Funny Maschine story - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Funny Maschine story
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➡️
What he means is the unmixed Maschine track is closer to the hardware sampler track..ie the mixing has pulled them further apart. Hearing both in their unmixed state, it would have been harder to tell.
Yes, I understood what he meant in that the unmixed version sounds closer to beat 2 which I made on the asr-x. The point I was trying to make is that if he had heard the same unmixed version done on the asr-x he would probably have heard a difference. I immediately heard a difference when i remade the beat on maschine but i was prepared to deal with it.

Quote:
Maybe the ASR version would have given a 50/50 split, maybe it wouldn't...we don't know!

But really, short of comparing 2 versions of the same track (and repeatably really) there's no fair test here. If you mate pulled out 3 tracks correctly as to how they were done, it's as likely that workflow influences your style as sound.
Back to the dude who picked out the 3 beats i did on maschine, The only one that was mixed and mastered was the one that i posted here. So yes the mixed version sounds different but it doesn't explain the other two maschine beats that the dude spotted. As far as workflow, I usually chop up a sample and add a bass be it maschine , asr-x or mpc.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I know reason and maschine sounded weak and horrible to me. However FL studio did not.

I made the same beats using the same samples on the same PC same sound card etc and FL studio sounds better.
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
if you're making beats on maschine sampling from vinyl, the sound quality basically has to do with you're sound cards converters. that being said there are other things like maschine's fx and filters which i find weak and straight up pale in comparison to the asr's mighty DP fx..
Thats a myth
Old 18th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketz ➡️
Maschine is a sampler and you can sample anything into it. It uses a hybrid approach of the computer CPU + dedicated hardware and the signal chain is no different than sampling external sources in any other in the box setup.

Maschine has a vintage sampling mode with very accurate modeling of the entire signal chain for SP1200 and MPC60 including converters and filters. It doesn't "emulate the distortion of an mpc" and it doesn't "just muddies the sound".
You are a YES man.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks ➡️
Thats a myth
Glad that's cleared that up then. Thank god you're here!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➡️
Yes, I understood what he meant in that the unmixed version sounds closer to beat 2 which I made on the asr-x. The point I was trying to make is that if he had heard the same unmixed version done on the asr-x he would probably have heard a difference. I immediately heard a difference when i remade the beat on maschine but i was prepared to deal with it.
I'm sure there would. Whether or not anyone would have been able to tell as definitely which was which is impossible to say now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondat ➡️
Back to the dude who picked out the 3 beats i did on maschine, The only one that was mixed and mastered was the one that i posted here. So yes the mixed version sounds different but it doesn't explain the other two maschine beats that the dude spotted. As far as workflow, I usually chop up a sample and add a bass be it maschine , asr-x or mpc.
Could be anything. Could be the "sound" of maschine, could be you unintentionally mix bass a bit higher with maschine, could be pan laws, could be lucky guesses
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Fair enough - although then you're not just comparing the production, but you're comparing the mix as well.
As with every song I listen to. I think you guys are just taking it a bit too seriously. This thread didnt even have songs to compare until one poster asked for them. Once the results came, people wanted to start making excuses as to why most people picked in one direction

I cant really say. I dont think anyone can. However, I will say that the mix and mastering did impact the sound of the song./ It sounds better unmixed. Does that mean I wouldnt have picked the same? No way to tell.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireworks ➡️
I know reason and maschine sounded weak and horrible to me. However FL studio did not.

I made the same beats using the same samples on the same PC same sound card etc and FL studio sounds better.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
What he means is the unmixed Maschine track is closer to the hardware sampler track..ie the mixing has pulled them further apart. Hearing both in their unmixed state, it would have been harder to tell.

Maybe the ASR version would have given a 50/50 split, maybe it wouldn't...we don't know!

But really, short of comparing 2 versions of the same track (and repeatably really) there's no fair test here. If you mate pulled out 3 tracks correctly as to how they were done, it's as likely that workflow influences your style as sound.
Honestly you dont need to do much to be able to tell the différence between a soundcard and a sampler...

take the soundcard of your choice, take any sampler from the 90ies, choose an external source, a clean one like a workstation, play a drum loop, sample it in the sampler and the soundcard, resample both sources in you computer via the converter of you choice and hear the difference.
Closed