Quantcast
the perfect kicks! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the perfect kicks!
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
the perfect kicks!

How do I make kicks like these!!!! I love them!!! ..Help me to sound like these kicks!!:

Big Sean - 24k of Gold ft J.Cole [Detroit Mixtape] - YouTube

DJ Drama - My Moment ft. 2 Chainz, Meek Mill & Jeremih - YouTube
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Addressing frequency masking between bass and kick will really open up your mixes.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The perfect kicks are shelltoe Adidas with the fat laces champ!
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the first one sounds over compressed and heavily distorted.
i didn't even listen to the second one.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
im feeling you , nice nice kick sounds (didnt feel the songs very much though , i have to admit !) it instantly reminded me of me of the bass drum on this track , Ms.Darks - Oyster Card (Official Video) - OUT NOW ON iTUNES - YouTube , .punchy! like punch in your chest punchy!
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i think the best kick i've ever heard is the one in "that way" by wale.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
synthesize your own.im just learning this now and feel like a ****** having spent ages going through sample packs looking for really basic kicks that could have been synthesized in a matter of seconds.
Old 20th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnewhere ➑️
synthesize your own.im just learning this now and feel like a ****** having spent ages going through sample packs looking for really basic kicks that could have been synthesized in a matter of seconds.
I have to co sign that one. I'm just getting into it myself and I wish I would've started years ago
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➑️
+1

Wish I had a sample of that one! That snare/rim sound is ridiculous too!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo ➑️
+1

Wish I had a sample of that one! That snare/rim sound is ridiculous too!
I know right?!

I swear that kick has the perfect low end with the perfect snap attack.
I loooove the way it knocks in my car.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Stack and layer quality drum sounds
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
Nah... black J6 Infrareds. Tinker Hatfield in full effect.
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
what sythesizers do yall use to create kicks?
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Quote:
That was the standout drum track for me on the album, balance etc. Good shout bro.
Old 22nd September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye ➑️
I really think Sylenth does this really well. Z3ta 2, Predator, and the Korg Polysix, are great synths for percussions too. If all else fails get an actual percussion synth like Chromaphone or MicroTonic I am a fan of those too.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
i use ultrabeat in logic

if you want something really simple u can try bazzism

ive heard the waldorf attack and tattoo from audio damage are great
Old 25th September 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayross13 ➑️
How do I make kicks like these!!!! I love them!!! ..Help me to sound like these kicks!!:

Big Sean - 24k of Gold ft J.Cole [Detroit Mixtape] - YouTube

DJ Drama - My Moment ft. 2 Chainz, Meek Mill & Jeremih - YouTube
to me, I think a correct balance overall will make your kick, (which ever you are using) stand out. Now if you are looking for an exact kick...sample it..lol
Old 25th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
transient designer does wonders. also frequency picking and sidechaining is key for low bass kicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YR7h...feature=relmfu

for reference
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I would have to say Wale - Pretty Girls

(Instrumental) Wale - Pretty Girls - YouTube

If anyone does have this kick sample let me know....
Old 27th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Native Instruments Battery is really good. endless options, all the effects you could ever want/use and overall pristine sound.
Old 28th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years

CLEAN & PUNCHY.
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Sound on Sound 9/12 has an excellent article on kick and bass. It covers stuff you probably already know, but sometimes having every scenario laid out in a concise fashion really nails it into your brain. There are ways to do things, but knowing what situation calls for what operation rather than relying on a hi pass and compression as default is key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntd Fool ➑️
Native Instruments Battery is really good. endless options, all the effects you could ever want/use and overall pristine sound.
Do you actually use the stuff in Battery? What do you use?
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner ➑️
Addressing frequency masking between bass and kick will really open up your mixes.
what exactly do you mean
Old 28th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayross13 ➑️
what exactly do you mean
Don't allow the dominant low frequency of the kick overlap the fundamental of the bass. You might be able to pitch the kick up a tone so that the low end of the kick is in a completely different octave.

Or find a notch in the bass waveform and carve the kick's dominant sub frequency to fit in there.

If you are masking frequencies in the low end, you will risk phase nulling, which in turn you might try to boost with more low end later, and you'll end up with a wooly low end. The wooly low end soaks up all the headroom your buss processing will need. Then you start chasing compressor settings, so on so forth.

He is saying to adress phase issues 1st, it is great advice.

Try to take a key tracking sine wave and a kick. Play the sine and watch the fundamentals for each note in an analyzer. Audition your kick at different pitches so that the 2 fundamentals complement each other without stepping over each other. It's good practice imo.
Old 29th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️
Don't allow the dominant low frequency of the kick overlap the fundamental of the bass. You might be able to pitch the kick up a tone so that the low end of the kick is in a completely different octave.

Or find a notch in the bass waveform and carve the kick's dominant sub frequency to fit in there.

If you are masking frequencies in the low end, you will risk phase nulling, which in turn you might try to boost with more low end later, and you'll end up with a wooly low end. The wooly low end soaks up all the headroom your buss processing will need. Then you start chasing compressor settings, so on so forth.

Try to take a key tracking sine wave and a kick. Play the sine and watch the fundamentals for each note in an analyzer. Audition your kick at different pitches so that the 2 fundamentals complement each other without stepping over each other. It's good practice imo.

Great post
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ➑️

so what do I look for in the analyzer and how will I know the bass and kick complement each other well other than just using my ear?
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ok I know people have all said many good tips but I really just want this exact kick and cant seem to create it!!!

DJ Drama - My Moment ft. 2 Chainz, Meek Mill, Jeremih - YouTube
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Here's what I do. It's not the only way, but I think you will love the results!

1) Find a strong kick sample that you love.

2) Audition many other kick sounds over it so you see which kicks will blend with it.

3) Add anywhere from one to six of these kicks over the original and dial them in (use EQ if there's to much bass or click build up).

4) Now decide which part of the frequency spectrum is missing and dial it in with parallel compression. Meaning, take the original kick or the whole blend and copy it to a separate track. EQ it so that only the frequencies you want to add come through. Compress it at around 10:1 until it knocks off about 10db (use your ear to tweak this), and then slowly bring the fader up until it adds enough of the frequency range you wanted.

5) If CPU usage is an issue, save the kick blend as its own file and bounce down to its own sample to save space!

Sounds like a lot, but it only takes about 10 minutes. Just be very careful that kicks you use to layer over the original sound are blending really well and not causing any phase issues or anything weird. I promise this works!

-Alfie
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieProducer ➑️
Here's what I do. It's not the only way, but I think you will love the results!

1) Find a strong kick sample that you love.

2) Audition many other kick sounds over it so you see which kicks will blend with it.

3) Add anywhere from one to six of these kicks over the original and dial them in (use EQ if there's to much bass or click build up).

4) Now decide which part of the frequency spectrum is missing and dial it in with parallel compression. Meaning, take the original kick or the whole blend and copy it to a separate track. EQ it so that only the frequencies you want to add come through. Compress it at around 10:1 until it knocks off about 10db (use your ear to tweak this), and then slowly bring the fader up until it adds enough of the frequency range you wanted.

5) If CPU usage is an issue, save the kick blend as its own file and bounce down to its own sample to save space!

Sounds like a lot, but it only takes about 10 minutes. Just be very careful that kicks you use to layer over the original sound are blending really well and not causing any phase issues or anything weird. I promise this works!

-Alfie
bro It would make my life complete if you made a video on how to do this on youtube!! you really guarantee it will sound exactly like the kick in that DJ drama track I posted up?!
πŸ“ Reply