Quantcast
Boost Wide, Cut Narrow? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Boost Wide, Cut Narrow?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Boost Wide, Cut Narrow?

yo, Ive been reading alot of eq threads on the net.

A few of them have said cut narrow and boost wide.

Is this something to take into consideration when eq'ing?

If so, that will mean ill have to use more than 1 narrow cut on each instrument.
is it bad to use alot of cuts?

thanks.
peace.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
There are a lot of "rules" out there aren't there? For every "rule" you run into, you'll run into a situation where breaking the "rule" fixes your mix! I'll just say that when you are using eq, be sure to constantly reference what you're doing in the context of the whole mix (don't get "solo-itis"). So, to answer your questions, 1. yes, if it serves the mix 2. no, if it serves the mix. Good luck!
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boost narrow at 12k. Then boost wide at 12k.

Cut narrow at 1.2k. Then cut wide at 1.2k.

This is why.

It's a good rule of thumb. It is something you should understand so that you can use eq adeptly. Once you understand the rule: By all means, feel free to break it.
Old 12th September 2012
DAH
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
You asking this means you have not yet got it with your ears. Just keep justifying for yourself whether this is right.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Doesn't even matter if your mixing on cheap headphones. Everything you do is gonna be wrong if your monitoring never translates.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Generally speaking I am almost always boosting or cutting with wide Qs. The only time I use a narrow Q is when I'm trying to do surgery, for example there happens to be a ringing resonant frequency in a snare drum or something, or when I'm trying to do an effect like a walkie-talkie sound or something. Wider Qs tend to sound more musical than narrow ones so unless you need to perform surgery on something, wider is typically better. That said, you can't go crazy wide or you start affecting frequencies you don't want to affect.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
don't believe anything anyone says about this ****. it's nonsense. there are no proper rules that you should always follow. EQ your **** in whatever way it takes to achieve the sound you want. all that matters is how it sounds in the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bligsbeats ➑️
yo, Ive been reading alot of eq threads on the net.

A few of them have said cut narrow and boost wide.

Is this something to take into consideration when eq'ing?

If so, that will mean ill have to use more than 1 narrow cut on each instrument.
is it bad to use alot of cuts?

thanks.
peace.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Everybody is right but just remember that higher frequencies are perceived louder than lower ones.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Boost narrow to find the annoying frequencies to cut and cut them narrow ever sounds best in the context of the mix. I usually cut and boost pretty wide. Like Chris said, its usually more musical.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

There are no rules. You do what ever is needed. If a wide cut is needed to make the song or instrument track sound better, then that is what you do.

There are no rules for Q settings and effect settings as each situation is different
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mastering ➑️
There are no rules. You do what ever is needed. If a wide cut is needed to make the song or instrument track sound better, then that is what you do.

There are no rules for Q settings and effect settings as each situation is different
Absolutely! But boosting quite narrow usually leads to more artifacts or resonance. At least when it's a decent amount of boost.. No?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I never realised, but now that you've mentioned it, it's how I EQ most of the times. However, I do boost narrow (mostly on kick) and cut wide (mostly on busses, but not really a rule of thumb).
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are certainly cases where narrow boosts and wide cuts are applicable.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Is this a rule? or a common occurrence? Seems like the later .... by how many db? and where? what Q settings? It seems like the answer is that it is all circumstantial ....
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely! But boosting quite narrow usually leads to more artifacts or resonance. At least when it's a decent amount of boost.. No?
It depends. Maybe that frequncy is so low in that narrow range that a narroow boost is needed and maybe that is the sound that the song needs or that track needs. Every situation is different. You just do what ever is needed for that track
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If one Learns how to use the tools, one will Know how wide of a Q to use and when.

Peace.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…