Need to reinvent my drum game. - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need to reinvent my drum game.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➡️
808s are wack? You aren't using your 808s right. Layering 808s under a regular kick really makes a powerful drum sound and that is what a lot of people like Kanye West are doing these days.
Ha , when I first read that I thought it said.."Layering 808s under a regular kick really makes a powerful drum sound and that is what a lot of people like Kev West are doing these days."
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kev West>>>Kanye West
Old 13th September 2012
restpause
I found some relief in percussion by letting go of the familiar typical types of drum sounds with a few exceptions. Try to let go of all the typical percussion sound names and types and just experiment with what sounds good. Also, it could help to not restrict yourself to using just a single sound of each type. For example: use 4 different contrasting woofer sounds, 4 different contrasting midrange sounds, and 4 different contrasting tweeter sounds. Then mess around with different combinations of those and process some of them at various incidents during the tune. Also consider using tonal sounds instead of percussion, but using them as if they were percussion.

Anything like that could be a starting point, anyhow.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
^ good tip
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
808s are wack? You aren't using your 808s right. Layering 808s under a regular kick really makes a powerful drum sound and that is what a lot of people like Kanye West are doing these days.
Kanye actually uses 909s.
808s and heartbreaks is a misnomer.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aproblem ➡️
listen to some different type of music..talking about drums and groove..try some afro beat. Fela Kuti, Babatunde.. Nigerian masters imo. Also i've been into Taiko lately, Japanese percussion stuff. Lot's of dynamics in that, interesting instruments. Just listen to different ****.
Fela Kuti is the business.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Amen bro. Ive almost always got one kick for more punch, with the bottom rolled off on top of an 808. Usually I have a second kick in the middle to give it some body. The patterns aren't always the same for all 3, either.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think OP was stating that 808's are wack by the electronic sound itself as a kit. A 808 kit sounds good when layered, I do this as well, but you have to agree it's a horrible sounding electronic drum sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachariah ➡️
I love traditional japanese classical music. Kotos and kettle drums are so damn cool!

Sent from my SCH-I510
I want to buy one of the drums to sample. Could make a mean kick/tom. Good ones are a couple grand though..might have to hold out on that for a while lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience ➡️
The album used a lot of 909 sounds apparently, I'm sure he uses 808's too though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizal ➡️
I think OP was stating that 808's are wack by the electronic sound itself as a kit. A 808 kit sounds good when layered, I do this as well, but you have to agree it's a horrible sounding electronic drum sound.
Personally I like the sound of the 808, borderline love it actually
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I kinda wanna call this out as what feels to me ...

Which is such a ignorant post you want to have drums like "kanye" but it doesn't sound your willing to understand the fundamentals of crafting a good drum sound it starts with sample then comes the groove then compression idk that's just how I feel about this post sounds like your looking for the instant quick fix answer but there is none other then practice sorry if I sound like dick haha I'm just sayin.
Old 13th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
trap muzik kinda killed the 808 by overusing it, but its still my favorite drum machine (OG not samples) but it's true there are hardly any 808 sounds on "808s & Heartbreak" except a few pitched sub kicks, but i never heard any 909 sounds either?? who pointed to that?

speaking of kanye drums & 808s this discussion reminded this old vid where kanye goes to timbo for some drum advice (yep even kanye struggles with drums every now & then ):

Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambience ➡️
cool I love 909s and 606s too.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizal ➡️
I don't feel that way at all. I think electronic drum sounds in general have their place. I love 808 kicks, hats, snares and claps. Toms not so much. I also love natural drum sounds.
Old 14th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Take all of your drums and detune them a few semitones, instant revampage!
📝 Reply