Omnisphere or fantom? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Omnisphere or fantom?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Omnisphere or fantom?

I need some insight from my fellow Gearslutz. I want to purchase some more sounds for my studio. I have Maschine, Komplete 8, Reason, Sampletank, Logic 9, etc.(All paid for by the way). Well I was going to add Omnisphere to the fold, but now I have an opportunity to cop a Roland Fantom X7 for 700.00 in mint condition. That seems to be a great deal. In a way, I want to have a dedicated keyboard in my studio, so I can quickly dial up ideas. But I know Omnisphere sounds are great from doing collaborations using it. As far as my keyboard controller, I use a Axiom Pro 61, currently. Which one would you guys grab, and also how are the sounds and drums on the Fantom X series. Thanks.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Grab the Roland
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Had a similar choice/opportunity between Omnisphere and Fantom some time ago and went with the Fantom. No regrets here.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks, I will have to drive 5 hrs to get it. How are the sounds on it, such as the brass, strings, pianos and synths. Also how are the drums, so one told me that they have MPC drums that are licensed by Akai.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
dont u have enuff software already guy?... get the Fantom.. sheesh.. lol

the sounds are on point, and it has slots for sound expansion... honestly, u should be done buyin anything that has to do with generating and creating sounds after this!

oh yea.. make sure u bring someone or something with u to lug that thing home.. its 76 keys ya know.. lol

da relic
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble ➑️
Thanks, I will have to drive 5 hrs to get it. How are the sounds on it, such as the brass, strings, pianos and synths. Also how are the drums, so one told me that they have MPC drums that are licensed by Akai.
The sounds are top notch,get the Roland.

Do you have regular komplete or komplete 8 ultimate?

Sent from my PC36100
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic ➑️
dont u have enuff software already guy?... get the Fantom.. sheesh.. lol

the sounds are on point, and it has slots for sound expansion... honestly, u should be done buyin anything that has to do with generating and creating sounds after this!

oh yea.. make sure u bring someone or something with u to lug that thing home.. its 76 keys ya know.. lol

da relic
LOL, definitely bringing someone with me. And yeah I know I have to many sounds, I am ashamed . Lol, but I need something that I can turn on and instantly go to work. Anyway, thanks for the laugh and the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY ➑️
The sounds are too notch,get the Roland.

Do you have regular komplete or komplete 8 ultimate?

Sent from my PC36100
I have regular Komplete 8, should have bought Ultimate but chose to buy some new monitors at the time.
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Omnisphere anytime. Much more inspiring sounds.
Old 10th September 2012
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I tried omnisphere ne time it sure has some great sounds but its not all round like fantoms
Old 10th September 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Are you looking to synthesise? Or for presets.

If the first Omnisphere quite frankly pisses all over the Fantom and its synthesis engine.

If you want some GM and some decent presets that have been used a million times then hey FANTOM it is.

You did mention that you would like something you can just dial in and start jamming some ideas. For that it would be cool and also as a decent midi control for sure.

Dont get me wrong the Fantom is a cool worsktation and im sure you can get a lot of use from it. If we are talking pure sound quality/synthesis engine then Omnishpere wins hands down in my opinion.

I would demo at least before making a call. As with most questions of this nature it depends on what the person using it uses it for. I mean some people make music that the Fantom sound is condusive to. Etc..

Bless and good luck.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Fantom all day
Old 10th September 2012
Hobbs_Won
If you are looking for just a pure rompler...Fantom...

But like KT mentioned, if you are seeking sound design (and future proofing)....Omnisphere all day.

They both are sample based. So Fantom AND Omnisphere have all the waveforms you need. But Omnisphere can just do WAY more WITH THEM.

Of course, if you want all the cheezy horns and brass and other sampled instruments etc that come with Fantom...there's your answer.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I had a fantom G and it was cool to put a workstation in my workflow...Then I realized i disnt like the way the audio out sounded so I switched to spdif, then i would get this little click from the spidif connections...Then i went back into komplete and kontakt and got back with akustik piano, and those other stock sounds and wound up liking tue kontakt libraries alot more than the fantom sounds...so I sold it.

If you are super in love with the roland sound go for it...I was, then I got over it...The good thing about it is you can probably get ur money back if u dont like it.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Fantom G: it's a plugin, with a good soundcard (RME) no click from the spdif and you can use it without abusive limitation, for example if you get hired by a sound design brand to make some royalty free loops dont use any Spectrasonics product or even multisamples from NI, you can get sued, seriousely...With the Roland you can do whatever you want.
Old 10th September 2012
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ yes roland sounds are free domain
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackV ➑️
LOL Omnisphere sucks. Some good sounds, plus a **** load of strange mystifying ambience pads that nobody will ever ****ing use.
LOL let's only use presets on a $500 vst...
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the replies. I have used Omnisphere before, great sounds but hard on the CPU. The Fantom is quick to use but not future proof. I am still leaning toward the Fantom, but would like to more what your thoughts are on the sounds. Thanks.
Old 10th September 2012
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^Did you see the new Roland integra 7 sound module?

It all 12 srx boards and all the sounds of the xv 5580

Roland INTEGRA-7 SuperNATURAL Sound Module
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb ➑️
^Did you see the new Roland integra 7 sound module?

It all 12 srx boards and all the sounds of the xv 5580

Roland INTEGRA-7 SuperNATURAL Sound Module
Yeah that is crazy but may be well out of my budget.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I want that roland integra...the xv 5080 was their best sounds imo...im soooooo pissed I got rid of mine
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
re

Im the opposite of every else. get omnishphere and then save the difference. I dont like workstations like that unless Im on tour. I dont think fantom sounds are very good either and they are easy to find. keybed would be better of course than an axiom. omni is a great synth that can do lots when you get under the hood not just weird sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madehumble ➑️
The Fantom is quick to use but not future proof. I am still leaning toward the Fantom, but would like to more what your thoughts are on the sounds. Thanks.
I cant talk about the sounds sorry, what I can say is that I still miss my Triton Rack and that thing was 13 years old. I really miss the sounds that were obviously not 100% 'real' strings etc... you could tell they were not the real thing but were better for it imo as I had others that pulled that off. It's hard to find that stuff these days as everything focuses on being as realistic as possible. Prob preaching to the choir here, but a Fantom for $700 (plus gas and snacks money) sounds like a steal and you wont be losing $$ too soon.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayl ➑️
I cant talk about the sounds sorry, what I can say is that I still miss my Triton Rack and that thing was 13 years old. I really miss the sounds that were obviously not 100% 'real' strings etc... you could tell they were not the real thing but were better for it imo as I had others that pulled that off. It's hard to find that stuff these days as everything focuses on being as realistic as possible. Prob preaching to the choir here, but a Fantom for $700 (plus gas and snacks money) sounds like a steal and you wont be losing $$ too soon.
Thanks Dayl, I am leaning so much towards the Fantom, that I am about to fall down.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roadtrip is on the cards then
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The sounds in the Fantom are cool but cant compete with huge multi sampled libraries.... but the presets are nicer and more useable than most VI's.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have yet to hear any beats that i can reconize using only omnisphere.Ive been curious about this plugin for awhile.Ive heard sound design but not beats maybe somebody can point me to some.Every omni thread i go in they say the same thing weird sounds.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
sounds like all you want is sounds. Get a Motif Rack.
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They are so different! Omnisphere is insanely deep. Crazy amount of possibilities in terms of sounds once you start getting into its interface. Whipping up good bread n butter synth sounds will take you no-time once you get to make friends with it, and it has so easy routing for effects/LFO's/filters. Add an arp, some usable effects and a custom enveloper/sequence envelope thingy to the list.

The Fantom? Well, it's an awesome machine if you like what it does. So if you feel that's what you need, there's no contest, a cheap and good condition Fantom it is!

Personally, I have a Motif Classic so I haven't had the need to also get a Fantom seeing as I use them for similar things, but both the Motif and Omnisphere are key elements in my production. I use both in almost every single project I work on.

If you have sound design gigs (I do), you will want Omnisphere anyway. If you don't, well that's not an argument.

For "simply" making "beats" in the world of modern urban pop/hip-hop etc., I'd want either a Motif or a Fantom in the studio.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
or grab a VS 700R !!! you have the fantom integarted in (dsp ) with an arx slot ....all in vst format !!

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VStudio700R/

Fun here my friend !!
πŸ“ Reply