Quantcast
I Just Can't Get Mixing Right So A Friend of Mine Refered Me To This Board.... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I Just Can't Get Mixing Right So A Friend of Mine Refered Me To This Board....
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I Just Can't Get Mixing Right So A Friend of Mine Refered Me To This Board....

how can i get a thick mix? Not too thick, but kinda like Early Timbaland thick? I can mix for space but just can't get the thickness. Help!
Old 9th September 2012
Mate this is such a generic question that the answer would be "hire Timbaland"!
No forum can make you mix like another person. Dig for tips,and start from thickening the kick and snare. Compression and careful sample choice is the key. For the rest of the arrangement there are no rules of thumb!It depends on the track and the elements. Work on it, search and try things. Don't expect knowledge and ability come from a forum thread.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Boy ➡️
how can i get a thick mix? Not too thick, but kinda like Early Timbaland thick? I can mix for space but just can't get the thickness. Help!
It's always about your source sounds and how those sound like thick-wise, but that's an answer you probably don't want to hear, do you?
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'd go with Switters' tips...

Maybe your monitoring is the reason why you think you need more low end in your mixes? Had the same problem years ago. A good set of monitors really increases mix-quality and is, imho, the most important thing in a studio!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint ➡️
I'd go with Switters' tips...

Maybe your monitoring is the reason why you think you need more low end in your mixes? Had the same problem years ago. A good set of monitors really increases mix-quality and is, imho, the most important thing in a studio!
Yuuup and acoustic treatment!
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➡️
Yuuup and acoustic treatment!

well i don;t have the money for all that. right now i just use headphones. my mix isn't lacking but i just want to take it to that next level. any tricks you got that i can use with what i have.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The difference is that when Timbaland started out, the standard was sampling drums from records onto hardware samplers. What you're doing is programming synthetic 808 hits from sample packs in software. The two approaches to music aren't remotely the same.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa ➡️
The difference is that when Timbaland started out, the standard was sampling drums from records onto hardware samplers. What you're doing is programming synthetic 808 hits from sample packs in software. The two approaches to music aren't remotely the same.
Exactly! He used this
Ensoniq ASR-10 | Vintage Synth Explorer
a well known fact
Old 9th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Boy ➡️
well i don;t have the money for all that. right now i just use headphones. my mix isn't lacking but i just want to take it to that next level. any tricks you got that i can use with what i have.
Yep, get some money so you can actually hear what you're doing properly!

That's how to take it to "the next level".

There's no shortcuts, no magic bullet. Just hard work and the best quality tools you can get. No "tricks" as such.
📝 Reply