🎧 5 years
nicki minaj stutter effect

how do i get this effect in pro tools?

Nicki Minaj - Moment 4 Life (MTV Version) ft. Drake - YouTube
1:09
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
One way is to duplicate the words you want repeated and align them to the grid.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves Mondomod.
Old 21st September 2012
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Izotope stutter edit
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb ➑️
Izotope stutter edit
i've read some really dope things about this
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
dBlue Glitch + automation
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
why would you want anything nikki does on your records?
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-MHE ➑️
its a cool effect
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
yeah, why would you want to do anything nicki minaj, a billboard topping, platinum record selling artist does on your records?
Old 24th September 2012
EDF
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngdv ➑️
yeah, why would you want to do anything nicki minaj, a billboard topping, platinum record selling artist does on your records?
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
And I'm guessing by copying her effects your going to somehow duplicate her so called success right? Umm right.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Ummmm, it's just standard s t u t t e r effect used in hundreds of songs. It's not Nicki Minaj specific. That's like saying "Why would you want to use drums in your song just because Nicki Minaj uses drums?"

Bizarre.

Anyway to the OP...

Just use the tempo grid in your DAW (get the correct tempo first) to chop the audio. It's pretty easy.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender412 ➑️
Ummmm, it's just standard s t u t t e r effect used in hundreds of songs. It's not Nicki Minaj specific. That's like saying "Why would you want to use drums in your song just because Nicki Minaj uses drums?"

Bizarre.

Anyway to the OP...

Just use the tempo grid in your DAW (get the correct tempo first) to chop the audio. It's pretty easy.
I'm very aware it's a very (overly) effect. But he referred Nikki specifically. And I asked him a specific question. Your generalization was in regards to the effect. Mine was to him wanting to copy anything that Nikki does! Which further makes your drum analogy silly and irrelevant. But thanks for the observation.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmusic ➑️
how do i get this effect in pro tools?

Nicki Minaj - Moment 4 Life (MTV Version) ft. Drake - YouTube
1:09
the fastest way is to copy the word, and paste it to the grid (assuming you have the correct tempo to the track) and paste backwards as may times as you want to do it. I like to do it but then pan them so they hit left and right...It def can give a track more flow when you have a pause between words...its a style, if you like it, us it...who cares bout pointless opinions...lol

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm very aware it's a very (overly) effect. But he referred Nikki specifically. And I asked him a specific question. Your generalization was in regards to the effect. Mine was to him wanting to copy anything that Nikki does! Which further makes your drum analogy silly and irrelevant. But thanks for the observation.
Sorry but you're making no sense whatsoever. If you feel that he shouldn't copy ANYTHING that "Nicki" does, then that means ANYTHING, right?? Like, say, DRUMS??? Or maybe a synth sound? Because that s-t-u-t-t-e-r effect is just as common as anything else. He needed an example of what he wanted, and it just so happened that he used a NM song. He didn't ask anybody's personal opinion on Nicki Minaj.

I personally couldn't care less about her, but nobody really cares that you don't like her. That's what the Moan Zone is for.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry but you're making no sense whatsoever. If you feel that he shouldn't copy ANYTHING that "Nicki" does, then that means ANYTHING, right?? Like, say, DRUMS??? Or maybe a synth sound? Because that s-t-u-t-t-e-r effect is just as common as anything else. He needed an example of what he wanted, and it just so happened that he used a NM song. He didn't ask anybody's personal opinion on Nicki Minaj.

I personally couldn't care less about her, but nobody really cares that you don't like her. That's what the Moan Zone is for.
I dont know her to not like her. Nor do I remember writing anywhere that I didn't like her your the one who felt the need to stick up for her so called stutter effect, since he wants to copy her effects should he want to wear her wiggs too? and just because you can't seem to comprehend what I was asking or the purpose doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, and if he needed an example then why couldn't you just provide that rather than comment on my question? If you some how think your helping or trying to you should stick to giving the op advice an not be worrying about my comments or opinions, that you so felt the need to challenge. And if my opinion or comments need to be in the moan zone then this whole forum needs to be changed to the moan zone then.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I dont know her to not like her. Nor do I remember writing anywhere that I didn't like her your the one who felt the need to stick up for her so called stutter effect, since he wants to copy her effects should he want to wear her wiggs too? and just because you can't seem to comprehend what I was asking or the purpose doesn't mean it doesn't make sense, and if he needed an example then why couldn't you just provide that rather than comment on my question? If you some how think your helping or trying to you should stick to giving the op advice an not be worrying about my comments or opinions, that you so felt the need to challenge. And if my opinion or comments need to be in the moan zone then this whole forum needs to be changed to the moan zone then.
Ok this is my last response to this, and then you can "win" lol.

A person makes a post to try to get help on an effect that he HAPPENED to hear in a NM song, even though it could have been a hundred other artists who use the same effect. The 1st 5 ppl to respond give him credible information on how to obtain that effect. THAT'S what the forum is for. The next poster asks him WHY he would want to use that effect, as if the OP asked for opinions on his desire to use that effect. And I just CAN'T help but wonder.... WHY???
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

A person makes a post to try to get help on an effect that he HAPPENED to hear in a NM song, even though it could have been a hundred other artists who use the same effect. The 1st 5 ppl to respond give him credible information on how to obtain that effect. THAT'S what the forum is for. The next poster asks him WHY he would want to use that effect, as if the OP asked for opinions on his desire to use that effect. And I just CAN'T help but wonder.... WHY???
It's called Internet trolling. None of the posts he made provided anything useful to anyone in this thread.

Isotope stutter gets some pretty wild edits happening quickly. The manual suggestion is a good way to go!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

According to you he happened to hear it on every commercial record lol I asked a question which I'm clearly entitled to, and it because I wanted to know that's why, why worry about my questions if you view them as un important then just offer your great contributions and be happy pay me no attention please!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau_mckee ➑️
It's called Internet trolling. None of the posts he made provided anything useful to anyone in this thread.

Isotope stutter gets some pretty wild edits happening quickly. The manual suggestion is a good way to go!
Hello mate how ya going? Every thread does not have a useful contribution as I'm sure every thread you participate in, you don't give a useful contribution, maybe your thoughts but who's to say they are useful? I wonder does that make you a troll? Hmm hopefully not. Have a great day or night whatever time it is where your at.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello mate how ya going? Every thread does not have a useful contribution as I'm sure every thread you participate in, you don't give a useful contribution, maybe your thoughts but who's to say they are useful? I wonder does that make you a troll? Hmm hopefully not. Have a great day or night whatever time it is where your at.
I cannot understand the point you're trying to get across but I sure do get a sense of smartassery.
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Maybe if we stay completely still and silent he will go away.lol... I havent heard of the izotope thing will try it out in the next few days. I do the grid/tempo thing and the paning thing is good to. Depending on the track sometimes i will go crazy with effects on the stutters. I also pitch the stutters occasionally while putting vinyl scratch sample over the vocal so it sound like a dj is playing with the vocals
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
**seriously contemplates suicide after reading this post**
Old 26th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I cannot understand the point you're trying to get across but I sure do get a sense of smartassery.
my point is im entitled to do what i please, even if thats to ask a question. you have the option to ignore me and whatever i do. as suggested if you ignore me i'll probably have no reason to respond to you or anyone else for that matter. now the smartassery
Old 26th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
When I was a kid I always wondered how they did all those crazy stutter effects on Bobby browns early records, figured it out when I got into sampling, but even that stuff was a lot more complicated then this Nikki song IMO
Old 26th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Some of it sounds like its loaded to an MPC or maschine and tapped out.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
hahaha i just got up off the floor and i'm still laughin good one !
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful ➑️
hahaha i just got up off the floor and i'm still laughin good one !
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
my point is im entitled to do what i please, even if thats to ask a question. you have the option to ignore me and whatever i do. as suggested if you ignore me i'll probably have no reason to respond to you or anyone else for that matter. now the smartassery
You are entitled to your opinion. I just think your opinion isn't that great.

Copying her effects won't duplicate her success in the same manner as picking up a guitar doesn't make you Jimmy Hendrix. However, everyone needs to start somewhere.
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion. I just think your opinion isn't that great.

Copying her effects won't duplicate her success in the same manner as picking up a guitar doesn't make you Jimmy Hendrix. However, everyone needs to start somewhere.
I wish you didn't care about my opinion as much as I don't care about yours. Copying her effects surely won't duplicate her success. They why are we using examples of specific people who we are trying to duplicate rather than just the use of the effect itself? Which is more credit to the engineer/producer than the artist themselves. Carry on with your day sir
πŸ“ Reply