Quantcast
Which Nexus 2 expansions to buy for making trap beats? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which Nexus 2 expansions to buy for making trap beats?
Old 12th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Which Nexus 2 expansions to buy for making trap beats?

hi fellow members, i have a question... i want to make some trap music and a lot of the nexus expansions have a lot of useful sounds for this genre. now i have bought the original nexus 2 for mac a couple of months ago and now i'm about to buy 30 expansion packs from them. i would like to know from yall which expansions would be best for making this trap and or newskool rap music like this vid:

Cardiak x The Making of Er Day - YouTube

This guy also show you which expansions he uses and i would like to know which expansions to buy more for making trap.. hope you guys have a lot of suggestions since i want to buy 30 expansions.

thanks and peace from Amsterdam
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Cardiak is always using Hollywood expansion. He has a video going over each preset he used for that meek mill track
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If u google nexus trap expansion somebody made one...Its only 15 dollars. It has a bunch of useful plucks, hits, and arps...the brass in it is cheesy but the hollywood brass preset works good for low octave stuff.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Honestly you can probly slide by with any nexus expansion for trap music. I even use alot of the presets in the dance sets for trap beats.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Two kinds of producers -

Those that want to know what other producers are using.
Those that want to know what other producers are not using.

Innovate or emulate?
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➑️
Two kinds of producers -

Innovate or emulate?
priceless words
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Two kinds of producers -

Innovate or emulate?
some emulate to learn which then leads to innovation
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
You want the johnny juliano pack
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydoo ➑️
some emulate to learn which then leads to innovation
People take this for granted so much...In the arts we always learn from the works of other artists first before we can really tackle the concept of innovation.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Two kinds of producers -

Innovate or emulate?
Both.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F Major ➑️
People take this for granted so much...In the arts we always learn from the works of other artists first before we can really tackle the concept of innovation.
word. The more you understand, the easier it is for you to express those ideas in your head. Emulation or even copying is a way to learn. Most of those things you can't learn from classes or books. And not everyone is fortunate enough to have mentors.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't take what I'm saying out of context. There's nothing wrong with emulating what you like based on how you hear it. But falling into convention by doing "what's best for this", relying on things that have already worked is working toward doing anything new. It's working toward doing things that have already been done.

I just recently talked to some cutting edge Hip Hop producers who specifically said they're not using Nexus anymore. It's already done for them. Played out. Not to say you can't do something fresh with something old.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Now everyone is just using sylenth instead.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Don't take what I'm saying out of context. There's nothing wrong with emulating what you like based on how you hear it. But falling into convention by doing "what's best for this", relying on things that have already worked is working toward doing anything new. It's working toward doing things that have already been done.

I just recently talked to some cutting edge Hip Hop producers who specifically said they're not using Nexus anymore. It's already done for them. Played out. Not to say you can't do something fresh with something old.
gotcha.

2 types of producers imo.
1) trend followers
2) artists

As for OT.
Instead of spending money on expansion sample packs, why not get a competent synth vst and a few fx vst's. You can almost make any sound you want once you learn the in's and out's of your tools. With those, you could end up making fresh sounds.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
why?

Quote:
Two kinds of producers -

Innovate or emulate?
with all due respect sir i don't understand these kinda comments. i don't want to emulate, it's not like i'm going to make RE-makes or something, i want to know which ones he has, that is a good starting point to start listening to those 50+ demos refx is offering. i just really like trap music and i notice a lot of those tracks have similar sounds in common. now what would be better to have those same sounds and be able to twist it to my own needs. there's nothing wrong with that right? what if i would ask which expansions to buy for omnisphere, i bet people wouldn't react this way. sorry, in no way i'm trying to offend someone, but didn't you wanna know what for example pete rock used back in the early 90's? didn't u want that same piece of equipment back then? would you react in the same way? i really strongly believe you would not. it's just nobody takes this plugin serious AND the music genre itself, but still 'everybody' listen to it. funny right? i'm not going to copy nobody's style, i can do MY thing with those sounds, right? sorry but i really have to name another example, like what if i use a piano in my arrangement? and let's say i used it in my track because someone else also did that.. then what? i'm just emulating then right?

i'm not (not yet, i'm learning how to) the type to be creating my 'own unique' unique sounds from scratch, i like the what nexus offers me, solid sounds and it let's me work real quick, nothing of the creative vibe get's lost in BS stuff, i like to focus on music, find a patch i like and tweak it some, finito.

all i asked was a couple of suggestions for official expansions that would be useful in trap/newskool rap music, suggestions man. so i could think YOUR opinion over and make my own choice...

now..

do you have some suggestions? and again, i'm not looking to troll.

greetings from amsterdam!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightstar ➑️
You want the johnny juliano pack
no i'll pass on that, i don't like those kinda 'soundclick producer' packs, heard a couple of sylenth1 packs and they were straight awful man... thanks for commenting anyway! p's
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I only read your first post and immediately replied, sorry for that!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpydoo ➑️
As for OT.
Instead of spending money on expansion sample packs, why not get a competent synth vst and a few fx vst's. You can almost make any sound you want once you learn the in's and out's of your tools. With those, you could end up making fresh sounds.
i make my own patches with omnisphere's waveforms, its really cool, i just really like nexus' sound too and want to expand my pallette of sounds. and to HELP me make my OWN decision i asked for some suggestions for expansions that would fit trap/newskool rap that's about it. i have omnisphere and sylenth and i frequently use it, but nexus is a classic in my eyes and some of it's sounds are classic for new skool rap too IMO... so, thanks for replying i guess... peace yo!
Old 13th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years

by the way what do you think of this concept? i don;t usually sample, but i tried it the other day and this came out
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi Jay ➑️
i make my own patches with omnisphere's waveforms, its really cool, i just really like nexus' sound too and want to expand my pallette of sounds. and to HELP me make my OWN decision i asked for some suggestions for expansions that would fit trap/newskool rap that's about it. i have omnisphere and sylenth and i frequently use it, but nexus is a classic in my eyes and some of it's sounds are classic for new skool rap too IMO... so, thanks for replying i guess... peace yo!
isn't being classic and new skool being hypocritical?
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
:(
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Two kinds of producers -

Innovate or emulate?
Logic dictates that you need to be the former in order to become the later.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Two kinds of producers -

Innovate or emulate?
Great post.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
with all due respect sir i don't understand these kinda comments. i don't want to emulate, it's not like i'm going to make RE-makes or something, i want to know which ones he has, that is a good starting point to start listening to those 50+ demos refx is offering. i just really like trap music and i notice a lot of those tracks have similar sounds in common. now what would be better to have those same sounds and be able to twist it to my own needs. there's nothing wrong with that right? what if i would ask which expansions to buy for omnisphere, i bet people wouldn't react this way. sorry, in no way i'm trying to offend someone, but didn't you wanna know what for example pete rock used back in the early 90's? didn't u want that same piece of equipment back then? would you react in the same way? i really strongly believe you would not. it's just nobody takes this plugin serious AND the music genre itself, but still 'everybody' listen to it. funny right? i'm not going to copy nobody's style, i can do MY thing with those sounds, right? sorry but i really have to name another example, like what if i use a piano in my arrangement? and let's say i used it in my track because someone else also did that.. then what? i'm just emulating then right?

i'm not (not yet, i'm learning how to) the type to be creating my 'own unique' unique sounds from scratch, i like the what nexus offers me, solid sounds and it let's me work real quick, nothing of the creative vibe get's lost in BS stuff, i like to focus on music, find a patch i like and tweak it some, finito.

all i asked was a couple of suggestions for official expansions that would be useful in trap/newskool rap music, suggestions man. so i could think YOUR opinion over and make my own choice...

now..

do you have some suggestions? and again, i'm not looking to troll.

greetings from amsterdam!

I dig it. I know it comes across as some arrogant ****. But I'm a few steps ahead here.

Up at Sony a couple months back in meeting with some A&R's they specifically said they were hitting the stop button hard on trap music. Because it all sounded too similar.

Now, you're right, there have been a few occasions where I wanted to know what someone was using and use it for similar purposes. So I suppose I could just let you in on the expansion packs people have used - it's not exactly top secret information.

But understand that what I have said to this point is far more valuable, even if it seems obvious and arrogant. Because the reality is you can make, and should make, trap music (or any form of music), with whatever you want. And by NOT using the same thing other people have used time and time again you'll come up with something new.

The X-Analog pack, and Hollywood pack are good bets.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I second that anr's are pressing stop for trap beats. They are dead for the most part unless u are mike will or sonny digital or wakas producers. They are looking for southern beats that dont sound like trap.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Do you guys think the hollywood pack could replace something like mirislav philharmonic?
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I dig it. I know it comes across as some arrogant ****. But I'm a few steps ahead here.

Up at Sony a couple months back in meeting with some A&R's they specifically said they were hitting the stop button hard on trap music. Because it all sounded too similar.

Now, you're right, there have been a few occasions where I wanted to know what someone was using and use it for similar purposes. So I suppose I could just let you in on the expansion packs people have used - it's not exactly top secret information.

But understand that what I have said to this point is far more valuable, even if it seems obvious and arrogant. Because the reality is you can make, and should make, trap music (or any form of music), with whatever you want. And by NOT using the same thing other people have used time and time again you'll come up with something new.

The X-Analog pack, and Hollywood pack are good bets.
Thanks for taking the time to pull this straight with me, I understand you and you somewhat understand me. That's cool yo! Anyway I don't really understand this.. how are they going to stop this music when it is such an easy way to make lots of money for those labels too? People aren't complaining, I mean everyone noticed it's all somewhat the same, but still, I don't see people around me losing interest. Maybe I'm completely wrong as I'm talking about the state of this music over here in Holland. Maybe in the states everybody thinks it's already played out and if so.. thanks for the heads up.

It don't really bother me, I have never maked this 'stereotypical trap', because i like mixing chill thingies with trap influences. I wanna hear ambient **** with those 808's and crazy hihats, smoke some and zone out. ambient deep trap or whatever haha... That's what i like.

Anyway I bought 30 expansions and I'm really happy with them.

Thanks for all your replies!
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
But we all use it differently right? Anyway, let's do it your way.
Say I want to recreate that 'signature' (trap)brass from nexus.. can you help me do that? it doesn't sound natural at all, I have no idea how to recreate this.

I have access to Omnisphere, Sylenth1, Philharmonik and some more... I also have access to most widely used FX plugins from too many brands.

So... let's get started heh

(that's if you want to explain)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
But we all use it differently right? Anyway, let's do it your way.
Say I want to recreate that 'signature' (trap)brass from nexus.. can you help me do that? it doesn't sound natural at all, I have no idea how to recreate this.

I have access to Omnisphere, Sylenth1, Philharmonik and some more... I also have access to most widely used FX plugins from too many brands.

So... let's get started heh

(that's if you want to explain)
there's probably hundreds of tutorials for that kind of brass on YouTube. I don't think anyone is actually sound designing it though, they're usually layering synth presets\samples. Layering some brass from nexus/kontakt library with synth noise of your choosing, can get some cool results.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
No single preset will get you that trap brass, its a process of layering...Use a trumpet group, a brass or orchestral hit group, and a synth brass full section and you'll be pretty close
πŸ“ Reply