Quantcast
Who invented trap music? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who invented trap music?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Who invented trap music?

Does anyone know who originated the trap style of production or if anyone is credited as the inventor? DJ Toomp?
Old 22nd September 2012
  #2
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Shawty Redd laid down the foundation for Trap music.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
who ever did there needs 2 be a warrant out for there arrest
1
Share
Old 22nd September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
who ever did there needs 2 be a warrant out for there arrest
Lol, honestly I like some trap beats, they get you hyped. What I don't like it the subject matter a lot of the time in that it's all about coke, guns but the beats are dope. I also hate when an artist has a whole album consisting of only trap beats. I swear the all sound the same.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I invented trap music back in 91' didn't catch on until here in the last 4 years or so.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #6
Gear Addict
 
🎧 15 years
T La Rock - Bass Machine - YouTube
Old 22nd September 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Logical Mind's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➑️
it's all about coke
It's called TRAP music for a reason. Whatd u expect, puppies and rainbows?
2
Share
Old 22nd September 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Mind ➑️
It's called TRAP music for a reason. Whatd u expect, puppies and rainbows?
Im referring to the instrumentation.

Sent from my SPH-D710
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➑️
Lol, honestly I like some trap beats, they get you hyped. What I don't like it the subject matter a lot of the time in that it's all about coke, guns but the beats are dope. I also hate when an artist has a whole album consisting of only trap beats. I swear the all sound the same.
yea i like trap to .. but i hate when people bite thats all .. even in so called real hiphop .. i hate fake dilla beats . and fake premo beats ect ..

i just had to clear that up b4 i get called a hater lol
Old 22nd September 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
yea i like trap to .. but i hate when people bite thats all .. even in so called real hiphop .. i hate fake dilla beats . and fake premo beats ect ..

i just had to clear that up b4 i get called a hater lol
Come on you know the term " biting" doesn't exist anymore.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #11
Lives for gear
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➑️
Come on you know the term " biting" doesn't exist anymore.
man im gettin old ahahaha and i will never break that rule sorry man lol
1
Share
Old 22nd September 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
man im gettin old ahahaha and i will never break that rule sorry man lol
Nah , I feel you !
Old 22nd September 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Mannie Fresh popularized the foundation.
I would give him credit if anyone. The foundation was laid before him. I remember hearing a similar sound in 1990. Mannie been making beats since the eighties. The horns and 808 foundation screams Mannie Fresh offspring.
1
Share
Old 22nd September 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Fruity Loops.
1
Share
Old 22nd September 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Mantronix???
Old 22nd September 2012
  #16
Lives for gear
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
DJ Magic Mike lol

Old 22nd September 2012
  #17
Lives for gear
 
Logical Mind's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➑️
Im referring to the instrumentation.

Sent from my SPH-D710
I'm pretty sure the part I quoted was referring to the subject matter
Old 22nd September 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Fruity Loops deserves a lot of credit.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Mind ➑️
I'm pretty sure the part I quoted was referring to the subject matter
Yes, but I was responding @monstaone . I was letting him know that I like trap beats but the subject matter gets stale.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #20
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I think first you have to qualify what is trap music otherwise this will just turn into who can find the oldest 808 centric jam...

To me mannie fresh stuff is very far away from trap...Toomp was TI's goto producer and he popularized the term but their music doesn't really fit the trap formula thats blown up either.

The stuff that is called trap today is usually 2 or three chords, it uses long tail 808's as basslines and typically stays in the harmonic minor scale for that spooky sound...The chords either move 1-4-1-4 if its a two chord jam or they'll do a minor, diminished, minor, diminished pattern...I think that last one got popular cause of piano roll guys kind of just moving stuff up and down a little bit. Another must have is the 32t and 64 hi hat rolls...that stuff didn't pop up anywhere in music that had programed drums in the past the way it has in the past 7 years or so. 8t kicks have become real popular lately too.

Using that as a guide I cant really give mannie, or toomp the nod as inventors of the sound.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
  #21
Lives for gear
 
beyondat's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan ➑️
I think first you have to qualify what is trap music otherwise this will just turn into who can find the oldest 808 centric jam...

To me mannie fresh stuff is very far away from trap...Toomp was TI's goto producer and he popularized the term but their music doesn't really fit the trap formula thats blown up either.

The stuff that is called trap today is usually 2 or three chords, it uses long tail 808's as basslines and typically stays in the harmonic minor scale for that spooky sound...The chords either move 1-4-1-4 if its a two chord jam or they'll do a minor, diminished, minor, diminished pattern...I think that last one got popular cause of piano roll guys kind of just moving stuff up and down a little bit. Another must have is the 32t and 64 hi hat rolls...that stuff didn't pop up anywhere in music that had programed drums in the past the way it has in the past 7 years or so. 8t kicks have become real popular lately too.

Using that as a guide I cant really give mannie, or toomp the nod as inventors of the sound.
I agree. I'm going to +1 Shawty Redd then.
Old 22nd September 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
You can distance it from Mannie all you want. Its just a small variant of his style though. I'm talking pre Cash Money and post. The trap style is a variant of New Orleans bounce music... which became popular and evolved in a certain direction when Mannie took the reigns. Shawty and others just added a lil flavor. All the major elements were already in place. 808's. Chord progressions. Tempo. Hi hats. Snares.

Just because you use pitch your rolls up doesn't mean you invented a new style. With that said, I have enjoyed the Shawty Redd music I have heard. I was in the South when trap music evolved. There were people doing similar hat / snare stuff with 808 and simple chord structure before Shawty flipped it. Shawty is the one whose songs I most enjoy in this style of the newer cats though.
Old 23rd September 2012
  #23
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
you're stuck on the drums there's more to it
Old 23rd September 2012
  #24
Gear Addict
 
mrfortune's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Too Short.... Listen to dope fiend beat and Listen to southern hiphop at that time. Once the south heard too short their sound started switching up. Oakland never gets our credit but we started so many sound, trends, styles and slang it's ridiculous....
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfortune ➑️
Too Short.... Listen to dope fiend beat and Listen to southern hiphop at that time. Once the south heard too short their sound started switching up. Oakland never gets our credit but we started so many sound, trends, styles and slang it's ridiculous....
I put that in the same bucket with Afrika Bam, Magic Mike, and T-LA Rock etc. Its not closely related enough in sound to be considered in this case. Hell the whole energy is different. It doesn't evoke similar emotion. Not a similar style at all...
1
Share
Old 23rd September 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
Mannie Fresh popularized the foundation.
I would give him credit if anyone. The foundation was laid before him. I remember hearing a similar sound in 1990. Mannie been making beats since the eighties. The horns and 808 foundation screams Mannie Fresh offspring.
Make sure your taking notes kids!
Old 23rd September 2012
  #27
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
There's really not one single answer, but if you're really looking at the entomology of the ****, take a close look at 3-6 Mafia, early UGK etc
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
  #28
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Shawty Redd and Three 6 mafia.....
Old 23rd September 2012
  #29
Gear Addict
 
DIGI ENT's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Three 6 definitely comes to mind. They brought that sound to the forefront. Legendary Traxster had some trap beats to off the Psycho.Drama project.
1
Share
Old 23rd September 2012
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Looking at how many threads have been about dirty south drums or snare rolls since Fl studio came out. It's not surprising that trap music is so popular now.
Closed

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 186 views: 64502
Avatar for enc
enc 25th October 2020
replies: 2118 views: 202958
Avatar for TheShadowV
TheShadowV 2 weeks ago
replies: 10606 views: 1631458
Avatar for Bignatius
Bignatius 13 hours ago
replies: 590 views: 88800
Avatar for Phosphenetre
Phosphenetre 31st January 2021

Forum Jump
Forum Jump