Quantcast
Which Nexus 2 expansions to buy for making trap beats? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which Nexus 2 expansions to buy for making trap beats?
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ exactly
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years

People who tell other people to "be original and don't use what other people are using" make no sense.

I guess be original and don't use piano, don't use guitars, don't use drums, use ****ing tweezers and cologne to make beats. Use dildos and USB chords.

By this logic, nobody would be buying Rolands, Korgs, Yahamas, or any other device that has been created for the purpose of making music.

I guess I'll just turn my monitor sideways and play the keyboard with my feet so I can feel original.

It's funny how it's always the guys with the "oldschool" beats that always tell younger guys to be original, yet they're stuck in 1995.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azamat Bagatov ➑️

People who tell other people to "be original and don't use what other people are using" make no sense.

I guess be original and don't use piano, don't use guitars, don't use drums, use ****ing tweezers and cologne to make beats. Use dildos and USB chords.

By this logic, nobody would be buying Rolands, Korgs, Yahamas, or any other device that has been created for the purpose of making music.

I guess I'll just turn my monitor sideways and play the keyboard with my feet so I can feel original.

It's funny how it's always the guys with the "oldschool" beats that always tell younger guys to be original, yet they're stuck in 1995.

Again, don't take what I'm saying further than what I'm saying. What I AM saying is if everyone is using Nexus to make trap beats - try using something else to see what different results you can get. And by extension that translates to other genres. It's not that the tools change - its that the use changes. People tend not to use the Nexus drum packs - so maybe try that. Use an acoustic piano for Death Metal. Try that.

Look man, I work with some pretty well established guys. I know Cardiak, I've worked with Sonny Digital a number of times, I've talked to these guys and they all say the same thing. Find your own way of doing things. And if I'm mixing their records I'm not trying to do something someone else is doing - I'm trying to work toward my own aesthetic. Mixing sometimes requires a little more convention than producing, but even on that level I'm doing things in different ways.

And I don't think the OP isn't doing his own thing - but the topic led with "I want to know what other people are doing". Something I see in a lot of topics on GS.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi Jay ➑️
Thanks for taking the time to pull this straight with me, I understand you and you somewhat understand me. That's cool yo! Anyway I don't really understand this.. how are they going to stop this music when it is such an easy way to make lots of money for those labels too? People aren't complaining, I mean everyone noticed it's all somewhat the same, but still, I don't see people around me losing interest. Maybe I'm completely wrong as I'm talking about the state of this music over here in Holland. Maybe in the states everybody thinks it's already played out and if so.. thanks for the heads up.

It don't really bother me, I have never maked this 'stereotypical trap', because i like mixing chill thingies with trap influences. I wanna hear ambient **** with those 808's and crazy hihats, smoke some and zone out. ambient deep trap or whatever haha... That's what i like.

Anyway I bought 30 expansions and I'm really happy with them.

Thanks for all your replies!

Yeah man, not trying to shoot you down. I honestly don't understand the inner workings of A&Rs and why they do what they do. If I did, I might be doing more than mixing and producing records.

In regards to programming Nexus, I really don't know. I mainly mix - and I produce in the old school definition - directing the outcome of the project, facilitating the creation. I don't really program or make beats except once in a blue moon. But I don't really dig the Nexus brass sound, it always sounds early-soft-synth cheesy. Maybe cool in like a 90s reggae records, or techno tune, but not much outside of that. Those kind of cheesy brass sounds do make for a cool layer with more realistic brass though. Someone mentioned Miroslav - that or Sampletank might yield better brass sounds overall. Or experiment.
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Thanks for all the suggestions on which expansions to buy. this is my definitive list and i bought them all yesterday!

1 - Nexus2 Expansion: House Vol.1
2 - Nexus2 Expansion: Dance Vol.1
3 - Nexus2 Expansion: Dance Orchestra
4 - Nexus2 Expansion: Analog
5 - Nexus2 Expansion: Bigtone Signature 1
6 - Nexus2 Expansion: Dance Vol.3
7 - Nexus2 Expansion: Omicron
8 - Nexus2 Expansion: Vocoder
9 - Nexus2 Expansion: Bigtone Signature 3
10 - Nexus2 Expansion: Omicron 2
11 - Nexus2 Expansion: FM
12 - Nexus2 Expansion: Future Arps
13 - Nexus2 Expansion: Hollywood
14 - Nexus2 Expansion: Dubstep-Electro Vol.1
15 - Nexus2 Expansion: Trance Leads
16 - Nexus2 Expansion: 7 Skies Trance
17 - Nexus2 Expansion: Bigtone Signature 2
18 - Nexus2 Expansion: Omicron 3
19 - Nexus2 Expansion: Kamui 2
20 - Nexus2 Expansion: Classic Trance
21 - Nexus2 Expansion: HandsUp Leads Vol. 1
22 - Nexus2 Expansion: Stratosphere 2
23 - Nexus2 Expansion: Kamui
24 - Nexus2 Expansion: Crank 2
25 - Nexus2 Expansion: SID
26 - Nexus2 Expansion: Guitars
27 - Nexus2 Expansion: Store'n'Forward
28 - Nexus2 Expansion: Hardstyle
29 - Nexus2 Expansion: Trance Elements
30 - Nexus2 Expansion: Dark Planet
31 - Nexus2 Expansion: Millennium Pop 2

I'm so happy!
Old 15th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
had the nexus 2 for about two years now, i bought like 8-9 expansion packs so far.

It's a dope rompler but it seems like everyone uses it now a days
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➑️
I dig it. I know it comes across as some arrogant ****. But I'm a few steps ahead here.

Up at Sony a couple months back in meeting with some A&R's they specifically said they were hitting the stop button hard on trap music. Because it all sounded too similar.

Now, you're right, there have been a few occasions where I wanted to know what someone was using and use it for similar purposes. So I suppose I could just let you in on the expansion packs people have used - it's not exactly top secret information.

But understand that what I have said to this point is far more valuable, even if it seems obvious and arrogant. Because the reality is you can make, and should make, trap music (or any form of music), with whatever you want. And by NOT using the same thing other people have used time and time again you'll come up with something new.

The X-Analog pack, and Hollywood pack are good bets.

Looks like sony didnt hit that button hard enough lol
Old 20th March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rdyd ➑️
I was just about to say this lol. I don't hear any decrease in trap. Only increase .
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
been using the nexus 2 for a minute now. i bought it along with 8 other expansion packs. Seems like there are a ton of sounds/arps/synths that i've yet to hear in beats mainly b/c most of the users of this rompler get it illegally and not all of the expansions packs have been cracked
Old 21st March 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS ➑️
been using the nexus 2 for a minute now. i bought it along with 8 other expansion packs. Seems like there are a ton of sounds/arps/synths that i've yet to hear in beats mainly b/c most of the users of this rompler get it illegally and not all of the expansions packs have been cracked

I need to check out the expansions myself, I've heard good things about them but have yet to hear them in action. Any good videos previews of the sounds? I'm going to get some nexus expansions or some Sylenth1 patches
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRPS ➑️
Something that hasn't been cracked?

Companies need to focus more on preventing their software from getting cracked. Maybe the market will be less saturated with the same **** all over.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraha ➑️

Companies need to focus more on preventing their software from getting cracked. Maybe the market will be less saturated with the same **** all over.
A wise man once said nothing is "unhackable"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moraha ➑️

i would be naive to think that something hasn't been cracked but it seems like the pirated copies floating around concentrate on the similar packs. Of course anything can be cracked
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Depends on what sounds you would lile to get for your Trap beats. The basic sounds that come with nexus are already great for trap. Expansions can might be the JJ set, which I personally don't fancy that much.
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
i love how people say you shouldn't try to sound like anyone and your not a real musician if you do, then they turn around and samples someone elses music to make their beats.........not pointing fingers just sayin
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi Jay ➑️
Thanks for taking the time to pull this straight with me, I understand you and you somewhat understand me. That's cool yo! Anyway I don't really understand this.. how are they going to stop this music when it is such an easy way to make lots of money for those labels too? People aren't complaining, I mean everyone noticed it's all somewhat the same, but still, I don't see people around me losing interest. Maybe I'm completely wrong as I'm talking about the state of this music over here in Holland. Maybe in the states everybody thinks it's already played out and if so.. thanks for the heads up.

It don't really bother me, I have never maked this 'stereotypical trap', because i like mixing chill thingies with trap influences. I wanna hear ambient **** with those 808's and crazy hihats, smoke some and zone out. ambient deep trap or whatever haha... That's what i like.

Anyway I bought 30 expansions and I'm really happy with them.

Thanks for all your replies!
I think record companies like to be on the cutting edge of what's hot. Trap is nice but it has been out for at least since 2005 (arguably longer). That's an eight year run.

But yeah it is cool to use some of the trap elements in your original stuff.
Old 24th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rdyd ➑️
I really had a chuckle when dude wrote that as well. "It all sounded too similar", doesn't everything? All country sounds the same to me...oh and opera...and jazz...and...classical....and...
πŸ“ Reply