Quantcast
Earth Loop Maybe? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Earth Loop Maybe?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Earth Loop Maybe?

Hi guys, I think I'm picking up an earth loop when recording (mainly UK grime/Hip-Hop on my Liquid Saffire 56 - As soon as I go above 6 on the dial to the point I can hear myself monitoring I get some form of feedback (the track is clean no effects etc).

As I add any sort of compression etc it just worsens.

It is copable as I can cut between it.. I have exhausted myself looking into this to the point where I feel I must re-wire the house or add some power conditioners to the studio (internal garage sound proofed off).

I have turned the likely culprits off, fridge, washer etc..

I have bought a ground loop isolator which seemed to make things worse from DTI?

ART DTI Dual Transformer & Ground Loop Isolator at Juno Records

Help please I'm going nuts over this.

Surely I shouldn't have to record without hearing myself monitored to avoid this as I'm then having to over compress to bring the signal up to a decent radio level.

I've attached a sound clip, please ingore the quality of the vocals as this is a clip i noticed it more so in when I was playing around with a lot of EQ.. On that light, I've even tried singling out FQ to no avail?

I'm still amauteur to all this so please enlighten me if I'm being dumb ;-/

Regards to the community, Jay.

Download Noise the studio is picking up.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I forgot to mention the cabling is just Maplins standard, I read a lot of conflicting views on cabling so I thought I would be ok with standard cables.

The mic that I use is the SE Gemini MKII (I already returned an ex-demo to SE who sent a spanking new one to me and I'm still getting this!)

I'm hoping its not a fault with the FLS56?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Is the noise only at 50hz?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Let me go check.. ;D
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

If its white noise, it might be a gain staging issue. If its at 50 (and maybe some harmonic multiples) its most certainly ground loop. Is this running off buss power or a power adapter?
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
No it wasn't mate.. However! I just went onto the saffire mix control and changed the Mix 1 from Analog input 1 to SPDIF Input 1 and it's solved it, I only get it at levels I would never record at now!

Your 50hz comment somehow sparked me doing that, not sure how.

Would 50hz have been TV signalm, I know it wasn't RF as it was the same tone throughout.. ?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

50Hz is the frequency of your AC in the UK. If you have a ground loop you will see mainly that frequency.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
the main socket in the garage is also wired to downstairs, then the main socket 1 has an adapter, main socket 2 is just the mic? does that sound right?

Anyways, I seem to have made it dissapear with switching to SPDIF even though I'm not using that connection? Boggled ;-/
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
So I should have just tested using the 50hz on an EQ right? If so that is what I did and it made a very very very slight difference..
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Can anybody explain this please? The sound is horrible! Is it the wiring of my house as I'm told we don't even have AC here?

When I lower certain Frequency it drops, does this clarify I'm picking up a Frequency I don't want to be picking up with my Gemini MK II as when I use the Rode NT1 It's only half as bad due to the sensitivity?

Why when I changed from Analog to SPDIF on the Saffire Mix Control that I'm not using did it disappear slightly? And why can I even record in this mode?
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
R u using a laptop pc?Ive had issues with the power supplies on those.
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

Unplug everything going into your interface except your microphone. Select the correct input on your interface (analogue not spdif)
Post a recording of what this sounds like?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Keep the headphones in as the only monitor right?
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ahh, do it clean and then see what it is sounding like, no problem.

And no, Desktop PC with an I7 and a 500w PSU, 8GB Corsair (can't remember specifics on proc or ram but it's a stable system and has been since I got it).

Could I be picking up the PSU Fan by any chance with how sensitive the SE Gemini is?
Old 16th September 2012
Lives for gear

I'm trying to understand the issue which is why it would be helpful to post a sample. Headphones is perfectly fine.
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Will drop back once I've had Sunday Dinner ;D
Old 16th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Download L1_15.wav from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

.wav - Everything as it should be, level on the 56 (6) with old tube and harmonics set to 0 .. Just the phones and the mic on the 56 (to be fair I only had one more mic in as a talkback).

Analog selected.

___

Any help on this would be highly appreciated I've put up with this for a year trying everything possible from turning off the fridge to making sure the mic wires aren't touched by any other wire but can run free..

I'm sure I've tried a fully balanced circuit (does that matter as I'm not 100% it was 'fully' balanced and I've just looked and the monitors are outputting in mono. Forgive me if that is totally ******** its late on a Sunday).

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&...=2144&bih=1044

How do you tell the be all end all difference between balanced and unbalanced XLR if it doesn't state it on the cable cover? ;-/ - Open it up?

Last edited by UpNorthSound; 16th September 2012 at 11:22 PM.. Reason: Update.
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Bad house wiring = hummmmm - My Les Paul Forums

Maybe it's deffo the wiring in the house? I've noticed it's not the best of cable in the most competent of wiring manner throughout although only 12 years old.

I don't want to wire the house if it isn't it though, what are those power conditioners actually doing as I've read in the past it's not going to solve anything if the power to the conditioner is passing something through that isn't grounded (which could be one of a hundred electrical devices?
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Bump? :(
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Please can somebody help me? Is it RF?? ;-/
Old 17th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Ok so it seems the Gemini was faulty, just tried my Rode NT1 with everything out and the sound is clean! DAMN 'SE'!
πŸ“ Reply