MPC REN Emulator review - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MPC REN Emulator review
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3 ➡️
Yeah the ssm filter chips are probably the best chip based filters. But the thing about the sp is that, in that machine, the filters were implemented in a static, non-resonant way.
Thank you, there's also the envelope contolled lpf on outputs 1 and 2 that is actually the most intersting of the brunch and can get some use for shortening kik drums or stuff like that....

the other filters are super flat, all that talk about the chip and it being used on sequencial circuits synths is just that, talk...reality is that these filters are ultra limited in use and sound nothing special...

sp1200 fanatics tend to sing the praises of their drum machine like crazy when in fact it's a super limited and dated box with ****ty pads, an a archaic sequencer, barely usable filters and an interesting aliasing when shifting.

If you're looking for a sampler that have a good filter get a sequencial circuits prophet 2002, now we're talking, that ish can auto oscilate.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
szf
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yes it is super limited, that's the beauty of it. and it's also incredibly intuitive and inspirational to use.. I have a few mpcs.. and still choose to use the sequencer in my sp for drum work.
I agree the pads are a quite ****ty though, but you can set it to record mode and use mpc pads over midi if that really bothers you.. anyway have fun with your prophet 2002, if that's what you prefer.
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I was hoping this wouldnt happen but it always does. But who ever said they did a NI emulation shootout and will do a REN one as well I would be greatfull for that. Do you have a link?

All I know alot of people do these with drums only and leave out a sample loop of a record. If you havent done this with the Maschine can you do it with the REN?

All the arguing in the world means NOTHING. Just listen for yourself. I have spent 1000s of dollars and most times things never ended up as I expected. The things I was sure I would like I didnt and others I thought I wouldnt, I did. And eveything is completely different when in the mix.

Thankx guys
Old 21st September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy ➡️
I was hoping this wouldnt happen but it always does. But who ever said they did a NI emulation shootout and will do a REN one as well I would be greatfull for that. Do you have a link?

All I know alot of people do these with drums only and leave out a sample loop of a record. If you havent done this with the Maschine can you do it with the REN?

All the arguing in the world means NOTHING. Just listen for yourself. I have spent 1000s of dollars and most times things never ended up as I expected. The things I was sure I would like I didnt and others I thought I wouldnt, I did. And eveything is completely different when in the mix.

Thankx guys
https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-...on-part-i.html

https://gearspace.com/board/rap-hip-...n-part-ii.html
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Guess what I got!!! Yup an MPC Ren. So far it is good only installed it and messed around with it for about 2-3 hours. But I also own the Machine and in the past have owned and/or used MPC2000/MPC2000xl/MPC1000/MPC4000/ and MPC5000. Also along side a bunch of other drum machines, samplers, and sequencers. About to years ago I ditch the MPC because I need a workflow that was more software integrated, so I got Machine and have been working with that ever since.

The first thing I will say is that Machine is great, and NI made a great product I still have use for it in my workflow. But this MPC Ren Sounds and feels phenomenal!!! It has the MPC Punch and the lock. The pads feels good. and the box is heavy. It has some weight on it. It is built with some very good materials and love. I feel like I am playing with toy with the machine controller. And the MPC Vintage mode blows away the machine and most other software only plugs with vintage modes or emulations.

I was under the impression that you had to use the audio interface portion of the MPC Ren in order to hear the emulations. But no! I quickly hooked it up and after a while of installing (Had issues with the extra content discs) and set the audio outs to my Symphony I/O so I could get straight to banging on some pads. After a while I decided that I was just gonna hit the button just because I was in a button pushing mood and low and behold it actually changed the sound of it going out of my Symphony. I did not test this extensively as I was trying to find my way around the MPC again after 2 years of being away from it.

I am going to test it out for a few days before I start making some detailed comments and opinions on it. But so far it is looking pretty good. I have noticed a couple things that will be some feature request, but I will hold on to them until I can confirm if it is there or not.

But from my first impression:
Feel Good and very well built,
Looks Good,
Sounds Good (This is using the Symphony as the sound device not the internal I/O. I will check that out soon a let you know my thoughts)
Kept its MPC feel,
The swing and the lock is very on point,
And sounds and programs load up very quickly.

Be back soon with more details after I am able to really spend sometime with it.
Attached Thumbnails
MPC REN Emulator review-mpc-ren.jpg  
Closed