Quantcast
SP-1200 Swing - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SP-1200 Swing
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i don't refute math but as i've told you before there are too many variables to have a simple math equation give a definite answer: you're pov is just a theory, not that it really matters to a point of getting aggressive and calling names. if you have nothing more constructive to add on the subject let's just leave it at that
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
i don't refute math but as i've told you before there are too many variables to have a simple math equation give a definite answer: you're pov is just a theory, not that it really matters to a point of getting aggressive and calling names. if you have nothing more constructive to add on the subject let's just leave it at that
It is not a theory. When you get the response from E-Mu engineers that odd notes are not shifted, do not forget to post here that you were wrong. I alreday have posted actual data and been more constructive than you.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
sure thing..i've got no problem admitting when i'm wrong, thing is i've never made any claims here just been raising questions and making deductions.. i've got no ego interest (as opposed to you) i'm just curious about the subject..
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
sure thing..i've got no problem admitting when i'm wrong, thing is i've never made any claims here just been raising questions and making deductions.. i've got no ego interest (as opposed to you) i'm just curious about the subject..
You seem to have this problem as you are protecting your wrong position since the start of the thread failing to shelve out any contr-arguments to the clarifications (with arithmetics and actual measurments involved) that your hypothesis "low 24 PPQ is what's behind SP1200 swing" "double timing blabla". Double-timing is just to be able to apply swing to 16ths. You have your SP but seem to have failed even read the manual and get what is stated there. You have been suggested to check the note positions for and by yourself - 20 mins of time spent, knowledge gained for the lifetime - you have escaped into making jokes and behind the "i don't care" ignorant attitude. That is your problem, mane, not mine.
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i have no problem, all i was interested in was the subject matter until you decided to make it personal. what puzzles me is i fail to understand your motivation in this thread (considering you don't even own an SP) other then poor communication skills added to strong insecurity probably due to the fact you are a lonely and frustrated individual in dire need of online recognition. but enough psycho-analysis and back to the subject that enamores you so vividly. you seem hell bent on proving me wrong that low ppq has anything to do with the SP's swing. yet you've just said it yourself, the 24ppq only swings 8th's. the low ppq gives a coarse swing. no? that's all i'm saying. you've assessed that the added jitter is what makes the SP swing unique, i'm not saying it doesn't, i just put forward there could always be a different swing pattern algo used... maybe, maybe not, only e-mu know... what else is there to say?
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
poor communication skills added to strong insecurity probably due to the fact you are a lonely and frustrated individual in dire need of online recognition.
Brilliant, just brilliant! How a need in recognition makes one insecure? Once again my ignorant man is showing the depths of his reversed logic (the cause and the casualty are reversed)! You know, you have got some style!
On the subject: no, low PPQ does not mean coarser swing. Moving an 8th note by 1/3 (67% swing) of its length is actually the same at any PPQ, be it 16 ticks at 96 PPQ or 4 ticks at 24 PPQ. The higher PPQ just allows using of additional swing values simply UNAVAILABLE at lower PPQ. Provided the actual tempo is the same in devices under test (120 BPM IS 120 BPM and not 119.234) and their PPQ resoulton is N-fold to each other (24, 48, 96), identical swing settings in % will be actually the same. Simple note position test via writing down the numbes and comparing will prove it.
All observed real-time playback difference is due to the immanent midi jitter, which cannot be repoduced.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAH ➡️
Brilliant, just brilliant! How a need in recognition makes one insecure? Once again my ignorant man is showing the depths of his reversed logic (the cause and the casualty are reversed)! You know, you have got some style!
thanks but if you found that confusing i suggest you turn off automatic translation or pick up a dictionary.. but speaking of flawed logic..

Quote:
the coarsity of 24 PPQs and the resulted limitations of the settings still can be easily reproduced in any higher PPQ sequencer
Quote:
On the subject: no, low PPQ does not mean coarser swing. Moving an 8th note by 1/3 (67% swing) of its length is actually the same at any PPQ, be it 16 ticks at 96 PPQ or 4 ticks at 24 PPQ. The higher PPQ just allows using of additional swing values simply UNAVAILABLE at lower PPQ.
so one second you admit there is a coarseness to 24ppq, then you say there isn't, then again you admit high ppq allows additional swing values unavailable at lower ppq. which one is it chief? even better:

Quote:
As to re-create the settings - just use the coefficients in higher PPQ seqencers.
For 96 PPQ it will be 4.
So every even note's start instead of at 48 ticks must be at:
54 % - 13*4=52
58 - 14*4=56
63 - 15*4=60
67 - 16*4=64
71 - 17*4=68
Quote:
Provided the actual tempo is the same in devices under test (120 BPM IS 120 BPM and not 119.234) and their PPQ resoulton is N-fold to each other (24, 48, 96), identical swing settings in % will be actually the same.
Old 18th September 2012
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It means that 54, 58, 63, 67 and 71% swing at 24 PPQ is the same as those at 96 PPQ if we talk hearing audio events in a beat. The same pattern played with the same sounds at the same BPM sounds the same. "-Oh, I hear the difference in feel!" "That's different actual tempo and\or jitter". Period.
I do not know how you still cannot get it. You telling me to pick up a dictionary? This makes me recall an old saying: "Yeah, grandsonny, go ahead, teach me your grannie how to make babies"
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Completely a sidenote here, but just saying that i think a beat made by the two of you would have the tightest, most discussed, calculated and theoretically planned groove
📝 Reply