Quantcast
Piano best way to learn - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piano best way to learn
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Piano best way to learn

I have to progress and incoporate more instrumentation into my music via the piano (chords) For those who know how to play, is there a prefered software thats good or should I just take lesson. I pretty much produce in a multi timbral sense, but wanna learn how to PLAY like (ALicia Keys, Stevie Wonder) Will take some time but Im determined.. Your thoughts
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
I'd definitely take lessons.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
As a player I would definitely recommend lessons. This is not to say that you cannot learn on your own but learning the piano on your own is a very very difficult task. This is not to say that it can be done but with the plethora of information out there on piano practices it is very VERY easy to go down the wrong road and end up doing something that will ultimately hurt your piano playing. At least with a qualified teacher you will be doing things the right way. As for software there are few out there that help but ultimately your best bet would be going with a teacher. They will teach you so many subtle nuances about the piano that software won't. Things like transferring your feel and intent to your audience just from the sharpness and vigor or lack there of in the way you play will make your playing that much more pleasing to listen to and things your teacher will help you to achieve.

That being said please be realistic and realize that it will be a while before you are playing at a decent level. Make sure that it is something you really want to do because initially you may be bogged down with the pace you are going or with the information you are learning. I think it is also important to remember that the task of learning to incorporate your piano into your music will be on you. Initially your purpose will solely revolve around gaining the necessary skills to make your playing as good as it can be. For all intents and purposes your piano at this point will be your drums/guitars/vocalist/strings and everything else you may wish to incorporate in your music, which is why you should be cautious of your transition.

After a few years of diligent unrelenting practice you should be at a point where things start coming together. As to when this is, I will not say. That will only diminish your enthusiasm leading up to or shortly after that point depending on how well your practice is going. Just focus and letting your piano speak for you in as beautiful and as memorable a way as possible. I think your practice will be much more beneficial when you just focus on getting better as much as possible each day regardless of a specific time frame. Enjoy the journey.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check out the Piano With Willie website. It's not free but there are many great lessons there and I think you'll get a number of lessons to try out for free before you decide. I really liked it, whish I had the time to stick with it though ...
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➑️
Initially your purpose will solely revolve around gaining the necessary skills to make your playing as good as it can be. For all intents and purposes your piano at this point will be your drums/guitars/vocalist/strings and everything else you may wish to incorporate in your music, which is why you should be cautious of your transition.
I'm interested in what you mean here, can you please elaborate on it...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
When the question starts with "what's the best way to learn...." the answer is always "lessons."

Especially if time is a factor -- you'll make dramatically more progress in any given time period with someone to help you.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You could just teach yourself, but by taking lessons you'll learn the proper techniques that will make you better in the long run. And if you want to play like Alicia and Stevie you'll probably need to know those techniques. Things as simple as how to position your fingers while you play, which when done correctly allows you the easiest movement up/down the keyboard. It can lessen finger fatigue and the more complicated chord progessions simply may not be playable in the tempo you need to, unless you know the right way to use your fingers. You could learn it yourself too though by watching instructional videos. w/e works for you. Some ppl learn better by themselves, some need hands on instruction from someone else. My dad never took lessons and can play just as good as those players mentioned. And I'm sure there's lots of other great self taught musicians out there too.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict ➑️
I'm interested in what you mean here, can you please elaborate on it...
Well earlier the OP said he would love to incorporate more instrumentation into his music via piano. I am under the impression that what he means by this is that he is going to use this acquired knowledge and skills to make the instrumentation in his music better. If this is the case then he will be working with several instruments in the future if he is not doing so already in his compositions.

So what I was advising him was to beware of his transition because whether it is at the moment or in the future he will have a plethora of instruments to make his song complete. Whereas while he is learning the piano those set of 88 keys will be all he has to work with. They will constitute everything he is currently working with now and what he will work with in the future, that's why I said they will be his drums/strings/etc.

My reason for cautioning him on his transition was based on his intent, assuming I interpreted it correctly. He could end up going in one direction developing his instrumentation through implementation of a specific part of his acquired knowledge or he could going in another direction being a pianist with backing instruments. He will have to learn to change his vantage point from - piano, sole instrument and being able to fulfill his ideas wholly through it taking full advantage of any and every technique available to him to flesh out the idea to the piano being one instrument out of the many he will be using, the piano in the second scenario may or may not be as important as it was initially but now he would have to balance it along with whatever else he is playing. In addition some of techniques that were initially available to him at the piano will not be available to him using other melodic instruments for various drawbacks. He would have to make sure that he is playing each instrument within in it's natural context making sure that he transfers specific aspects of his skill set from piano while intentionally omitting others based on things such as voicings and things that are physically impossible on some instruments. For example he were using his piano knowledge to play trumpet instrument on a workstation he would be allowed to play arpeggios he could certainly not play any solid chords since brass instruments are incapable of playing polyphonic.
Old 17th September 2012
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Learn one key...
Transpose button...
???
Profit
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I once was gonna teach myself how to play the piano..but I dont know how to play the piano..i was a sh*tty teacher
Old 17th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Try this guy - you can learn pretty much by ear - although you will need some basic music theory: Piano Lessons - Play Piano By Ear
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Definitely get a teacher. A good teacher. Not only will you learn all the techniques and such but you'll also learn a good amount of theory.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb ➑️
Learn one key...
Transpose button...
???
Profit
lmaoo this is what I've done
I know a few scales by heart... but I mostly just use Fminor and transpose.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Go to the 'tube and search "learn to play piano". It will take some digging, but there are some channels available from some credible teachers who take the time to post alot of vids.

Time is your friend.

Peace.
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➑️
lmaoo this is what I've done
I know a few scales by heart... but I mostly just use Fminor and transpose.
If you're doing that, just use all the white keys, or all the black keys and 2 of the white keys....
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdot ➑️
If you're doing that, just use all the white keys, or all the black keys and 2 of the white keys....
that would be the same thing I'm doing already... but instead of F-minor it would be the A-minor scale.

I use F-minor cus I know that one by heart and my fingers are so used to that scale already.
Old 18th September 2012
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just play some black keys to make it look cool/kinda hard, then use the transpose button learn a bunch of diffrent songs, then from those songs you will know diffrent licks and stuff to pull out your ass when ever you play
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
words best order to put
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I will grab some lessons, knowing chords is my goal but if I become to mechanical I may opt to slow it down a bit...Thanks all for your input
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
For me,.. well ive been a guitar player for like 18 years now. Im completely self taught. Im def the kinda musician who if you just show me a little bit, an ill explore that technique or those chords till there's nothing left I cant do with them. Been exploring the piano/keyboard for last few years and basically the same way of learning applies.

I just get like Imagine by John Lennon, and explore the techniques used all over they keys. Then Ill take say a section of Bohemian Rhapsody and mess around with that. slow it down, build it up , move it around. I guess just finding anything that works and exploring it. Somehow or other in the end you start putting bits together and before you know it you can play ****. Its prob not the most comprehensive way of learning, but you develop a real feel for the thing.

sit down, learn a little bit of something, and mess around with it. That's basically how I go about it.
Old 19th September 2012 | Show parent
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddfodder ➑️
For me,.. well ive been a guitar player for like 18 years now. Im completely self taught. Im def the kinda musician who if you just show me a little bit, an ill explore that technique or those chords till there's nothing left I cant do with them. Been exploring the piano/keyboard for last few years and basically the same way of learning applies.

I just get like Imagine by John Lennon, and explore the techniques used all over they keys. Then Ill take say a section of Bohemian Rhapsody and mess around with that. slow it down, build it up , move it around. I guess just finding anything that works and exploring it. Somehow or other in the end you start putting bits together and before you know it you can play ****. Its prob not the most comprehensive way of learning, but you develop a real feel for the thing.

sit down, learn a little bit of something, and mess around with it. That's basically how I go about it.
This.

This is what I'm sayin I do but only in 4 keys plus the transpose button LOL
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

I can teach you via Skype or videos. I'll teach you music theory, how to read music, major/minor/dominant chords, major/minor scales and that'll be your first few lessons. You'll learn the foundation of it and be able to HEAR it and play in all 12 keys. I PROMISE that'll take your production and skills to the next level. I'm at [email protected]
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Thanks whitebeats! I may take you up on that, appreciate the suggestion..I would like to to learn more up and personal in the beginning stages however, but the theory behind it sounds intresting..
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchee ➑️
Thanks whitebeats! I may take you up on that, appreciate the suggestion..I would like to to learn more up and personal in the beginning stages however, but the theory behind it sounds intresting..
Cool mate totally understand that. Where you located?
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
But as with all things to become 'good' at something it takes time (lots of), strenght (lots of) and will (lots of). To me it seems you want to learn different things (chords -> music theory and ability to play piano like Wonder/ Keys) and you shouldn't confuse these things. Of course musical theory is more like a learning and understanding, so anyone can do that. But to be able to play piano well is definitely a practicing thing. Not to discourage you, but to play piano like Wonder/ Keys I would say an average person needs to study 5-7 years, unless you have no daytime job or are some sort of prodigy. Needless to say most people never reach that level of piano playing.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
When it comes to piano playing there is really no such thing as instant gratification!
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

It's all about what you put in. You reap what you sow. I started out on the organ at church in 2009 (still play). But I was youtubing everything. Got old quick and I didn't learn much.

I just started learning music theory, the cycles, keys, scales, intervals, and the foundation of it. Once you get the foundation of it....man that's it. I have a teacher and we link up every other week and I get trained with drills, theory, and the whole foundation.

I practice minimum 3-4 hours daily. I'm not working right now so why not?!? Plus beats will be there so I just work on my crafts and playing skills. But the main thing is PRACTICE! It's gonna be hard at first but once you get the foundation you're good. Most teachers teach you basic music theory, chords, etc but leave out the foundation. I've went through 5-6 teachers in 2 years and the one I have now is the ONLY one who started me off with the foundation followed by theory and how they work together.
Old 23rd September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by awhitebeats ➑️
It's all about what you put in. You reap what you sow. I started out on the organ at church in 2009 (still play). But I was youtubing everything. Got old quick and I didn't learn much.

I just started learning music theory, the cycles, keys, scales, intervals, and the foundation of it. Once you get the foundation of it....man that's it. I have a teacher and we link up every other week and I get trained with drills, theory, and the whole foundation.

I practice minimum 3-4 hours daily. I'm not working right now so why not?!? Plus beats will be there so I just work on my crafts and playing skills. But the main thing is PRACTICE! It's gonna be hard at first but once you get the foundation you're good. Most teachers teach you basic music theory, chords, etc but leave out the foundation. I've went through 5-6 teachers in 2 years and the one I have now is the ONLY one who started me off with the foundation followed by theory and how they work together.

Can you explain the bold bit a bit more.....I thought these would be the foundation.
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Here's my opinion as a professional pianist / keyboardist-

Definitely lessons. More specifically I'd get lessons from a live teacher and not over the internet with youtube or skype or anything.

Don't try to self teach yourself. Everyone I met who's self taught has gaps in their fundamental technique. In the long run it will work against you and hamper you from getting good as fast you should be able to.

Avoid those DVDs like Scott the Piano guy. Those things are a joke and he's doing a real disservice to people by cashing in on their desire to learn by teaching them a few things and letting them think they're learning. In reality he's painting you into a corner and it can really hamper your creativity and inhibit you. Besides, a DVD won't be able to listen to you and know what you need to work on and what's not essential. A DVD might teach to play "Superstition" after a few months but that's not going to teach you the fundamental technique of Stevie's playing, or how he managed to come up with that song and what function everything plays, both instrumentation / arrangement and harmony. That's what you want to be learning, especially if you want to focus on writing and adding more instrumentation to your music.

Make sure it's with a teacher who is physically present because you need someone who's watching you to correct your hands and your posture. Don't underestimate this. Aside from the more well known wrist problems, there's many long term problems you can develop in your upper back, shoulders, elbows, sciatic nerve, etc. This is the most important - it sounds dramatic but a good teacher who will show you the correct posture will save you in the long run to avoid problems like developing a pinched nerve in your shoulder that makes your thumbs numb. Problems from bad posture and bad technique could take a few years to develop, making you think you're fine but when it appears you're lucky if you can ever fix it or get rid of the pain. That's why learning to prevent injury from the beginning is so important.

I might even say to try to search out a piano teacher who might also make a living as a songwriter because they will know how to split the lesson between technique and working on songwriting.

Even if it's pricey and you can only afford it every other week or every three weeks, you'll get more out of a live teacher next to you every two weeks than you would watching youtube videos or learning over the internet every week or twice a week. If a teacher knows you're coming every other week, they should give you enough to work on.

Avoid the piano lesson factories - those schools that parents take their kids to after school that offer low cost lessons. Those are always staffed by musicians fresh out of music school who need to make money. They don't have sufficient real-world experience to help you develop in the direction you want.

Finding a good, local piano teacher is no small feat so don't be discouraged. You shouldn't expect to open the paper to the "help available" section and find one. Always interview them. Some advice would be to maybe find out who the long established musicians are in your neighborhood. Are there jazz players that have been around for 20 years? Maybe search them out at a gig. Another good source is a professional music school or the music department of your local college. Those are professional people and you can always find out who's teaching there simply by going to the department and asking who's on the piano faculty. You can approach them on the side and ask if they teach privately. Chances are they do and that will be the level you want to be taught from.

Good luck,
Frank
Old 23rd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-I-Addict ➑️
Can you explain the bold bit a bit more.....I thought these would be the foundation.
That's only part of it. The foundation is what EVERYTHING comes back to. And like buddy said above hand posture is important also. Which is apart of the foundation. With the FORMULA and CHART based off the foundation it will teach you EVERYTHING. It all works in a formula trust me.. A cycle is movement right? Music moves through movement as well. Chord progression is movement but how does it work? I'll start giving lessons now and you'll receive a chart which YOU will fill out with my help and that's where you start to see the "movement". I was amazed at how it all works. I have a very professional teacher who also mentors me with Logic, Pro Tools, and anything music related. I invest in my lessons. I pay up $100 every other week and its well worth it. The beginning stage is rough and a lot to learn but having all the chords, scales, and basically everything right in your face while practicing you can't beat it. I don't learn everything single thing from my teacher. I learn the basics and how it works. I learn everything else by know that stuff and PRACTICING.
πŸ“ Reply