Quantcast
Does a person's gear define their sound.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does a person's gear define their sound....
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Does a person's gear define their sound....

i am starting to think it does. Dilla had a certain sound that could not be captured any other way. its obvious he used a mpc. same with dj shadow. Even software has different sounds. Ableton sounds thinner and has bad structure. Fl Studio, what i use has a signature sound. what do you think?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
No.

If Dilla used Ableton, he would smash you on that too. Actually Dilla is the perfect example, to refute your theory. He used a few machines over the course of his short lived carrer. He smashed cats with all of them.

I dont care about any of the equipment I use. I will smash cats on whatever is available to me.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
FOH

Lex Luger got a whole legion of lemmings using only FL Studio and a basic dell.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
No.

If Dilla used Ableton, he would smash you on that too. Actually Dilla is the perfect example, to refute your theory. He used a few machines over the course of his short lived carrer. He smashed cats with all of them.

I dont care about any of the equipment I use. I will smash cats on whatever is available to me.

you completely missed my point. I didn't say equipment makes you better or worst. i said they have signature sounds. and they do. i can use anything to and I am ill...but my style changes with gear. that is common knowledge.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I think a person's ears define their sound...How they themselves experience the audio is what leads to their decisions.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = ➑️
FOH

Lex Luger got a whole legion of lemmings using only FL Studio and a basic dell.
actually i don't listen to luger and i think his beats suck
Old 21st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
so you all are saying you can get fl studio to bang like a mpc
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
No, im saying that how a person hears something is the first step into making a decision as to what they will change
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

10 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Learning to write doesn't make everybody to have the same handwriting, style and flow to their wording and delivery. Your gear only dictates your sound as long as you are slave to it.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
that's cute.

my point is...it doesn't matter what gear you use. It's the way you think and the way you hear things that define your sound.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan ➑️
No, im saying that how a person hears something is the first step into making a decision as to what they will change
damn...i never thought of it like that thats deep.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by = F$ = ➑️
that's cute.

my point is...it doesn't matter what gear you use. It's the way you think and the way you hear things that define your sound.

deep...well what about work flow
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
workflow is a preference.

In someways it can lead to more creative results. In someways it can hinder creative results. Two different people using the same workflow would still probably have two different results.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
you completely missed my point. I didn't say equipment makes you better or worst. i said they have signature sounds. and they do. i can use anything to and I am ill...but my style changes with gear. that is common knowledge.
I said nothing of better of worse, and didnt miss your point at all.
Dilla proved that he was the same ole Dilla regardless of what you put in front of him. His sound was "the future", and remaind as such.

I have a buddy that will make boom bap hip hop on FL, Maschine, SP1200, MPC2500, ASR10, and ASR-X. He owns all of them, and I joke with him constantly how every track sounds the exactly the same beat.

So to make a long story short.. as I said before... No.
I have seen too many examples in real life where this is not the case. I am personally one of them. My sound crosses platforms.

If you let your gear define your sound, its quite possible that you have no sound, at this stage in the game.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
yes and no .. and it shows .. alc asr 10 to mpc . different styles .. pete rock sp 1200 to mpc different styles .. if Stevie wonder made i song in 2012 and he could only used vst .. of course his sound would change .. but i allso think his style would change .. if lex luther was gave a mpc and some records . you think . he could make a trap beat with that ?? if i gave 9th wonder some 808 and vst . you think he would make a bombap beat ??? my point is . i dont think the gear makes who you are .. but i think it helps mode who you become
Old 21st September 2012
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I always think people who say it's not about the gear are discrediting the work that sticks behind said.
It's like if a racing driver said it's not about his car, it's all about him.. kind of egotistical actually... I think to say a good muso/producer can make almost anything sound good is a fairer way to put it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan ➑️
I think a person's ears define their sound...How they themselves experience the audio is what leads to their decisions.
This is the absolute truth. All gear has unique feature sets, but the features dont make music nor do they make creative decisions for you.

Your ear >>>> Your gear
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
so you all are saying you can get fl studio to bang like a mpc
I have done it with other programs, so I dont see how FL would be any different.

I also can make whiskey out of apples, however there is a liquor store across the street. Im not putting in the effort to create my own liquor. Not high on putting in the effort again to try and make something sound like a MPC either, since I have several at my disposal.

If you know how you want things to sound, and you know how to manipulate sound, you can usually get things to sound how you want them to sound.
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I don't think the gear really matters. I mean look at 9th wonder, he used FL studio forever and then he went to the MPC but he still has the same soul sound. I do agree with some previous posts where the workflow of a certain piece of gear may help you find and make your sound easier though.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you're just starting out I can understand how certain equipment could, by way of being how you learn, shape your habits in a way that influences output. But for the most part, once you know what you want it's reversed from that point, you're molding the gear by making it do what you want it to.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ableton sounds thin and has bad structure? Let .. me take a step back and formulate.... a positive ... response.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F Major ➑️
This is the absolute truth. All gear has unique feature sets, but the features dont make music nor do they make creative decisions for you.

Your ear >>>> Your gear
this is true and not true .... for example . if i put dj premier in a room . and told him he could only use abeltion live .. you think it would sound like a reg dj premier beat ?? im not saying it would be good or bad .. im sayin styles ..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
this is true and not true .... for example . if i put dj premier in a room . and told him he could only use abeltion live .. you think it would sound like a reg dj premier beat ?? im not saying it would be good or bad .. im sayin styles ..
Interesting analogy, considering that Premier hasnt used Ableton to produce for the past 20 years. The primary reason that folks stick to the same gear for so long is familiarity. They know that they can reliable produce results with that gear based on their experience. Its not so much that the gear has shaped a sound, but more so it is the mastery of their tools which ultimately gives them the ability to dictate the final product.

On Gearslutz you see people switching their gear so much and complaining about how stuff doesn't work, or sound like XYZ equipment. It's easy to lose perspective on what this phenomenon really indicates. The gear provides a set of tools that can be used to produce sound, so the process required to arrive at your desired sound changes based on the gear. There are many cases where beatmakers and engineers use certain equipment for their sonic characteristics, but again for an experienced producer/engineer this is a creative decision. Gear only defines your sound if you have decided to settle for whatever your gear outputs.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Your equipment does not define your sound, it does contribute to it yes but it does not define it, people may choose a piece of equipment based on they way it adds to a sound or colors it but that is a part of the creative process. J Dilla's sound has less to do with the equipment he had and more to do with the way he went about things, it was an amalgamation of many things including the way he thoughts and went about things and the way he expressed those thoughts and experiences. His gear had a contribution to it yes but it was not what made Dilla, Dilla. It wasn't as if J Dilla had equipment no one else had, thousands of people have MPC's it was almost universal at a point.

The MPC like anything else you use in the industry is merely an extension of yourself. The sound you get from it is confined by what you choose to confine it with and that alone. Again this is not to say that your gear does not affect the way sounds come across but that is only a tiny part of the myriad of things that make up the way your music comes across. Focus on the creative aspect of it all, again I am not disregarding the role equipment plays in your sound but look at it this way, whenever someone purchases an MPC/drum set/ piano etc, it is a blank slate, it has no sound, it does not create music on its own, however add a producer or musician to the mix and there are infinite ways the sound can come across, good or bad, wherever that sound ends up is entirely up to you

As for Ableton sounding thin and FL Studio having a signature sound, I'll leave that alone though there is a thread you may want to read in regards to it.
Poll: Do some DAWs have superior sound? (and, are you a programmer / engineer?)
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
I think the procedure would be different, but at the end he probably wouldn't settle for what the software gave him. He'd figure out a way to do it his way, or he'd just leave this silly experiment.

But define... that seems to mean that a person is selecting sounds, which kick which snare, a certain level of dynamics, a swing... those are human decisions.

Now if the software is very limited, like only have one static BPM, and only GM instruments, well of course... But that doesn't count LOL... sure if I had a stick and 2 cans, I don't think the result will be evocative of my "style".
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Gear can define a person's sound, but it wouldn't be the only factor in deciding what their work would sound like. It would play a smaller role in comparison to something like their musical creativity, or their musical background. Gear is just more or less a technicality if anything.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealatosis ➑️
I don't think the gear really matters. I mean look at 9th wonder, he used FL studio forever and then he went to the MPC but he still has the same soul sound. I do agree with some previous posts where the workflow of a certain piece of gear may help you find and make your sound easier though.
I was going to bring him up too. His 2500 beats sound like he made them on FL. How do you explain that? LOL

9th still sounds like 9th. Overcompressed drums and all. He did not let AKAI stop him from giving his signature sound!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
I was going to bring him up too. His 2500 beats sound like he made them on FL. How do you explain that? LOL

9th still sounds like 9th. Overcompressed drums and all. He did not let AKAI stop him from giving his signature sound!
i agree
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Every piece of gear that amplifies a signal has a bias. This is why one gets monitors.

So yes, your equipment will
Color your sound up to varrying degrees and directions. Every link in the chain does it, whether u plan for it or not

Does that answer the OP's question?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED ➑️
Every link in the chain does it

Does that answer the OP's question?
true and well said
πŸ“ Reply