) and there were often large group efforts on the mixes where many people operated faders in the mix process.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Boss ➑️
I think he meant 'play' as in triggering the sample rather than actually playing drums. But HS does mention Flav playing numerous instruments, coming from the Baptist Church.
Wow...from the Baptist Church to the Flava of Love...quite the turn around...I love it!!!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi

Is any of Fear ..... live instrumentation or was it all strictly samples ? Apocalypse had live instruments and samples right ?
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Not answering, but just gotta say that 'By The Time I Get To Arizona' is one of my all time favorite tracks. The Mandrill sample is outrageous and the way the song switches the live Jackson 5 sample with crowd screams is just murder.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
PE bought me to hip hop & Apocalypse still finds it's way to my car stereo on a fairly regular rotation even after all these years...

The studio I learnt in (London) had the multitrack of "Can't do Nuttin' For Your Man" and "Welcome to the Terrordome". Most nights after a session I'd throw that thing up and do mixes of Terrordome to get my chops up.... some damn inspiring stuff listening to that each night, breaking it down it's individual pieces

Main points:
Chucks vocal tone! Nothing needed to place it in the mix, his voice is so full and delivery was so crisp. Still remains in a top 3 MC spot for me

Loops, samples and noises. All run for the full length of the track so any drops were done by hand in the mix, not sequenced. A lot of it seemed to be played in by hand rather than just looped up, the timing moves around a fair bit

From memory there was also part of a vocal "outake" on Terrordome as well. A quarter verse that never made the final version. Sad to say the 2", along with lots of other multi tracks that were stored there got destroyed in a fire
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This track... is the very track that started it all.... what is that sound?? I thought to myself. This is when I became interest and aware of synths and samples. I still went off and learnt guitar & bass etc... even the cost of a 4track portastudio was shocking back in those days.

Man... like many I could go on and on... but I'll leave you all with this... work of art

Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
michael thks for coming here ....have you mixed the terminator X album also ?
Hi Yes I did.. they were great clients
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict ➑️
Is any of Fear ..... live instrumentation or was it all strictly samples ? Apocalypse had live instruments and samples right ?
Hey sorry been busy mixing.. PE was all samples.. Chuck D was great at using different samples for different movements in a song.. When I was mixing, he would tell me to take all the bottom out of a sample and use it like a string vibe!

I have to say there ability to mix 5-10 samples in a track was amazing! I thought back then they were the leaders of that concept!..
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi

What's a genious ?
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Yes I did.. they were great clients
i smell tapes and ssl ...am i wrong ?
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
i smell tapes and ssl ...am i wrong ?
Tape of course... ..actually I had a 56 input NEVE 8128, which was there favorite board...
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
How involved was Flav back then? Did he record any songs that didn't make the final albums? And do you know if there's any truth to the rumour that he had a shelved solo album around that time?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I think the name of Flavs record that got shelved was call "All About Time" or something like that. I was at a show around 2000 and he was talking about it soon to be released but I never saw it. I met him after the show and he and Chuck signed a promo poster for the album that now sits in my garage.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️
This track... is the very track that started it all.... what is that sound?? I thought to myself. This is when I became interest and aware of synths and samples. I still went off and learnt guitar & bass etc... even the cost of a 4track portastudio was shocking back in those days.

Man... like many I could go on and on... but I'll leave you all with this... work of art

Great post!
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
when i 1st heard this track (Rebel Without a Pause), i said to myself "damn, theyre puttin anything on the ****in radio now!" i was pissed bcuz my group had got turned down by Next Plateau Records.. but as i got to listen to it more and more, i realized this new sound was off the CHAIN!!! its just the instrumental, but this is THE song, that introduced that abstract, reject noise, that no one wants in their mix, and your parents will now officially hate Hip Hop music.. lol

and bcuz of that song.. we got these songs from other producers and MCs right after.. i remember that as if it was yesterday.. it was then i knew... no holds barred on ANY sound.. nothing is wack!

da relic
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic ➑️
when i 1st heard this track (Rebel Without a Pause), i said to myself "damn, theyre puttin anything on the ****in radio now!" i was pissed bcuz my group had got turned down by Next Plateau Records.. but as i got to listen to it more and more, i realized this new sound was off the CHAIN!!! its just the instrumental, but this is THE song, that introduced that abstract, reject noise, that no one wants in their mix, and your parents will now officially hate Hip Hop music.. lol

and bcuz of that song.. we got these songs from other producers and MCs right after.. i remember that as if it was yesterday.. it was then i knew... no holds barred on ANY sound.. nothing is wack!

da relic
Wow that was a FUKN EPIC moment of the day listening to those...reminds of going to gigs where the bass bins were so loud that all your organs would get reshuffled inside you.

Never noticed the flamming on Rebel...on every second snare... my guess would be it's due to 2 loops being layered.
πŸ“ Reply