Quantcast
How to make bass sound big? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to make bass sound big?
Old 8th September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
How to make bass sound big?

I'm working on a track that has a sine/square bass from a VST.
It's practically a sub bass.. there's not much higher harmonics.
Anyways, it sounds extremely dead mono and lifeless.
It's not a frequency thing, it just doesn't sound big and wide.
Comparing my track to this song.. it sounds tiny;



The youtube version might suck quality wise.. but how do you mix a bass to sound this big?

I've tried the HAAS effect by delaying one side completely by 10-20ms but that isn't it.
I've tried putting a chorus on but it isn't quite it neither.
Any other ideas?
Old 8th September 2012
  #2
Gear Maniac
 
Nealatosis's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➑️
I'm working on a track that has a sine/square bass from a VST.
It's practically a sub bass.. there's not much higher harmonics.
Anyways, it sounds extremely dead mono and lifeless.
It's not a frequency thing, it just doesn't sound big and wide.
Comparing my track to this song.. it sounds tiny;



The youtube version might suck quality wise.. but how do you mix a bass to sound this big?

I've tried the HAAS effect by delaying one side completely by 10-20ms but that isn't it.
I've tried putting a chorus on but it isn't quite it neither.
Any other ideas?
Double it and eq one for just the low freq and the other for higher freq, then put slight distortion on the high freq. Also you could use the plugins like maxxbass or rbass if you have the funds.
Old 8th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Skamm Goodiez's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
lower and hipass EVERYTHING else
Old 8th September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Like I said.. it's not really a frequency thing.. it's more of a stereo thing.
I feel like it has enough low end. It just doesn't sound big.
Here's the track I'm talking about.. I just uploaded it last night.



It's there but it sounds small.. I want it to sound huge like the video in the OP.
Old 8th September 2012
  #5
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
put it on a stereo track, but narrow the stereo field pots
Old 8th September 2012
  #6
Here for the gear
 
brgprod's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Its sounds like the Drama track has a synth layered along with the bass.
Old 9th September 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
what's anyone's take on adding using max bass for that?
Old 9th September 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Turn it up

Sent from my SCH-I510
Old 9th September 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Rbass on a parallel track
Old 9th September 2012
  #10
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Layering is the way to go, and EQ'ing it
Old 9th September 2012
  #11
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Have not heard the links. But I would layer the part. And add saturation/distortion and compression to phatten it up.

And if you haven't already, make sure your bass patch has a sub osc.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Head
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TYPHY ➑️
Like I said.. it's not really a frequency thing.. it's more of a stereo thing.
I feel like it has enough low end. It just doesn't sound big.
Here's the track I'm talking about.. I just uploaded it last night.



It's there but it sounds small.. I want it to sound huge like the video in the OP.
Sounds pretty good to me! Maxx/Rbass on a send/return or copying the bass onto another track and panning one all the way to the left and vice/versa on the other. Sometimes it seems like it wouldn't work conceptually, but it gives that little bit of enhancement
Old 9th September 2012
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Sounds really good to me. Have you tried listening it in another room/car. Just a thought but maybe your room modes are cutting out the fundamental frequencies..
Old 9th September 2012
  #14
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
+1 on doubling the track and distorting the highpassed.
Gives you something to play with in the stereofield.
Old 9th September 2012
  #15
Lives for gear
Eq is a way to go to make it sound big, no compression - that will just take away the power of the bass. Add some saturation in parallel to make it sound more dense and hearable on smaller speakers.
Old 9th September 2012
  #16
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
Layer! Put a triangle a few octaves above the sub. If you have Massive, play around with the intensity. EQ out lows, Haas delay the top end, slightly saturate for warmth etc.
Old 9th September 2012
  #17
Gear Nut
 
🎧 10 years
Slap this on the bas stem and call it a day

Dada Life
Old 9th September 2012
  #18
223904
Guest
There are many ways to do it but the best way is be shure your basic bass sound is good, don't use soft synth bass because they have to much air in it. Try a analog synth or and if you don't have one use analog synth samples.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
  #19
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by raffael77 ➑️
don't use soft synth bass because they have to much air in it.


Sounds like the bass is layered with some synth on the choruses. Besides, there`s more going on in the production than in your track that makes the whole sound wider. Good luck with your track
Old 9th September 2012
  #20
Lives for gear
 
recordinghopkins's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Try sending it to an early reflection reverb and high pass the send at 100Hz or higher, then squash it like you would a room mic on a drumkit. Mix to taste.
Old 10th September 2012
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Dayl's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I get the impression that the difference between the two is perception. The original has a number of other elements (HP filtered synth etc) going on that make the bass stand out. Your track is sparse so all the focus is clearly on the bass and breaks and nothing is left to the imagination.
Old 10th September 2012
  #22
Lives for gear
 
ksandvik's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
This is my secret weapon, maybe no more, Airwindows CabSVT AU plugin. Could cause nasty artifacts in extreme settings but otherwise you get a *lot* of low-end, especially suitable for dub/reggae bass or anything bassy. Free.
Old 10th September 2012
  #23
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
I'm not sure but you said you made it with a sine and square.

Firstly a sine will sound the freq of the note only. That will give you the impression of smaller but more precise. The square is irrelevant if the cut off and low pass filter is dragged.

To give the impression of bigger you need to either add harmonic or widen the bass note slope by using leas resonance and adding another osc slightly detuned from the sine.

It could also be that the very low freq in room appear less prominent.
Sweep a sine wave down the spectrum and listen to what your room does.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
Old 10th September 2012
  #24
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
This is my secret weapon, maybe no more, Airwindows CabSVT AU plugin. Could cause nasty artifacts in extreme settings but otherwise you get a *lot* of low-end, especially suitable for dub/reggae bass or anything bassy. Free.
Thanks for the tip! Will check this out when I get home.
Old 10th September 2012
  #25
Here for the gear
 
🎧 5 years
there is so much incorrect info in this thread its insane . doubling your bass? seriously? Harmonic distortion and imaging is how you do it.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #26
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDJ ➑️
there is so much incorrect info in this thread its insane . doubling your bass? seriously? Harmonic distortion and imaging is how you do it.
I think the guy said to double it and then split the frequencies, to distort 1 of the 2. What do you mean by harmonic imaging though...
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
  #27
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 ➑️
I'm not sure but you said you made it with a sine and square.

Firstly a sine will sound the freq of the note only. That will give you the impression of smaller but more precise. The square is irrelevant if the cut off and low pass filter is dragged.

To give the impression of bigger you need to either add harmonic or widen the bass note slope by using leas resonance and adding another osc slightly detuned from the sine.

It could also be that the very low freq in room appear less prominent.
Sweep a sine wave down the spectrum and listen to what your room does.

Sent from my HTC Desire S
This dude knows what's up.

First thing, the DJ Drama track is not a square, it is a bunch of detuned saw waves. Right off the bat, that's a major difference between your sounds. This sound is something like 8 sawtooth waves stacked and detuned between 1-3 cents each.

Pan each one of these saws across the stereo field. I would also layer in a triangle and put it right up the middle for that sub layer.

Your track definitely doesn't sound tiny. It's right up the middle, so it's not wide, but it is big.
Old 10th September 2012
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Storyville's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Listen to the two on laptop speakers, and the answer will become pretty apparent.

KT1 and Zachariah are giving you good info here.


However, if it HAS to happen in the mix phase, a sine wave isn't going to give you much love in terms of size. You need distortion for that (and probably a lot of it). If you need width, you need distortion across multiple parallel tracks and you need modulation.
Old 11th September 2012
  #29
Lives for gear
 
JblKid95's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Heyy is this the same concept???? That 808 is huge! is this also a saw wav?



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFEZanPAZRo
Old 11th September 2012
  #30
KT1
Lives for gear
 
KT1's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyville ➑️
Listen to the two on laptop speakers, and the answer will become pretty apparent.

KT1 and Zachariah are giving you good info here.


However, if it HAS to happen in the mix phase, a sine wave isn't going to give you much love in terms of size. You need distortion for that (and probably a lot of it). If you need width, you need distortion across multiple parallel tracks and you need modulation.
Yup exactly. Or use a second osc and keep the cut off raised. Lots of great illusions.

It does depend on the sound. A sine wave with added harmonic will sound more audible and give impression if larger but if your bot set on timbre use another osc tuned 1 octave higher. That's a simple fix. You can then play those sub low d and still hear enough brighter in the mix.


Sent from my HTC Desire S
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 24 views: 17883
Avatar for marcan
marcan 6th December 2007
replies: 21243 views: 1719120
Avatar for bad jitter
bad jitter 1 minute ago
replies: 124 views: 20610
Avatar for Fanu
Fanu 24th June 2016
replies: 829 views: 140788
Avatar for DownSideUp
DownSideUp 2 days ago
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump