Quantcast
Does a person's gear define their sound.... - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does a person's gear define their sound....
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Of course a person's gear define is sound.

If you like the sound of the MPC 60 and use it, it's part of your sound.
If you like api preamps and use them, they're part of your sound.
If you like p-bass over J-bass and rounds over flats of course it will define your sound.

Does it make you good or bad ? Absolutely not.
Will the listener notice it ? To some degree, yes.

Is it gonna make you sell more beats or more cds. Of course not.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi ➑️
Of course a person's gear define is sound.

If you like the sound of the MPC 60 and use it, it's part of your sound.
If you like api preamps and use them, they're part of your sound.
If you like p-bass over J-bass and rounds over flats of course it will define your sound.

Does it make you good or bad ? Absolutely not.
Will the listener notice it ? To some degree, yes.

Is it gonna make you sell more beats or more cds. Of course not.
I think what you may be referring to is a contribution rather than a definition.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➑️
+1

Everything has to do with everything...
See - Frodo and Sprocket agree with me.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
I think what you may be referring to is a contribution rather than a definition.
Maybe.
I guess it depends on how you look at it. If by defining one's sound you guys are talking identity as a musicien rather then the actual soundprint of the equipement one is using. You are probably right.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➑️
Gear influences culture, culture influences gear, culture influence music, music influences culture. All that **** influences us, and then we influence all of that ****.

And at the end of the day - some kid will say what is or isn't this or that and no one can say he's wrong or right. Only time can do that part. In one universe Dilla is the truth. In another universe, he was undiscovered. Just make your music and hope you're on the right planet. It'll help if your music has FEELING. That's the part that nothing defines except the person making the music.
I agree

Gear absolutely matters. If I start a song while playing around with a guitar, it's completely diff from if I start writing on a piano. Nothing exists in the world alone. We are all shaped by our surroundings that we shape.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

8 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
i am starting to think it does. Dilla had a certain sound that could not be captured any other way. its obvious he used a mpc. same with dj shadow. Even software has different sounds. Ableton sounds thinner and has bad structure. Fl Studio, what i use has a signature sound. what do you think?
Gear certainly has a role in sound, e.g. difference in sound between SSL 4000 E and Neve 80 series is noticeable.
But there is no difference in sound of different DAW sequencers.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetam ➑️
But there is no difference in sound of different DAW sequencers.
lol you probably shouldn't have mentioned that last bit.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^when I open a file and play it back in ableton in sounds different then when I do it in Reaper, or audacity, etc. Whether thats true or not idk, but it souds different to me at least. Not to the point where I would ever choose one over the other for its sound, but each has a slightly different tone to the overall sound to me.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 ➑️
^when I open a file and play it back in ableton in sounds different then when I do it in Reaper, or audacity, etc. Whether thats true or not idk, but it souds different to me at least. Not to the point where I would ever choose one over the other for its sound, but each has a slightly different tone to the overall sound to me.
that's because ableton, by default, will apply warping to audio files so they automatically are time-stretched to fit your tempo.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
There was already an extensive discussion on this on the previous page and we have already come to the conclusion that there is little to no credible evidence to suggest daws impart any sound onto output.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DAWs are a glorified playback program. Does a song sound different played back on winamp, windows media player, itunes? If it does you need to check the built in controls. (Volume is a big one) or appreciate the fact that your brain is LITERALLY doing what it does and taking in what you see and fell and touch and mixing that in with how you perceive what you hear.

Crap now I forget what I was even posting about. Oh yea, gear.

I think gear is a tool. Its like asking if the paintbrushes define an artists style. Some might say yes....probably other artists. But really, the craftsman bends the TOOLS to his will. Chooses the tools to get what he is after. At least that seems like the logical idea. Sometimes its more fun to experiment.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The question was does the person's gear "DEFINE their sound?", not merely influence it.

obviously, one's gear influences how one goes about making music. on a basic level, if you don't have a sampler, then your music obviously won't be sample-based.

if you only have monosynths, then there won't be a lot of chords in your music.

apart from obvious examples like that, I don't think the gear defines the sound. people can take the exact same gear and their music will sound very different.

how many bands have a singer, guitar, bass and drums? and how different do they sound? even within the same genre, not to mention jazz vs heavy metal.

how you hear music is going to define how you create music, even if what you hear in your head doesn't translate directly to sound. certainly, it's not as nuanced as using an MPC, SP-1200 or Maschine.

Any one guy will sound almost the exact same on any of those devices, assuming he knows how to use them.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
that's because ableton, by default, will apply warping to audio files so they automatically are time-stretched to fit your tempo.
no its not that, I don't even use any of that in ableton. If I open a track in reaper it sounds different to me than audacity as well.

And its no placebo effct type thing like the other guy was saying, because I've exported drum samples and stuff from each of the different programs as wav's, and I still notice the difference months later without remembering at first which DAW it came from. I can just tell by how it sounds. Then after, I realize by file name which program I used to chop the sample and I'm always right.

Its possible each of my programs have other settings on by defaul that I'm not aware of, affecting the sound, besides the warping, but I can tell the difference.

If anyone wants to test it, upload 3 wav files, one from each of those daw's and don't tell me which is which, and I'll see if I can tell.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I didn't read everyones comments but I would just like to say that to me, your sound influences your choice of gear more than the other way around. How many of us have. Bought gear based solely on what our favorite producer uses. We try to emulate a sound and thus we want to emulate the ingredients. Is gear as important as our ears, N0. But it does affect your sound. And not to start any online beef but I don't think Lex Luger would sound the same if he used an mpc and some records
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
For me too. I did this test with different DAWs and also did a blind test with my girlfriend. And she also noticed this differences.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Not at all. Knowing how to achieve the sound you want defines that. There are things that gear will help do but the bulk of your sound should come from what you do.
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I don't personally feel like any piece of gear really impacted my sound, much less defined it. That's not coming from a place of "everything sounds the same" either. I actually find it to be very surprising how similar things can sound when using equipment that is very colored. More so, I have mixed beats and made them sound unintentionally like my own. I have made a beat one day using only an ASR 10 and made a beat on the next using only Reason and they sound very similar. Even going back to my earlier beats, early enough where I didn't use plug ins, or a keyboard for that matter, I am very surprised I was able to find patches that sound very similar to what I do when layering/processing instruments. The real irony there is I remember it taking me up to 20 minutes before to find my patches so it's actually a slower process than finding something and just eqing/layering/etc.

The only time your equipment will really impact someones sound, or even define it, is when there setup has serious limitations. Maybe your sampler doesn't allow you to do everything you like. Maybe it's so colored that it is hard to make it sound much different than what comes out the outputs. Maybe your sound significantly changes when you learn to play keys, or an instrument. Maybe you just don't really like your equipment and you loose inspiration. Other than that, it wouldn't impact me personally. I am not saying limitations are inherently bad either, I am only talking about when something is so limited that it doesn't allow you to create your vision. Most people are not in that category in 2012.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
i am starting to think it does. Dilla had a certain sound that could not be captured any other way. its obvious he used a mpc. same with dj shadow. Even software has different sounds. Ableton sounds thinner and has bad structure. Fl Studio, what i use has a signature sound. what do you think?
This just seems like a BS question to promote this track...which is fine by me...lol...but in reference to the question...no...I've made magic happen with bs that people have brought me. And they use all kinds of stuff...I live by this concept..."what you hear first is right" Anything after that isnt the same. So make whatever you have sound good, and ppl will accept it as how its supposed to be.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-E ➑️
This just seems like a BS question to promote this track...
It is, his name is C-Dot. He has been banned from Gear Sluts 5 times already.

He is only here to leech listens like a musical parasite, that's all it is. I've let this go for a lil while but really figured I'd call it.

He starts a thread that anyone is either controversial or begs for help/recognition. The question is always open ended or ending in... What do you think? directing you to the track in his sig that is innocently directly below the question.

He will also start a thread in the mix feedback section stating something painfully heart breaking.. this time it's 'maybe I'm not that good' where he shares a sad story... and a bunch of his tracks .. and we listen, then he rotates the tracks.. gets more listens... He's already got a bunch from us and has rotated the track in the initial thread to one he uploaded yesterday lol.

He's learnt not to talk about how he's worldwide at least or how he thinks he's better than most beatmakers today... which is a plus (so far), but it's early days. But dont think for a moment that he knows what he is talking about or can back up a lot of the statements he makes, he's just here to drop a troll comment to keep the thread moving and those listens coming in.

Then when he gets called out... it's "oh no... not me" "I just want to be a part of this"

If he put the same amount of energy in to his music, he may be able to break from the cookie cutter mould he seems to be stuck in.

Ah well.... trolls aye.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
no its not that, I don't even use any of that in ableton. If I open a track in reaper it sounds different to me than audacity as well.

And its no placebo effct type thing like the other guy was saying, because I've exported drum samples and stuff from each of the different programs as wav's, and I still notice the difference months later without remembering at first which DAW it came from. I can just tell by how it sounds. Then after, I realize by file name which program I used to chop the sample and I'm always right.

Its possible each of my programs have other settings on by defaul that I'm not aware of, affecting the sound, besides the warping, but I can tell the difference.

If anyone wants to test it, upload 3 wav files, one from each of those daw's and don't tell me which is which, and I'll see if I can tell.

it's pretty easy to scientifically test this using a null-test, and it's been repeatedly debunked.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by atma ➑️
it's pretty easy to scientifically test this using a null-test, and it's been repeatedly debunked.
Yep - and it's even easier to not care.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️
It is, his name is C-Dot. He has been banned from Gear Sluts 5 times already.
Darn I knew something was familiar. He got me this time Dayl, I didn't see it coming this time.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I think of it as left-brain/right-brain. Gear will always provide limitations for your imagination but not always in a bad way.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

I have heard lots of guys play trumpets but only one ever sounded like Miles. In fact, I would go so far to say that if any gear did not allow for you to create something unique, it would be worthless. You may even extract from that that almost all (in not all) gear therefore has some value. I may not agree with the indulgences of the first answer but I certainly agree with the sentiment. It would have to be decidedly NO!
Old 25th September 2012
Deleted fe72b38
It's not the gear you have so much as your work flow and how you lay it out in your room.

I know if I had a real grand piano, a real drum kit in a great room plus an engineer to record me whilst I just went into creative mode I would get a different result to that with me staring at a screen and trying to be inspired by VI's.

There's something about hands on hardware and working fast and inspired that creates amazing results, not being a millionaire I at least set up my gear and create a wrok flow that get's me close to that ideal.

I care not what the actual gear is, so to speak.

tht
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderdan ➑️
I think a person's ears define their sound...How they themselves experience the audio is what leads to their decisions.
man, this just opened up my mind - nicely put...
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
hahaha

OAN- this dude AGAIN??? He g me this time too. smh. Glad I never listened to a single one of his tracks.
πŸ“ Reply