Quantcast
Funny Maschine story - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Funny Maschine story
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny Maschine story

I went over to one of my friends crib who I hadn't seen since 2007. he makes beats also and he uses a mpc 2000xl and a yamaha rs7000. I went over there so we could share our beats an whatnot. when I arrived one of his friends asked me what I used to produce with and I told him i use an asr-x, mpc 2000xl and reason 6, he goes "Nice!". So I play him a few beats from my macbook pro through itunes. The first few beats i played were either all done on my asr-x or done in reason and then sampled on my asr-x and tracked into pro tools. I forgot to mention to him that I used maschine for a few beats.

So, I play him a maschine beat and he immediately says this says" You did this in reason right"? I informed him that I used maschine for this beat not reason 6.
To make a long story short he proceeded to identify all 3 of my maschine beats from the ones done on the asr-x. Weird huh?
Old 15th September 2012
Hobbs_Won
And why do you think he could tell....??

Can't wait for this one.
Old 15th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won ➑️
And why do you think he could tell....??

Can't wait for this one.
Well since maschine sounds just like an asr -x and an mpc I have NO idea how you could tell.
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➑️
Well since maschine sounds just like an asr -x and an mpc I have NO idea how you could tell.
Yea, I'm sure that the reason has more to do with how you get around in one work environment compared to another...

But that's just my guess.....
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You might automatically gravitate toward more synths in Maschine. I have a friend who does that every time he picks up a mouse. I can pick the non MPC beat every time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrides ➑️
You might automatically gravitate toward more synths in Maschine. I have a friend who does that every time he picks up a mouse. I can pick the non MPC beat every time.
All chopped sampled stuff.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
post em so we can see if we can point them out too?
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Hardware rules!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDIMobster ➑️
post em so we can see if we can point them out too?

Which one is maschine? Or, are they both maschine?
Attached Files

Good Things Come Instrumental_01.mp3 (2.29 MB, 480 views)

Solution (1).mp3 (3.19 MB, 495 views)

Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I'm not sure wich one is witch but dope beats mane
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The two tracks are of such different caliber, its not a fair comparison if you ask me.
Originally I thought 1 was Maschine due to the drums souding like they had some type of bit reduction.
Then I heard the 2nd one and though.. okay this is some sort of trick.. lol. While the 2nd one seems not to have any overuse of bit reduction.. it is much more well orchestrated from a composition and mix standpoint.

Im going to say 1 is the MPC due to the mix not being as refined. Much easier to get a handle on teh mix elements using software, so people tend to do it as they go. However, those overly bitcrushed drums throw me off. One of the chop points in teh 2nd one is messing with me as well. Overall though the mix of the 1st one sounds more like quick basic 2track to DAW.

Its hard though to be honest, because I have to keep in perspective that you sample from your DAW into your hardware. The mix on #2 sounds a bit more balanced, so I would suspect that one was done in a DAW environment. Could be completely wrong and over analyzing things though.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
so easy the first track is maschine or reason and the 2nd track is asr-x or mpc

it just seems when u output from hardware certain harmonics seem to be present in the output signal during the d/a process which are not represented in software rending which add more impact to the sound this is specially noticable in the low end.

of course this could be my percpetion and thats not to say if u know what ur doing ur cant get the similar /same vibe in the box on ur softweare but many peeps tend to have a flatter sound in the software world.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeg ➑️
so easy the first track is maschine and the 2nd track is asr-x
Thats what my initial reaction was too. Then I started thinking...lol.
I went the opposite direction because I dont trust people hahahaha.
He could be messing with us. Something about 1 feels super basic and unrefined compared to 2. But I dont claim to be able to tell the difference between Maschine and anything, on a normal day. Generally dont care about that sort of thing. Just doing this for fun.
Old 15th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
going to chime in and say the first one is maschine and the second one the asr. The kick on the first one seems to have that attack that maschine sounds like once tracked out. Hard to pinpoint what it is but those that have one understand about the slightly different sound of drums once you export them. Will be interesting to hear which is which though.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd say that #1 is exported from software because it doesnt have the distortion that you can hear on the 2nd track...

hw samplers add distortion, that's it, add a touch of decapitator on your maschine beats and it will be a lot harder to notice a difference.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
1st is maschine.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I have a Maschine and think that thr second one is Maschine because of the timing.

Sent from my Desire HD
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
#2 sounds better than #1 but the differences could come from a lot of things like sounds sources and mixing.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
listen again: it doesnt sound "better", in fact beat #1 sound cleaner... #1 sound "muffled" vs the 2nd track but that's because of the added distortion that tends to excite the high frequencies, it's pretty noticeable on the HH and the snare.
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I meant better according to my taste, it's def distortion indeed.

But like you said, throw in decimator or some hardware treatment and you can get the same result as with a hardware sampler.
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
That first beat is dope as f$#$
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The first beat IS maschine. I originally did it on the Asr-x but the disk got corrupted so I had to redo it on maschine. I always thought that the maschine version sounded light, especially in the drums. The first beat is mixed and mastered, not by me though.

The second beat is straight off of the Asrx into pro tools , tracked out of course. No eq or on any of the instruments.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapstak ➑️
That first beat is dope as f$#$
Thank you sir.
Old 16th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've been lurking here for a month or so now and I've finally decided to sign up, so hi everyone. Those beats are sick, but as soon as I heard the second I preferred it. I think it comes down to how we are used to hearing this style of music. Lots of noise, and some compression/distortion all due to the usual production process of source > sampler > beat. Just that extra bit of colour a sampler or anologue mixer can add goes a long way.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Disclaimer: This maschine story wasn't funny.
Old 16th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchGeist ➑️
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchGeist ➑️
I know, I just wanted you to waste some of your life reading it.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
And I went against the grain and was totally wrong.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble ➑️
What was your initial thought?

Sent from my SPH-D710
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble ➑️
Dont feel bad man. I did too. The ish was so extra blatant, that I thought it was some type of trick. I never thought it would be that easy to pick. When I had maschine my issues were hardware based, so I never got around to really doing any critical listening. Hell, evern this time, I was listening on the stereo speakers in my LR lol.

People say that you wont be able to tell once it is mixed, mastered, and converted to mp3. I never had a strong opinion about that before. A friend of mine who recently got maschine, and also has an ASR-X, 2500, and a SP, was telling me the other day that to get things sounding good in maschine you really had to work with it / tweak things a lot more. I really didnt have a strong opinion about that either.

Not sure if this impacts whether or not I care about such things, but it was quite interesting to see the results.
Closed