Quantcast
Need help on this Mix - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need help on this Mix
Old 8th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Need help on this Mix

yo Ive been checking out illminds stuff alot lately.
I like how he mixes his beats.
I just wanted to know if all the instruments on this track (not the drums)
are stereo?
it seems as if some of them are mono.
or if stereo they are just narrowed?

Im not that experienced with mixes so i cant figure it out.
thanks.
peace.

Illmind - Behind The Curtain - 18 New Start - YouTube
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
It's not rare to have things in mono. More often or not half the instruments in my mixes end up being mono.
Old 8th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackx โžก๏ธ
It's not rare to have things in mono. More often or not half the instruments in my mixes end up being mono.
so most of those instruments are mono?
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
im listening to it now, threw headphones so excuse me if im not precise. but i'd say his drums and sounds like a piano all the way in the back and bass is all mono plus that loud upward swirl people use a lot now a days. everything else is stereo, and some of the sounds are stereo and panned (some panned hard).

sounds like a ride or something in stereo panned all the way left. really caught me off guard at first.

why is any of this important though? i mean who cares whats in mono and stereo. the biggest aspect of this beat to me is the depth. n not to bash on you but you should be able to hear what instruments are in mono and stereo and which ones are panned.
Old 8th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stackx โžก๏ธ
im listening to it now, threw headphones so excuse me if im not precise. but i'd say his drums and sounds like a piano all the way in the back and bass is all mono plus that loud upward swirl people use a lot now a days. everything else is stereo, and some of the sounds are stereo and panned (some panned hard).

sounds like a ride or something in stereo panned all the way left. really caught me off guard at first.

why is any of this important though? i mean who cares whats in mono and stereo. the biggest aspect of this beat to me is the depth. n not to bash on you but you should be able to hear what instruments are in mono and stereo and which ones are panned.
yeah i know man, its the only thing ive really been screwed up on, which is placing where everything is in the mix... does mixing with speakers determine this better. ive only ever mixed with a $30 pair of headphones..

Im getting the hang of it though, before I was just just leaving everything in stereo <100 100>
not knowing that that was way too wide for everything.
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
yup.. sorry to tell you but thats your problem right there. no point in even worrying about anything else until you fix that issue. not to say mixing on a good pair of relatively flat expensive headphones isn't possible, but not necessarily the same as monitors. especially if your still learning. the soundstage is no where as clear, sound waves are also meant to travel not blast directly into your ears.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…