Quantcast
Best High-pass Filters for Bass? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best High-pass Filters for Bass?
Old 20th September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Best High-pass Filters for Bass?

I find putting a high pass filter at 20-30 on my on bass elements clean up a lot of unpleasant rumble down there. I'm wondering if this is a common practice? I'm sure there ME's who do this to the final mix down. Which EQs are best for this? Which ones causes the least artifacts and sound the cleanest?

I'm currently using Waves REQ.. what are the better options?
Old 20th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Thats where all the good stuff is...
Old 20th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
below 30hz?
Old 20th September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Ken Lewis's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
UAD Cambridge EQ. Steepest filter i've heard with a kick ass EQ section as well.
Old 20th September 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
I've read back in the disco era they filtered everything below 60hz, bass and kick, and those basslines are some of the best ever in terms of the clean, fat, punchy sound I think you're looking for, and the drums definitely sound great. Maybe try that.
Old 20th September 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
60hz sounds pretty high... that sounds dangerous in this era of music lol.

thanks ken.. i'ma look into that one.
Old 20th September 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Leave it up to the mastering engineer. Unless you are really having problems getting things to fit

Sent from my SCH-I510
Old 20th September 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I don't send my tracks off to ME's lol.
I'm just a bedroom beat maker.
I mix and DIY master my own tracks.
Old 20th September 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
The Elf's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'll typically filter bass anywhere between 40-90Hz, depending on the context. I may use hardware, but in terms of software I like Waves' Linear phase EQs. Sometimes I like the colouration of less esoteric EQ, so I'll try a couple of options before settling. I also like FabFilter's Pro-Q, or Waves' H-EQ when I'm going to get busy with the EQ. Often I'll choose Cubase's own simple HPF.

The steepest slope is not always the one to go for - see how you get on with higher frequencies and gentler slopes.

I apply filtering on individual tracks - not on the mix buss.
Old 20th September 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
jeremycox's Avatar
Sometimes a little boost where the fundamental of the kick is, and a cut on either side can really tighten the kick up. I use a waves Q normally.
Old 20th September 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
stinkyfingers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
AU HiPass
ReaEq
DDMF iieq pro (butters)
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
  #12
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➑️
60hz sounds pretty high... that sounds dangerous in this era of music lol.

thanks ken.. i'ma look into that one.
lol, well I guess if you need to sound like everyone else today its dangerous...

To my ears, that music that was rolled off at 60hz sounds better than todays, so depends on your taste I guess.
Old 20th September 2012
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Alxi's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I personnaly like a single pole filter ( 6db) as highpass filter rater then the super steep ones. But for some reason the IK classic eq filter sounds very good to me ( and i'm prety sure it's a 12db curve )
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
  #14
Lives for gear
 
jeremycox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 ➑️
lol, well I guess if you need to sound like everyone else today its dangerous...

To my ears, that music that was rolled off at 60hz sounds better than todays, so depends on your taste I guess.
Its also difficult to put 30hz down to vinyl. The needle starts jumping out of the groove with too much bottom end.
Old 20th September 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Laurend's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
The best HPF for bass is the filter bypass. Period.
Please could you tell me which instrument generates such a a high 30 Hz energy that needs to be removed in the final mix? Why using a harmful HPF on the whole mix when you have the full control of the particular problematic source while you mix?
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurend ➑️
The best HPF for bass is the filter bypass. Period.
Please could you tell me which instrument generates such a a high 30 Hz energy that needs to be removed in the final mix? Why using a harmful HPF on the whole mix when you have the full control of the particular problematic source while you mix?
So you're telling me I should never high pass a bass sound at 30hz?
And there is never a low muddy rumble under 30hz.... EVER?
Old 21st September 2012
  #17
Gear Addict
 
🎧 5 years
I work in a similar situation to you typhy and my bass comes from either a sine patch or an 808... I just use the stock studio one eq with the steepest slope at 30hz on the bass or 808...it makes getting it loud alot easier.
Old 21st September 2012
  #18
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Don't want to hijack the thread but got a quick question: Is using a Hi-Pass at say for example 60hz the same as using an EQ and dipping everything below 60hz? Will they sound the same? Cause to date I've been hi-passing everything (that needs it) as opposed to EQ'ing.
Old 21st September 2012
  #19
Lives for gear
 
Logical Mind's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➑️
So you're telling me I should never high pass a bass sound at 30hz?
And there is never a low muddy rumble under 30hz.... EVER?
20hz is the bottom of the range of human hearing anyway. The difference btwn not being able to hear anything under 20hz and 30hz in a mix is pretty negligible IMO.
Old 21st September 2012
  #20
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
I found the Waves VEQ doesn't empty out the bass when you use the high pass on it. You can filter up to about (I think) the 87Hz notch and the bass still sounds thick, but moves enough out of the way to make room for the kick.
Old 21st September 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
stinkyfingers's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
sometimes problems with sub-sonics can arise when using certain efx...compression, saturation, etc...you can have DC and/or LF junk from processing that you may want to get rid of after the fact...it could have an effect on headroom and/or other plug-ins further along the chain (if any)
maybe you stared with a "clean" bass, but after processing, it may need a little tidying up...enter the HPF...
Old 21st September 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
jeremycox's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical Mind ➑️
20hz is the bottom of the range of human hearing anyway. The difference btwn not being able to hear anything under 20hz and 30hz in a mix is pretty negligible IMO.
Except for the amount of energy it uses to keep those frequencies there, even if they aren't noticeable.
Old 21st September 2012
  #23
Lives for gear
 
matucha's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 15 years
If you actually are responsible for the production part of the job. Just make sure your baselines are in the right spot. If you go too low it won't work very well and HP filter could somehow work (on some very harmonicaly rich bass sounds), but it's always compromise. And you don't want compromise, not if you can avoid it. Don't go too high either, because then you loose body. Where is the sweetspot? Depends on genre, but most of them respect 40Hz barrier and some like 50hz.

If I get a track to mix, where there is little energy in sub and bass just won't work octave bellow (because it would be too low). Triggering a kick drum tuned to fill the gap(s) works as the best solution most of the time. If bass is too low, fabfilter EQ or apulsoft EQs hipass filters do the job. But it's allways tricky.

Some synth patches and some distortion plugs/hw generate significant amount of sub bass which isn't related really to the music. 99% it can be filtered out without loosing anything important.

I like to use hp filters' resonance sometimes to shape/fatten the kicks, or even groups or even 2buss. Sometimes there is a curve that just locks in with the bass. Apulsoft eq is my favourite for this. But also Decapitator has similar facility and can make some kick work like no other plugin.
Old 21st September 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
Stackx's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchGeist ➑️
Don't want to hijack the thread but got a quick question: Is using a Hi-Pass at say for example 60hz the same as using an EQ and dipping everything below 60hz? Will they sound the same? Cause to date I've been hi-passing everything (that needs it) as opposed to EQ'ing.

Filtering and band pass dipping is different. Yes.

And there's nothing wrong with putting a hpf on bass. But it does depend on the bass if its playing that low I would not filter down there.
Old 21st September 2012
  #25
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Sonimus Sweetone. Blow mode. Nice. Cheap. Good investment- dead easy to use.

BTW props on apulsoft apeq! My desert island eq no question. Filters are VERY flexible.
Old 21st September 2012
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Laurend's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
About sin wave: It's a pure tone with no harmonic. If its frequency is 60 Hz, applying a 30 Hz HPF leads to a 3 attenuation at 60 Hz. This can be done with the fader gain without the usual drawbacks of filtering. Because it's pure, there isn't any energy to remove at 30 Hz...
What are the drawback?
- For minimum phase topology, the phase **** in the frequency spectrum introduces a severe modification of the wave form which is bad for any further dynamic processing.
- For linear phase filters, pre-ringing and attack smoothing may be serious issues.

The Phase Matters - YouTube
Old 21st September 2012
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Dayl's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ray ➑️
Sonimus Sweetone. Blow mode. Nice. Cheap. Good investment- dead easy to use.
Wha? When did this drop!? Damn. Was actually going to give satson a mention. I love the filters .



Sent from my Nexus One
Old 21st September 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
I wonder what type of bass do people hi pass,becose I never hi passed any bass in five years of playing with the synths
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodym ➑️
I wonder what type of bass do people hi pass,becose I never hi passed any bass in five years of playing with the synths
I high pass when I don't want the sub of the bass being heavier than the kick.

Especially for a synth, if the low end is modulating or has some fake analogue stuff happening down there, I get rid of it if its not meaningful in the mix. I'll go up to the woofer and determine if it helps the entire song, usually it's useless.

Actually even when the bass is a deliberate subby bass, I might still high pass some of the useless rumble. Sometimes I'm high passing just out of habit too. A friend of mine doesn't high bass bass, he likes to just turn the bass part down, and boost harmonics. His monitoring is top notch though.

I found that I like the Satson Channel thing... has a really nice hi pass filter, however, I am not sure that the rest of the plug-in can be bypassed. Shame. I like the filters a lot.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
  #30
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
I high pass when I don't want the sub of the bass being heavier than the kick.

Especially for a synth, if the low end is modulating or has some fake analogue stuff happening down there, I get rid of it if its not meaningful in the mix. I'll go up to the woofer and determine if it helps the entire song, usually it's useless.

Actually even when the bass is a deliberate subby bass, I might still high pass some of the useless rumble. Sometimes I'm high passing just out of habit too. A friend of mine doesn't high bass bass, he likes to just turn the bass part down, and boost harmonics. His monitoring is top notch though.

I found that I like the Satson Channel thing... has a really nice hi pass filter, however, I am not sure that the rest of the plug-in can be bypassed. Shame. I like the filters a lot.
what I dont understand is why you hi pass the bass rather than change settings of synthethis? I never hi pass bass,I program bass in way it dont need ANY of this
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 198 views: 42306
Avatar for fsanfili
fsanfili 3rd June 2021
replies: 1634 views: 202323
Avatar for Topgear
Topgear 13th June 2011
replies: 530 views: 73992
Avatar for joe_04_04
joe_04_04 12th August 2015
replies: 465 views: 78609
Avatar for cuzzinlouie
cuzzinlouie 21st March 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump