Best High-pass Filters for Bass? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best High-pass Filters for Bass?
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse381 ➡️
lol, well I guess if you need to sound like everyone else today its dangerous...

To my ears, that music that was rolled off at 60hz sounds better than todays, so depends on your taste I guess.
Do we know that it actually was rolled off though, no point debating until we know
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The filter on the SSL Duende channel is nice for this.

Also, sonimus satson has great filters.
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If bass has to much energy down there where most of it is just power instead of actually being heard I don't know how you can expect to get a loud master without filtering out some of it.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sometimes **** happens where you need to get sub-sub tones out of a bass. Typical GS.

REQ is fine. Play around with the slope angle and corner frequency. Sometimes it's better to use a shelf than a hi-pass - a little easier to control the results. 90 degrees often sounds bad, but sometimes it sounds bad in the right way. My thoughts.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurend ➡️
About sin wave: It's a pure tone with no harmonic. If its frequency is 60 Hz, applying a 30 Hz HPF leads to a 3 attenuation at 60 Hz. This can be done with the fader gain without the usual drawbacks of filtering. Because it's pure, there isn't any energy to remove at 30 Hz...
What are the drawback?
- For minimum phase topology, the phase **** in the frequency spectrum introduces a severe modification of the wave form which is bad for any further dynamic processing.
- For linear phase filters, pre-ringing and attack smoothing may be serious issues.

The Phase Matters - YouTube
Where hare you read that the OP was talking only about a sine waves ?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's not uncommon at all for me to slap a HPF on the 2buss. I go for gentle with a 6dB/octave filter and set it super low like 20Hz. Different filters will sound differently at different frequencies so 20Hz on one might sound the same as 30Hz on another. Anyway, sometimes it just helps tighten up the whole mix without really affecting what you are hearing in the low lows. If I use it, I will generally mix into it so I'm taking it into account when I'm mixing a bassline or whatever.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodym ➡️
what I dont understand is why you hi pass the bass rather than change settings of synthethis? I never hi pass bass,I program bass in way it dont need ANY of this
Yeah, you're prob right. Habit.

But I do trust my 'go to' filters more than the synths internal filters (if they even have them) I know how they react at what cutoff, etc.

I don't know anything about the fidelity of my synths' filters, but yeah they do sound well enough to use...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxi ➡️
Where hare you read that the OP was talking only about a sine waves ?
when you break it down, it's all sine waves...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkyfingers ➡️
when you break it down, it's all sine waves...
lolol.. wow.
Some guys will really fork any audio principals at you to prove their point.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter ➡️
It's not uncommon at all for me to slap a HPF on the 2buss. I go for gentle with a 6dB/octave filter and set it super low like 20Hz. Different filters will sound differently at different frequencies so 20Hz on one might sound the same as 30Hz on another. Anyway, sometimes it just helps tighten up the whole mix without really affecting what you are hearing in the low lows. If I use it, I will generally mix into it so I'm taking it into account when I'm mixing a bassline or whatever.
Sometimes even higher and steeper works quite well. At times it does harm, but mostly i can find some curve that makes lowend work better than without it. And in some cases it get much better (which is always suspicious to me, but if it works that way on many systems, then it stays).
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➡️
I'm currently using Waves REQ.
Try FabFilter Pro-Q. They have a 30day Demo.
FabFilter Pro-Q - High quality Equalizer Plug-in VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite

Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
My name is jrides, and I approve this topic.

Paid for by the Remove Random Unnecessary Low Frequency Energy From the Bottom of a Mix Foundation.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha ➡️
Sometimes even higher and steeper works quite well. At times it does harm, but mostly i can find some curve that makes lowend work better than without it. And in some cases it get much better (which is always suspicious to me, but if it works that way on many systems, then it stays).
I don't have the balls for those steep filters, but if I'm going higher, I don't mind a Pultec type curve (slight bell above the cutoff). Actually yeah, PULTEC (I have the UAD)... great for low end!

I also find that leaving a healthy amount of low end on HHs actually sounds a lot better than cutting the lows.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey ➡️
Do we know that it actually was rolled off though, no point debating until we know
I mentioned it in my initial post. He (Nile Rodgers) said typically everything below 60 cycles was rolled off on their records.

Quote:
In those days Studio 54 was the top club in the world, so we got one of their DJs to put his name on the record saying he mixed it. He didn’t mix it, he didn’t know how to mix, he’d never been in a recording studio in his life. But it was cool, it was fun, it was marketing, it was guerrilla, we’d figured out what we had to do to get noticed. Every DJ wanted to be the DJ at Studio 54 and he’s mixing records too? Damn, Studio 54 is hip. They saw his name, they saw this group called Chick or something and they started pumping it with that bassline and as soon as they heard that bassline they were hooked (sings it).

Now it doesn’t sound heavy like basslines now, with 808s and tone generators and subsonic bass, ‘cause no one had subwoofers in those days. Back then we typically rolled off everything that was under 60 cycles. Now you add that ****. But this was heavy in those days, ‘cause this was relatively mono, so it was left right, left right, and we knew that the clubs were going to be the places that broke us, and when you fold that down to mono it sounds almost the same ‘cause it’s not very stereo. And that was our edge. You played that record and our record sounded heavy to people (sings bass) and all the DJs go: “I want that record with that bass,” ‘cause it was a new phenomenon to them.
Nile Rodgers | Red Bull Music Academy
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I used it sometimes on the bass and got the best results with a linear phase EQ. (DMGAudio, Pro-Q having such types of EQ).
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodym ➡️
what I dont understand is why you hi pass the bass rather than change settings of synthethis? I never hi pass bass,I program bass in way it dont need ANY of this
Sometimes we get files from others. When we do they are wave files. Can not reprogram a wave file and can not always replace it either. What do YOU do in those situations.
📝 Reply