Quantcast
Piano best way to learn - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Piano best way to learn
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Good thread!
I'm currently in the very initial stages of teaching myself piano and have been trying to decide best way forward. Im a guitarist and have played for around 25 years. I taught myself when I was 12 just learning songs from tab, then simply progressed as a player through jamming with my friends. I became obsessed, practiced for 5 hours a day during my teens and then got real good, playing in loads of bands. I started teaching and realised I knew no theory so was selling my pupils short. I applied and got accepted to the guitar institute in London and that changed everything. Learning the theory bridged all the gaps in my knowledge from learning by ear and made what I could already play "make sense". I found that my technique was wrong but by that point it was way too late to change my ways (had been playing every day for 8 years by then).
The thing is, I'm happy I did it this way - my sound and style developed because of the way I had learned and that gave me a fair degree of individuality. Most of the guys who I met at GI who had been taught the "right way" to play from the start all kinda sounded the same if I'm honest. I was so happy to now know what I was doing but in my own individual approach. To this day my finger picking technique, left hand placement ( I always use my left thumb) and approach to melody remain my own. I'm so glad I learned that way as will always feel organic rather than regulated.
I've been in two minds with piano though. I just want to be proficient enough to introduce piano into my solo recording efforts and to be able to play my favourite tunes for kicks. I don't love piano like I loved guitar at the start so think I'll probably never put in enough time on my own to get good. I'm thinking lessons would be the most effective way to get decent in a shorter time but it kind of annoys me as I love the whole adventure of working things out for yourself and then seeing what weird and wonderful way you develop that way. I'm finding hand technique a bitch as it feels so unnatural (my hands have held a guitar for 25 years), so think I'll take a few lessons to get the basics nailed then head off on my own direction when ready.
Good luck on your journey dude - It is so exciting knowing this is the start of a new adventure
Old 24th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
This is definitely good stuff..Whitehead I live in Bronx NY...Actually right down the block from Lehman College so the suggestion given in the previous thread may be spot on... I too just would like to be able to play my fav songs or atleast hearing it and challenging myself to find the keys/chords....Ive seen this happen with musicians playing and then all of a sudden they find the groove and it comes together.. I know it will take years of dedication, but Im willing to endure because its something I want to do...Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with a song and your head being able to get it out, without losing the creativeness stumbling over keys trying to find what matches the words.....Again these are great tips and I appreciate them all...
Old 7th March 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchee ➡️
This is definitely good stuff..Whitehead I live in Bronx NY...Actually right down the block from Lehman College so the suggestion given in the previous thread may be spot on... I too just would like to be able to play my fav songs or atleast hearing it and challenging myself to find the keys/chords....Ive seen this happen with musicians playing and then all of a sudden they find the groove and it comes together.. I know it will take years of dedication, but Im willing to endure because its something I want to do...Nothing like waking up in the middle of the night with a song and your head being able to get it out, without losing the creativeness stumbling over keys trying to find what matches the words.....Again these are great tips and I appreciate them all...
Hey just out of curiosity..how are you doing with the piano now?
📝 Reply