Who invented trap music? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who invented trap music?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampire ➑️
Carl Winslow invented that ****. Yes, the dad from Family Matters. If u aint know that then u aint know ****.
This.
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoLeoLeo ➑️
Shiiiiiiit... 36 is very drug / trap(we call it track in Memphis) oriented. We don't call it buck or crunk music, it music you can get buck or crunk to. We call it Memphis rap, Atlanta took it and called to crunk.
yea atl should have given credit to triple 6 for tha crunk and alot of people really say that. i mean you clearly have a different experience, because you live there and you've been around and apart of the whole movement from out there. ive pretty much been too memphis all my life as all my family is out there so ive witnessed elements of it too but im more so refering to how everyone else for the most part outside of memphis views triple 6. but they could very well be consider the forefathers of the sound possibly providing yet another foundation.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➑️
Fruity Loops.
LMFAOOOO
Funniest **** I read here I swear lol

On a more serious note,
DJ Toomp actually laid down the foundation around 2003,

T.I. feat. Mac Boney - Trap Muzik - YouTube

People like Shawty Redd and ESPECIALLY Lex Lugar revolutionized it and made it popular for new producers such as Jahlil beats to make a career out of it.

Trap Music is cool, but it is a fad, 99.9% of this trap music won't be remembered 10 years for now, but its okay because trap music isn't suppose to be taken too seriously. It is just a fun genre.
Old 26th September 2012
SFB
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Trap is to Hip Hop what Chicago Juke/Ghetto house is to EDM.

I give Mannie Fresh a lot of credit.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience ➑️
and ESPECIALLY Lex Lugar revolutionized it and made it popular for new producers such as Jahlil beats to make a career out of it.

Trap Music is cool, but it is a fad, 99.9% of this trap music won't be remembered 10 years for now, but its okay because trap music isn't suppose to be taken too seriously. It is just a fun genre.
Quoted for sympathy.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
99.9 percent of all music released wont be remembered in 10 years...classics are rare in any genre.

Trap is going to hang out for a bit longer than people may expect because these bass music dj's are starting to spin it and a new crowd is getting exposed to it.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE ➑️
Triple 6 is more responsible for crunk music or they called it buck music. Altho it was grimey and hood their focus wasn't really drug or trap driven.
I thought it was about going on weed-induced killing sprees?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah6Hy7te7_o

(that Everlasting Bass sample is sick)

STRATEGY

Last edited by STRATEGY; 26th September 2012 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: I tried to embed the youtube but got a blank square
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
trap will go away when 808s go away
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Booty Music

Miami/Florida Bass.

Started in the 80's and evolved into what we have now.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I dunno man I dont really see a similarity between "**** shack" and "hard in the paint"...as someone who was born and raised and still lives in south florida I gotta disagree with that. People are focusing way too much on the drums.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Yall should be giving DJ Paul and Juicy J WAY more credit for influencing the trap sound than Mannie Fresh.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminatorX ➑️
Yall should be giving DJ Paul and Juicy J WAY more credit for influencing the trap sound than Mannie Fresh.
It would help if they weren't also influenced by him. Mannie was doing music way before Cash Money. He used to DJ before that. You would ve surprised at how far vack his history actually goes where making beats is concerned.
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
It would help if they weren't also influenced by him. Nannie was doing music way before Cash Money. He used to DJ before that. You would ve surprised at how far vack his history actually goes where making beats is concerned.
Who's Nannie ? Like The Nanny?
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
still, the discussion is not about who made the first 808 jam or who started making beats first its about who was the first to come with something that resembles what trap music is today...that's defiantly not Mannie, he's awesome, has a gang of classics but he's not trap's daddy...I think most people from the south would agree.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan ➑️
still, the discussion is not about who made the first 808 jam or who started making beats first its about who was the first to come with something that resembles what trap music is today...that's defiantly not Mannie, he's awesome, has a gang of classics but he's not trap's daddy...I think most people from the south would agree.
I agree. That is why people like Egyptian Lover, Afrika Bam, and T La Rock are not relevant. However, I dont think you are taking into consideration the variety in the genre.

If I had to guess I would say that:
You are not from the south
You were not around when any of the 3 producers started out
You have only heard the music from said producers that was commercially distributed
You dnot know and possibly have never met the producers who had a hand in it, and have not worked with them at any point.

These are just guuess though. I might be wrong on all accounts. The south has its own culture. Its own way of setting trens, and moving them between the various state lines Especially TN, LA, TX, MS, and ATL. Its difficult to truly understand from the outside. Actually, even more interesting is the musical connection to the West Coast and how that developed, with special emphasis on the Bay.

If you ever have the opportunity to have a candid conversation with Redd, ask him who his early influences were. He actually is a pretty cool dude.

With that said, I think you may want to also re-read the original statement I made to clarify what my position is.
Old 27th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
Especially TN, LA, TX, MS, and ATL. Its difficult to truly understand from the outside. Actually, even more interesting is the musical connection to the West Coast and how that developed, with special emphasis on the Bay.
For sure, look at old 8ball & mjg & al kapone, g-style. The west coast influence is for sure there, but from Memphis.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
mannie fresh
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Trap Music started in Memphis like Leo said... Three Six Mafia,Shawty Redd,and Drumma Boy are all from Memphis... and None of those guys use fruity loops
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonusbmusic ➑️
mannie fresh
Mannie did Bounce music... he made it cool to pitch roll 808 subs and snares.. but he didn't do trap music
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyo ➑️
Trap Music started in Memphis like Leo said... Three Six Mafia,Shawty Redd,and Drumma Boy are all from Memphis... and None of those guys use fruity loops
But the foundation layers before/with them would be carlos brody, slice tee, Dj squeaky, blackout, dj Cojack, & few more for the producers.

Not just 3-6, but their whole "old school" camp, prophet posse, killa klan kazze, and few other offshoots. Then there's Gangsta Blac, kingpin skinny pimp, Tommy wright III, playa fly, indo G, it goes on...

Funny some old underground of that was recorded with: (not to sure of exact models, I was younger and not that into keyboards & such yet. I was a punk rocker...)

Tascam 4track recorders
Fostex 16 track , 1/2" I think
Da88

Dr sample
Mpc
Techinics 1200
Ensoniq something?
Korg m3 or x3...something 3

Sm58
Radio shack handheld
A wireless mic

Mackie 24*8
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
For sure, look at old 8ball & mjg & al kapone, g-style. The west coast influence is for sure there, but from Memphis.
I asked DJ Paul about this once, and he basically said the West Coast influence was huge as far as street culture, but once the underground tapes started popping, they would play nothing but Memphis rap. That's why they got so offended when Bone came out. They were so focused on Memphis that they thought anyone else doing that style was biting, when it was actually just "great minds think alike".

I jam those underground tapes all the time. I'm actually working on a little fake early 90's M-Town influenced project in my spare time. Thanks for the info...
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I forgot which one, but one of the guys from Bone had family in Memphis & was here alot and ran in the circle for bit. Toungetwisting, haha, yea, I remember that. If you could toungetwist you were "tickin" from ridin the 16 hat.

Dj Sound just put some olllllllld Memphis stuff on YouTube. Some names you know, but when they were 12....haha!!!
Old 28th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
DJ Toomp.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodMoney ➑️
DJ Toomp.
He's done hella stuff, but I never heard the name till about 2003. This other stuff in question goes back to 1988**** with tons of releases. His first prod credit is 1994
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Mannie Fresh says it came from a track called Drag Rap by the Showboys....which wasn't a big track in NYC (where it was made) but a huge hit in New Orleans
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene ➑️
Mannie Fresh says it came from a track called Drag Rap by the Showboys....which wasn't a big track in NYC (where it was made) but a huge hit in New Orleans
Haha, that is for sure not trap music... Not even close. Listen to it. Old school sound, yelling old school rap style. Run DMC type.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mannie Fresh is a hall of fame hip-hop producer. When "Ha" came out it blew my mind cuz I hadn't heard anything like it.
As far as Trap Music, I think I would give it to Dj Toomp because he was the first one that "I" heard doing anything that might be considered early trap music. His music had a certain energy to it with the horns and string programming. I don't listen to a lot of southern stuff so there might be some underground dude who was doing it before him.
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene ➑️
He surely was talking about Bounce Music.
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's cool when you can really track the time & area music migrated to. With the Internet is it so easy to do.

I saw this movie about this woman who traveled deeeep into the ozarks(arkansas&missori), kentucky, appalachians-east tennesee, & the carolinas in the 20's or 30's toting around an Edison wax recorder recording & interviewing the people on how can came to learn to play, songs they made & ones learned/heard, who tought them lyrics when she noticed old , then new, folk "standards" were regional.

Here's a list of the stuff around Memphis besides 3-6, but all ran together back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywC9JrELSGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSHzosSNjbM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Vr58...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjMw...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhJ1r...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK2Ou...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKGbb...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhiNf...hannel&list=UL

These tapes where EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0-fc...hannel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVwz4...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVwz4...eature=related
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's a list of the stuff around Memphis besides 3-6, but all ran together back then.
That DJ Zirk is a classic... best use of the Triggerman/Drag Rap sample and it was copied so many times. The only one you forgot is Carmike "Ridin Thru The Hood".
Closed