Quantcast
Does a person's gear define their sound.... - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does a person's gear define their sound....
Old 21st September 2012
  #31
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
haha now we need to define or specify "sound"
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #32
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDEED ➑️
Every piece of gear that amplifies a signal has a bias. This is why one gets monitors.

So yes, your equipment will
Color your sound up to varrying degrees and directions. Every link in the chain does it, whether u plan for it or not

Does that answer the OP's question?

oh i agree. like i hate abletons overall sound. but for electro i see its uses. but really i am just sitting back and watching ya'll debate. a lot of differing perspectives.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #33
Lives for gear
 
MONSTA_ONE's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
oh i agree. like i hate abletons overall sound. but for electro i see its uses. but really i am just sitting back and watching ya'll debate. a lot of differing perspectives.
not to go off topic ..but how can you hate abeltion lives sound ?? it uses what ever sound card you have ...
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #34
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
not to go off topic ..but how can you hate abeltion lives sound ?? it uses what ever sound card you have ...
its hard to structure in performance mode. and nuanced differences in sound quality.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #35
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I don't think gear defines your sound. I think your sound defines what gear you like to use.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #36
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
not to go off topic ..but how can you hate abeltion lives sound ?? it uses what ever sound card you have ...
I have no idea where people get it from that DAWs have a sound, they process numbers and work with whatever sound card you have.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #37
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
I have no idea where people get it from that DAWs have a sound, they process numbers and work with whatever sound card you have.

all daws process sound differently imo. but yeah, fl studio is my perference. I sold my xp-80 and mpc2000xl because i never used them. I "owned" logic, ableton, renoise and protools and i opt for fl studio. You can build better transitions , drops and fills. It is nearly impossible to build good drops fills and transitions with ableton.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #38
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
I have no idea where people get it from that DAWs have a sound, they process numbers and work with whatever sound card you have.
You can do all the maths you want but if someone thinks overall their ending up with a certain sound/nuance from said software who's to argue.

Quote:
I don't think gear defines your sound. I think your sound defines what gear you like to use.
same thing no?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #39
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
all daws process sound differently imo. but yeah, fl studio is my perference. I sold my xp-80 and mpc2000xl because i never used them. I "owned" logic, ableton, renoise and protools and i opt for fl studio. You can build better transitions , drops and fills. It is nearly impossible to build good drops fills and transitions with ableton.
Nearly impossible ???
It s not harder then in any other daw
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #40
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
You can do all the maths you want but if someone thinks overall their ending up with a certain sound/nuance from said software who's to argue.
What I am referring to is what is actually going on in the DAW, what you are referring to is perception bias. No one has ever come forward with any remotely credible data to suggest that DAWs process sounds differently while there is more than enough evidence to prove the opposite.

Again I implore others to read this thread.
Poll: Do some DAWs have superior sound? (and, are you a programmer / engineer?)
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #41
Gear Maniac
 
Nealatosis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter ➑️
I don't think gear defines your sound. I think your sound defines what gear you like to use.
pretty much sums up this thread
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #42
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
It is nearly impossible to build good drops fills and transitions with ableton.
Wrong.
Old 21st September 2012
  #43
Lives for gear
 
Logical Mind's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I think the only way that gear defines sound is the way people use that gear. Everybody has a general workflow that they use most o the time. If somebody always runs their tt thru the same pre then uses the same eq with similar settings and processes their drums in a similar way (when the drums are similar to all their other drums in the first place), then MAYBE u could say that the way they use their gear is somewhat defining their sound. But as others have stated, it's all abt individual ears, individual knowledge of tools and individual style. Period.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #44
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
You can build better transitions , drops and fills. It is nearly impossible to build good drops fills and transitions with ableton.
This sounds more like a work flow preference than anything else.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #45
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by david Crates ➑️
Nearly impossible ???
It s not harder then in any other daw

performance mode is not calculated enough. i like the rigidness of fl studio better.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #46
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
This sounds more like a work flow preference than anything else.
yeah its work flow. i can make a hot beat with ableton easily but the nuances lack.
Old 21st September 2012
  #47
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
fl studio is more accessible too
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #48
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
fl studio is more accessible too
what do you mean by accessible?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #49
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
what do you mean by accessible?
maybe easy to "obtain" LOL

no... I get lost watching vids with Fruity. It looks complicated or clunky, where other DAWs look intuitive.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #50
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
what do you mean by accessible?
its does NOT take a lot of clicking to get a desired result. logic on the other had is horrible when it comes to this. the learning curve is far greater. Ableton is easy to learn but you have to do mad **** to format.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #51
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
all daws process sound differently imo. but yeah, fl studio is my perference. I sold my xp-80 and mpc2000xl because i never used them. I "owned" logic, ableton, renoise and protools and i opt for fl studio. You can build better transitions , drops and fills. It is nearly impossible to build good drops fills and transitions with ableton.
Out of curiosity why exactly did you switch from Renoise and pro tools ?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #52
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
Id rather stick burning red hot iron rods in my eyes than read that thread thanx : ]

Just saying that the decisions we make (stupid or not)belong to the individual not the collective.Otherwise well all have to agree with each other(boring)or well be argue ing over science and personal belief/actual experience ectect.One see s things one way and that suits their understanding and another see s things in their way too.Thats what makes life interesting.One says fl has a sound and another says its the same as all other daws.Who s right?Do you know the right answer?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #53
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
Id rather stick burning red hot iron rods in my eyes than read that thread thanx : ]

Just saying that the decisions we make (stupid or not)belong to the individual not the collective.Otherwise well all have to agree with each other(boring)or well be argue ing over science and personal belief/actual experience ectect.One see s things one way and that suits their understanding and another see s things in their way too.Thats what makes life interesting.One says fl has a sound and another says its the same as all other daws.Who s right?Do you know the right answer?
I understand, however the answer to your question was in that thread. Unless my understanding of null tests is horrendously inaccurate FL Studio as well as other daws have been shown to give the exact same output.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #54
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
Out of curiosity why exactly did you switch from Renoise and pro tools ?
renoise has horrible work flow and pro tools is basically logic. I prefer fl studios piano roll. the only thing that matches cross the board from what i know is a mpc 12 step pitch input
Old 21st September 2012
  #55
DAH
Lives for gear
 
DAH's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Ayo teknohlohjieh.
OP do not confuse "the sound" with the "workflow"
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #56
Here for the gear
 
Famicom's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
It is nearly impossible to build good drops fills and transitions with ableton.
You forget the words 'for me' in that sentence, just a hint, it should be right after 'impossible'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
Ableton sounds thinner and has bad structure
is this serious ?

Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #57
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
I understand, however the answer to your question was in that thread. Unless my understanding of null tests is horrendously inaccurate FL Studio as well as other daws have been shown to give the exact same output.
Null tests are interesting at best.They do not cover many bases as far as different situations are concerned.Obviously if you use different daws you will generally get different results.Unless you a robot of cousrse.Interested for clarity what some of these people that do the null tests music is like.Probably too busy testing things to get into any real defining situation where the borders of the designs in the sw are pushed and kinked(character)
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #58
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famicom ➑️
You forget the words 'for me' in that sentence, just a hint, it should be right after 'impossible'...


is this serious ?


i am just giving my personal experience. abletons not that great for hip-hop. google....it helps.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #59
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
Null tests are interesting at best.They do not cover many bases as far as different situations are concerned.
What bases do they not cover?
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #60
Gear Maniac
 
Nealatosis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by trillgates ➑️
i am just giving my personal experience. abletons not that great for hip-hop. google....it helps.
I think this thread proves that it doesn't matter what you use. What matters is what workflow 'clicks' with your personality. For every Daw/hardware mentioned you can most likely name a great musician that uses it and has received good results. As far as ableton goes I know plenty great hip hop beats made in it and the same goes for Akai, NI, FL studio, Reason, Asr-10, sp1200 etc etc.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 6 views: 1590
Avatar for LeoLeoLeo
LeoLeoLeo 4th July 2011
replies: 295 views: 74399
Avatar for anguswoodhead
anguswoodhead 26th March 2013
replies: 1296 views: 181948
Avatar for heraldo_jones
heraldo_jones 1st February 2016
replies: 27730 views: 2479257
Avatar for Ray_1950
Ray_1950 1 hour ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump