The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Who invented trap music?
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscend ➑️
Fruity Loops deserves a lot of credit.
VERY VERY LOUD AND FALING OUT OF MY CHAIR. LOL.ing. When I stop LOL.ing I gonna boot up FL STUDIO
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Shawty Redd without a doubt.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIGI ENT ➑️
Three 6 definitely comes to mind. They brought that sound to the forefront. Legendary Traxster had some trap beats to off the Psycho.Drama project.
Traxster definitely influenced the evolution of hi-hat patterns and slow, creepy tempos. He deserves more credit than he gets. Triple 6 Mafia, same thing. The movie samples they used influenced the sound a lot.

As far as modern trap beats, I think it was probably Nitti ("Dem Boyz"), Shawty Redd ("Trap Or Die"), and Zaytoven ("Black Tee"). So basically, trap music just turned 7 this summer.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
is it against the Trap rules to talk about anything not gang, dope or gun related on a trap beat? I haven't heard it yet.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Roland invented it when they made the first TR808 lol

Seriously what is the difference between,Trap,Down south,& Crunk music?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian ➑️

you gotta have the 32nd note hats and horns, strings or piano. Can't forget the 808. I can't front, these beats make me wanna start a fight.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIchlorian ➑️

For real you can't tell?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful ➑️
For real you can't tell?
I might not be listening hard enough.
My ear tends to tune out anything with a 808 clap.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATEGY ➑️
There's really not one single answer, but if you're really looking at the entomology of the ****, take a close look at 3-6 Mafia, early UGK etc
I kept wanting to mention 3-6 but didn't want dilute the focus since Mannie was doing it so early on. I agree though. I have to think about early UGK more. That first joint had its share of samples. I think organs when I think classic Pimp C production.

I had that first Psychodrama joint. Traxster specialized in creepyazz music. Speedknot Mobsta music lol.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Yeah traxster and three six more than mannie cause mannies music was more soulf blues, same with ugk...traxster and 3-6 had that creepy vibe off rip...

Its not against the rules to rap about non gangsta **** on trap beats its just hard to find an emcee that will break out of his boom bap boner to hop on a trap beat...I try all the time down here but the "real emcees" are all on some **** those snare roll fruity loop beats type vibe...but they'll ride out on a sample FL beat all day.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
You can distance it from Mannie all you want. Its just a small variant of his style though. I'm talking pre Cash Money and post. The trap style is a variant of New Orleans bounce music... which became popular and evolved in a certain direction when Mannie took the reigns. Shawty and others just added a lil flavor. All the major elements were already in place. 808's. Chord progressions. Tempo. Hi hats. Snares.

Just because you use pitch your rolls up doesn't mean you invented a new style. With that said, I have enjoyed the Shawty Redd music I have heard. I was in the South when trap music evolved. There were people doing similar hat / snare stuff with 808 and simple chord structure before Shawty flipped it. Shawty is the one whose songs I most enjoy in this style of the newer cats though.
hey you guys from what i remember this may be accurate. the foundation of the style is most likely from mannie fresh from the very late 80's in new orleans. trap music is powerful and agressive. from what ive heard the most distinctive person that had the most to do with the current trap sound was clearly and single handedly shawty redd. the current drums snare and hat patterns and musical progression of it was distinct to shawty redd. and if you listen to lex lugers music it is clearly a spin off of shawty redds sound. listen to of course flockas hard in the paint and/or rick ross "off tha boat" then listen to jeezy's "who dat" and "jizzle" and you will hear very well what im saying it obvious. but shawty redds musical changes and mixing is way better, intruments are cleaner have more definiton and overall have a way better refinement and polish to his sound. in most cases lugers is messy in comparison. lil lody is very dope tho and his overall presentation of his trap tracks are nice clean and powerful as well. imo shawty redd doesnt get no where near the credit he deserves for what he did for trap music at all.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
the 808 and 909 drum machines invented trap muzik.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Question should be who first composed trap music.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
It's just recycled hiphop/rap sooooooo yea......
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I definitely agree with 3 6 having a hand in it as well. IMO trap basically evolved from what Mannie and 3 6 were doing for years.
But Shawty Redd will probably always be looked at as the originator cuz of that first jeezy album.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➑️
Come on you know the term " biting" doesn't exist anymore.
I like coke and cartel and gun rap. I don't like the positive crap. Just like I like the grimy old school dance hall like bounty kill a and ninja and cant stand roots reggae

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Gearslutz App
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Also if you gonna mention Shawty Redd, Drumma Boy was doing his thing as well round that time. After those two started doing it everybody jumped on board.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnevz ➑️
I definitely agree with 3 6 having a hand in it as well. IMO trap basically evolved from what Mannie and 3 6 were doing for years.
But Shawty Redd will probably always be looked at as the originator cuz of that first jeezy album.
3-6 yes. Manny hell no.

Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks ➑️
I like coke and cartel and gun rap. I don't like the positive crap. Just like I like the grimy old school dance hall like bounty kill a and ninja and cant stand roots reggae

I like it too but I also like the positive stuff. It doesn't even have to be positive but there are so many other things to talk about besides guns, coke and your chain. Rappers who talk that **** don't even live in the hood with the gangs anymore.
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Like I said Too Short he was before all these guys you are naming. Dope fiend beat.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Seems like logical progression from 3-6 style dark-melody-and-808s stuff, with maybe a little bit of the more thugged out Lil Jon **** too (imagine "I don't give a f*ck" slowed down) sprinkled in on the way.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
An idiot.
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
IMO they rehash 808's a bit too much, but i'm totally new to the sound, and it's rather intriguing. I think it could be way better if more musical minds hopped onto it, but i like the hat patterns, bloody clever. if they stopped making stupid bull**** videos of themselves and their cute little clique butt buddies, it would be a relief. people need to stop with that ****, for real. no matter how hard they try there's nothing thug about it, you can't be thug if you're in the industry, you're a pawn
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawtunez ➑️
Looking at how many threads have been about dirty south drums or snare rolls since Fl studio came out. It's not surprising that trap music is so popular now.
Currently, the popularity of this genre is growing, because popular bass-music-DJs include it in their mixes
Old 24th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I remember watching a Mike Dean interview (may have been Pensado's Place) and he stated that all of the new guys are using old Miami bass beats and slowing them down. Instead of a beat between 90-150bpm they are cutting them in half. Makes a lot of sense to me, especially considering that Miami Bass has been around since the mid 80's
Old 24th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
The trap music we hear now all over the place is more in vein with 3 6 Mafia. Listen to their early 90s tapes and the beats' structure, chords, hi hats, etc is where it stemmed from. Juicy been chanting with the same flows for years, no surprise he's getting a lot of shine especially now with the trap explosion
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Triple 6 is more responsible for crunk music or they called it buck music. Altho it was grimey and hood their focus wasn't really drug or trap driven. It was tear that club up hence get buck. Trap music crosses into the club but is gangsta music really. So the energy is very high like crunk but they aren't same thing although at times with the 2 the lines seem to blur.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Carl Winslow invented that ****. Yes, the dad from Family Matters. If u aint know that then u aint know ****.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Justin Beiber wasn't it?
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE ➑️
Triple 6 is more responsible for crunk music or they called it buck music. Altho it was grimey and hood their focus wasn't really drug or trap driven. It was tear that club up hence get buck. Trap music crosses into the club but is gangsta music really. So the energy is very high like crunk but they aren't same thing although at times with the 2 the lines seem to blur.
Shiiiiiiit... 36 is very drug / trap(we call it track in Memphis) oriented. We don't call it buck or crunk music, it music you can get buck or crunk to. We call it Memphis rap, Atlanta took it and called to crunk.
Closed