Quantcast
IK's Total Workstation 2 vs. Kontakt 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK's Total Workstation 2 vs. Kontakt 5
Old 11th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
IK's Total Workstation 2 vs. Kontakt 5

What's going on guys, I've just started making beats and I'm looking for a VST to purchase. I have a Mac running Logic and I'm looking for a VST to add more sounds. I've found a good price for the Total Workstation 2 bundle and it includes the Miroslav Philharmonik plugin that I like, however I keep hearing how IK's sounds are not that good. I don't have a lot of money either so the Total Workstation 2 bundle would be great. But i keep hearing that Kontakt 5 is amazing, so I was wondering should I save my money and try to get Kontakt 5 or go ahead and buy Total Workstation 2 bundle?

Thanks I appreciate it!!!
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblount6192 ➡️
What's going on guys, I've just started making beats and I'm looking for a VST to purchase. I have a Mac running Logic and I'm looking for a VST to add more sounds. I've found a good price for the Total Workstation 2 bundle and it includes the Miroslav Philharmonik plugin that I like, however I keep hearing how IK's sounds are not that good. I don't have a lot of money either so the Total Workstation 2 bundle would be great. But i keep hearing that Kontakt 5 is amazing, so I was wondering should I save my money and try to get Kontakt 5 or go ahead and buy Total Workstation 2 bundle?

Sonically what exactly are you looking for?
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Like some fat synth sounds and basses that work well for hip hop, as well as some strings and good sounding basic instruments, such as piano and electric piano and organ. Also some nice synths pads.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Strangley enough i was just writing about Kontakt in another thread.

Ive delt with IK a few ties and tried a fair bit of there stuff. It's just my opinion but i had dealings with there support cos some software i bought didn't install. There basically the worst support ive dealt with. Never got a solution and they dont give a damn, The quality of their sound, i reckon, is a bit disappointing. There interfaces are awful and look ugly. Ive decided to never go with them on any product again.

Kontakt, i reckon is really cool. you gotta get into it. But its a damn good bit of kit. Kontakt 5 is slick, it loads fast, it just works. so yea if it were me go with native. some of the sounds are top draw. And as you build a library it just gewts better and better. Loads of 3rd party developers cater for it , and with some of the best Sample based instruments you can get.

Eleanor Rigby with LA Scoring Strings First Chair - YouTube

(Made with kontakt)
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Like some fat synth sounds and basses that work well for hip hop, as well as some strings and good sounding basic instruments, such as piano and electric piano and organ. Also some nice synths pads.
Well from personal experience I can tell you as far as samplers go Kontakt 5 is just about as good as it gets. Not even in the same league as the IK stuff. Though to be quite fair if you are thinking about getting an all in one bundle buy Komplete. Kontakt 5 is about 400 bucks at any rate so might as well get the most bang for your buck. With Komplete 8 you will NOT be disappointed. Enough stuff in there to fill you for a life time.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by goddfodder ➡️
Strangley enough i was just writing about Kontakt in another thread.

Ive delt with IK a few ties and tried a fair bit of there stuff. It's just my opinion but i had dealings with there support cos some software i bought didn't install. There basically the worst support ive dealt with. Never got a solution and they dont give a damn, The quality of their sound, i reckon, is a bit disappointing. There interfaces are awful and look ugly. Ive decided to never go with them on any product again.

Kontakt, i reckon is really cool. you gotta get into it. But its a damn good bit of kit. Kontakt 5 is slick, it loads fast, it just works. so yea if it were me go with native. some of the sounds are top draw. And as you build a library it just gewts better and better. Loads of 3rd party developers cater for it , and with some of the best Sample based instruments you can get.

Eleanor Rigby with LA Scoring Strings First Chair - YouTube

(Made with kontakt)
I keep hearing various stories about IK's support idk I haven't had many problems with their software and their support has always been great about helping me. I contacted them today actually about a problem with their website and they got back to me in 45 minutes. NI support is good too but I remember worrying after I ordered Alicia's Keys and not hearing back about it for a week but when I emailed them the person I emailed got back to me the next day and even gave me free overnight shipping because it took so long to get there. That said I think both companies offer great support. As I said in the bread and butter sounds thread if you can get both but I simply prefer the IK stuff for basic sounds and Kontakt for more detailed sounds when I need it most of the time I don't. If you are caught on a budget you can always buy libraries for Kontakt or buy Komplete and wait for IK to do another sale as they have them often. Hell I think they have had one or more of their products on sale every week since February when I started buying their stuff.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

To be honest I think kontakt is much better,but that's because there's so many sounds you can buy with it.

kontakt stock sounds are awesome as well,but I personally think ok total workstation will get you more mileage!

Sampletank 2.5 is a little flat sounding,but its a mixed bag of tricks.you can really find some good things in sampletank.

Philharmonic is cool,nothing bad to say about that.

The only real problem here is the fact that native-instruments was running a 50% off sale that I heard is extended thru September.

If you can get komplete 8 half price,its the best option!

Why,because komplete will open so many doors,that ik seem do not offer.

Upgrade path,buying komplete will let you add to kontakt for years to come,it also allow you to upgrade to komplete ultimate,which is currently 240 gigs of cutting edge sample.

When I upgraded from komplete 7 to komplete 8 ultimate for $500,I got native-instruments full catalog,worth thousands of dollars if purchased separately.

Kontakt samples are some of the best in the industry,some of sampletank samples are not hi-def imho.

Catch that NI sale unless you really can't afford it.

You can make good music with totalworkstation don't get me wrong,don't expect to drop any jaws though.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Nope you missed the NI sale,that have a free komplete 8 player,and komplete elements.

But you will get more from total workstation,compared to these to NI bundles.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➡️
Nope you missed the NI sale,that have a free komplete 8 player,and komplete elements.

But you will get more from total workstation,compared to these to NI bundles.

Sent from my PC36100
NI still has the free Kontakt 5 player up.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Aristocrat ➡️
NI still has the free Kontakt 5 up.
Yea,kontakt 5 player,guitar rig and reaktor players as well.all come with sounds.

Sent from my PC36100
Old 15th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The NI sale right now is through Sep. 30. You get a $30 voucher, plus Session Strings, The Mouth, and Razor for free if you register before Sep. 30.
Guitar Center is selling it for $499, and through the 19th, also has a $100 off coupon for any sales over $499, so I picked up Komplete 8 for $443 after tax.
So if you're going to jump on it, I'd suggest doing so before the 19th to take advantage of that coupon.

Haven't gotten into it yet (external hard drive issues) but I am very excited about it. I'm re-building my rig for game, film and tv sound, and I'm pretty certain that NI and Kontakt have me covered for a loooong time, as far as my software instrument needs go. I'm crossgrading my Kirk Hunter library, and later on will be picking up either Symphobia or LASS, probably both at some point.

I've gotten Total Workstation Bundles before (~3-4 years ago).
IK is no comparison.
If you're trying to be serious and make money with it, NI is the way to go.
If it's just a hobby, IK is fine.

Last edited by Frobog; 15th September 2012 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: Added dates for GC sale
📝 Reply