Quantcast
the perfect kicks! - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the perfect kicks!
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I can't guarantee it will sound exactly like the kick you have in mind, but this is how powerful commercial kicks are achieved. Getting that exact sound comes down to your level of skill in this process and also your ear.

What software are you using? I would be glad to explain via messaging or even on the phone if you want. This website has given me a lot of free help over the past two years, so now I am finally giving back lol!

Email: [email protected]
Phone: (516) 330-2517

Thanks!
Old 29th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Ok, I just listened to the track! My technique is more for punchy kicks, although it can really be used for anything. The kick in the Drama song sounds like an 808. Really subby and smooth. The actual kick sound is very short and clean. What makes it boom is the bass underneath it. Without the bass synth or bass guitar, it would sound terrible. Here's how I would do it:

1) Take a very clean sounding 808 kick sample from any good Roland sample pack.

2) Mess with the decay until you just get the first click of the drum, without all the bass tail that follows.

3) Load a very deep subby synth bass patch on your keyboard or whatever you use and play a note every time your kick hits. This will make it seem like the kick is being held out and booming.

Good luck!

-Alfie
Old 14th November 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➡️
i think the best kick i've ever heard is the one in "that way" by wale.
Great kick. Sounds just like one of the stock kicks in FL Studio, actually - with a little extra processing. Wouldn't be surprising, either, considering Lex Luger produced it & is known for using FL.
📝 Reply