Quantcast
NO it's not a game changer (software sequencer/drum machines etc....) - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NO it's not a game changer (software sequencer/drum machines etc....)
Old 9th September 2012
Hobbs_Won
Whatever man....this ****'s been beat to death
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Brb
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketz ➑️
Forcing Akai to kill off all existing hardware MPCs and rebrand what a "MPC" is by desperately trying to copy Maschine's integrated software/hardware concept? I'd say there's no doubt the game has been changed.
Exactly what I'm saying
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyo ➑️
COSIGN

Overall...I agree absolutely. That is why it was head scratching that NI didn't put this technology into Maschine. Or if they wanted to keep separate cash cows, do what Propellerhead originally done with Reason and Record. That is when Maschine and Battery are installed on the same system, make them completely integrated. So instead of Maschine's limited sound param, Battery's robust sound editor would show up in its place...beyond a floating plugin window.

@IM WHO YOU THINK
We have been talking talking about the Ren every day. And in all those threads, your were dissing individuals personal preferences. Please stop whining now that you are getting a dose of your own medicine. Besides, we are just talking about products that most of us here own.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketz ➑️
Forcing Akai to kill off all existing hardware MPCs and rebrand what a "MPC" is by desperately trying to copy Maschine's integrated software/hardware concept? I'd say there's no doubt the game has been changed.
lol. I dont think you get it or truly understand what a game changer is...that...... and you're just squirting to show maschine some love.

But that's ok pal I see you
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brb ➑️
Maschine is a game changer, look at the copy cats that stole machines concept... Artuira spark, mpc renaissance. None of these products would have existed or been as good if it wasn't for maschine
Akai did not steal Maschine's concept. To say this in a Gearslutz forum?

Akai produced the MPD series drum pad controllers in the early 2000's. This was to bring what was special about MPCs (16 pads, Note Repeat, 16 Levels, Full Level, Pad Banks, etc) to the emerging software market. The MPD series have been used with Battery, Reason, and many other software products...approx 7 years before Maschine.

The MPC 4000 and Aksys (also released early 2000s) was the first integrated sampling drum machine software package.

Akai and Ableton had been developing the APC40 and Live package...and it was announced the same time as Maschine and released the same year.

NI build upon what Akai was already doing. If you take Maschine and you remove any technology it has that is similar to an MPC 4000 and MPD...you will be left with a hollow box and scenes. You need to do some research when discussing who 'stole' ideas from who.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The ren is out and no one cares end of story !!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTA_ONE ➑️
The ren is out and no one cares end of story !!!!
Really? I couldn't tell by the look of the long pre-orders lists of US retailers. I want another one now but it appears everybody sold their stock on hand...can't find an online dealer with them in stock.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
what do you need two Renaissances for, Jahrome?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonsquash ➑️
what do you need two Renaissances for, Jahrome?
One of them is going to Forat for a custom mod. One will always remain in my studio. There other one for any travel....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahrome ➑️
Really? I couldn't tell by the look of the long pre-orders lists of US retailers. ......everybody sold their stock on hand...can't find an online dealer with them in stock.
There is no "stock on hand" nor has there ever been. Second, nobody knows how many pre-orders there are. All that is known is that Akai hasn't shipped any substantial amount of product.

Now that the bugs are beginning to surface we will see what Akai's commitment really is.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox ➑️
There is no "stock on hand" nor has there ever been. Second, nobody knows how many pre-orders there are. All that is known is that Akai hasn't shipped any substantial amount of product.

Now that the bugs are beginning to surface we will see what Akai's commitment really is.
Musician's Friend and Guitar Center were among the retailers who received the first shipment. A friend of mine and several MPC Forum members have received their orders. (I'm happy because it was getting lonely being among the few with one )

I'm in Japan...but do business with Sweetwater in the US. They have 140 preorders as of a few days ago. How many units Akai has shipped doesn't impact me from enjoying this game changer.

The Ren has some bugs but I would say it is more solid than any OS1 of an MPC. Akai is aggressively working towards cementing this as the premiere sampling drum machine workstation on the market. An OS update is forthcoming....has some goodies and fixes.
Old 9th September 2012
Hobbs_Won
Really??? Forat is doing custom mods already???? I emailed him over a week ago and this is what Bruce said....

Quote:
Hi Robert,

I would imagine so but it's too early to tell.

Thank you,

Bruce

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 16:33:14 -0400, xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey,

Wanted to know if you are going to be offering mods for the MPC-Renaissance in the near future or at all?

Thanks..

RP

Forat Electronics Corp.
11739 Ventura Blvd.
Studio City, CA 91604 U.S.A
(818)763-3007
www.forat.com/service
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won
Really??? Forat is doing custom mods already???? I emailed him over a week ago and this is what Bruce said....
He says the same thing every time a new MPC is released. I asked him about the 5000 when it came out. He said he would be willing to give it a try. Typically..people wait until after warranty to start any mod that would invalidate it. But I want to be among the first. So when I get my second unit...and after the new car smell is gone...packing it up along with $1200 and ask him to work some magic on it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I'm sure our resident akai employee does
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm in Japan...but do business with Sweetwater in the US. They have 140 preorders as of a few days ago.
Can you substantiate this or the previous claim? Stop pulling numbers out of the sky. You're not more than a Sweetwater customer.

Quote:
The Ren has some bugs but I would say it is more solid than any OS1 of an MPC.
That's a pretty low bar dude.

I'm still trying to figure out how users caught bugs within two days that you and Midichlorian couldn't catch in several months-but that another story,

Quote:
Akai is aggressively working towards cementing this as the premiere sampling drum machine workstation on the market.
It's not a drum machine it's still just a midi controller.

Quote:
An OS update is forthcoming.
5000 users will be glad to hear Anyway, I'm aware that 1.1 is coming in Oct. The question is what happens long term after.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny how a thread about pimping what you have has turned into product promotion I know why many here don't discuss gear/production. It's because they don't produce. So promote away. Do u.

Hopefully the Ren is a great piece and it will sell well to allow Akai to develop more great products. With that said. Hopefully NI will continue doing great things. Kontakt is a solid piece of my toolkit.

My primary point was that I personally don't want to be tied to a single tool and I like having multiple pieces in my toolkit that work in tandem. Also, I don't need 12 hammers when I have the ability to hammer perfectly with what I have.

Its crazy how we have MUCH better tools today and yet Hip Hop Music isn't producing the classics it used to. Maybe if I could open a plug in drum machine, I'd make better music than what I do on my "relic"

Hopefully the development from NI and Akai will push programs like Pro tools and Logic to include better drum machine like features in their software which would for my use eliminate the need for most other things.

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
^^^ If someone sucked before the Ren/Studio they'll still suck just as much after they get the new Akai controller.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahrome ➑️
really? I couldn't tell by the look of the long pre-orders lists of us retailers. I want another one now but it appears everybody sold their stock on hand...can't find an online dealer with them in stock.
i would love to see this list . Jah how in the world would you get ahold of this list ? Never mind iit does not matter . But whats so funny is you said that when the ren is released you would post videos .now you cant seem to buy one anywhere . I mean come on jah what do you need with three rens lol one you still have as a beta tester and you said you will buy two more .. Like i sid b 4 .. I think they shiped out a few just to see if there are any bugs ..
Lol i cme out with a product i would ship it would wide .. And be proud of it .. Unless i had something to hide .. I feel sorry for the people who bought the ren so soon . All they are $1300 ginny pigs .
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
lol You know things are desperate when MPC fanboys bring up MPDs and Aksys to claim that Akai were somehow ahead of the game and knew what they were in for. The reality is that Akai got caught sleeping and had to kill off the entire line of hardware MPCs and are now struggling to get their overpriced poor Maschine clone off the ground just to compete.

Quote:
Akai produced the MPD series drum pad controllers in the early 2000's. This was to bring what was special about MPCs (16 pads, Note Repeat, 16 Levels, Full Level, Pad Banks, etc) to the emerging software market. The MPD series have been used with Battery, Reason, and many other software products...
This only goes to show that Akai thought that pairing MPDs with software was enough. Akai never had the knowhow or the vision to come up with the integrated software/hardware concept that NI brought to Maschine (the game changing aspect is the way NI implemented it which was already being developed with earlier products like Kore).

Quote:
The MPC 4000 and Aksys (also released early 2000s) was the first integrated sampling drum machine software package.
Ahahahahahahaha!!! That's a good one. Thanks for the laugh but MPC4000/Aksys was far from an "integrated sampling drum machine software package". It has nothing to do with what Maschine is. Aksys was just a file manager/editor and the software was a complete joke. It was known to crash constantly and transferring files via the 4000's USB1 port was torturously slow. It doesn't even run on today's computer OSes as it was abandoned just like all hardware MPCs.

Quote:
Akai and Ableton had been developing the APC40 and Live package...and it was announced the same time as Maschine and released the same year.
And it's well known that you still have to click around with a mouse even with Live + APC40 and that it has nowhere near the level of integration that Maschine has.

The bottomline is, Akai never saw the integrated software/dedicated hardware concept coming in the way NI implemented with Maschine. They had no clue which is why 3 years after Maschine was released, Akai is barely trying to catch up.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK ➑️
Funny how a thread about pimping what you have has turned into product promotion

Chuch
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketz
This only goes to show that Akai thought that pairing MPDs with software was enough.
Again.....it was Akai's concept. Without the MPD there is no Maschine. NI only expanded on the idea. The didn't invent anything. Did they do a better job by bringing creating their own controller for their software...of course they did. And with every update, they brought more and more features to match what we have had in MPCs for a decade to include the upcoming OS 1.8. And the MKII controller now eliminates those spongy buttons.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketz
The bottomline is, Akai...
...has been the leader of sampling drum machines for 25+ years and will continue to be so for some time based upon my first hand experience. You can choose to believe me or not. But when you actually sit down with the MPC Ren, you will clearly see Akai wasn't playing when they built this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Maddox
Can you substantiate this or the previous claim? Stop pulling numbers out of the sky. You're not more than a Sweetwater customer.
What do you need me to provide to prove my claim? Email traffic? I need to record the phone conversation? How about you pick up the phone to check for yourself?

Call Sweetwater (TJ) and ask to be put on their preorder list. He will give you a number if you ask. I cancelled my order and went with another retailer. I also have email correspondences from him if it will make you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
I want to be honest and let you know that we have 140 people in line for them and you are around the 120th in line. I dont think that we will get 120 in on our first shipment but I will let you know what I find. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Self-authored e-mail quotes. Seriously?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The ren should sell its self right ?? Quess not !!!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Self-authored e-mail quotes. Seriously?
You are the one that asked me to prove it. My proof was the email I was sent and I gave you the name of the Sweetwater sales agent so you can call him yourself and report back here.

The Ren is available....more MPC Forum members have received their units in the past two days and more projected to get their units next week.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You are the one that asked me to prove it. My proof was the email I was sent and I gave you the name of the Sweetwater sales agent so you can call him yourself and report back here.

The Ren is available....more MPC Forum members have received their units in the past two days and more projected to get their units next week.
Providing proof and asking someone to prove it for you are hardly the same. Summarize to say that the number can't be substantiated. Even if there is a rep named TJ I'm not about to call that person and waste their time about something someone posted on a forum.

OTOH I would be interested in seeing how you got a $1200 figure from Forat after they essentially told one customer they were uncertain.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Honnestly these bitch fights are getting annoying, the topic here is about new items being or not game changers vs what was already available a few years back.

You been arguing for 9 monthes over that box, why do you need to invade every thread with that BS?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Bring back the pause tapes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wow, so many useless crappy threads with the ****ty Ren/Maschine war...

Even threads not about it get the jahrome treatment...

And weirdly, those threads do not get moderated.

Between this and all the stupid noob threads, the GS Hip-Hop section has become a **** hole.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Really? We keep this banter up in about 4 threads.....out of how many that are currently active? Have a sense of humor. You don't have to enter any threads regarding drum machine debates. Readin/Not reading these threads will not negatively impact anyone's life.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dude, you don't even do your rep job correctly, those threads aren't readable and finding interesting infos is almost impossible.

I just read one comparison you did and you brought a wrong fact about Maschine.

Bring us some noise, we're musicians, not chatterboxes, make us nod on a Ren made beat Jahrome!

And please, GS moderation, do something, this forum is dying.
Closed