The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beat Thang beat up or beat hot?
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
Beat Thang beat up or beat hot?

Just trying to get a feel for this thing and see if any of you guys are using this device, it looks like a champion interface, with equal sounds; but I haven't had a chance to demo and dive deep. Wattcha like, dont like, about this thang, worth the bread? Anyone have it or using it? Any clips?
Been used on any recent releases by any major artists?
Talk that talk...
Temple
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
Beat Thang was DOA.
Old 5th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by co-signer ➑️
Beat Thang was DOA.
+1
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
As in 16 bit 44.1khz audio out? All that modern interfacing and style...wasted on
20th century sound....they should of bit it/built it with 24bit 48khz converters to match the interface and aesthetic...someone's taking a hella writedown right about now...
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Produced with Beat Thang ... This song is produced by Carlos Broady,who uses it... Personally ..I never thought to highly of beat thang.. but there is a whole Youtube community that uses it... you should go there..

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple of Light ➑️
As in 16 bit 44.1khz audio out? All that modern interfacing and style...wasted on
20th century sound....they should of bit it/built it with 24bit 48khz converters to match the interface and aesthetic...someone's taking a hella writedown right about now...
Thats not important for a sampler, and is the LEAST of the beat thang's problems
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
please.. F*ck wat u heard.. people hated on the Beat Thang bcuz of its cocky owners (yep, they were cocky), and the fact that they were sellin it for $1500 originally, which was ridiculous... but once u get around all that nonsense, the machine is hot! i got it... wat i dont like? menu pages, i dont have a real prob with it, but i hate menus, and the plug in adapter... gimme a grounded plug next time... wat i do like? EVERYTHING.. it has USB, 3000 sounds, a 1 octave keyboard pad layout.. its loaded with craziness.. and its made of adamantium!! (well, steel).. i didnt listen to anybody when i got it... i checked it out, played with it, watched some vids, listened to the sounds, and bought it.. and since its $999 and also sold at Sam Ash now, its the price i thought it was gonna be in the beginning.

did i mention its portable? runs on a laptop battery?

da relic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic ➑️
please.. F*ck wat u heard.. people screamed on the Beat Thang bcuz of its cocky owners, and the fact that they were sellin it for $1500 originally, which was ridiculous... but once u get around all that nonsense, the machine is hot! i got it... wat i dont like? menu pages, i dont have a real prob with it, but i hate menus, and the and the plug in adapter... wat i do like? EVERYTHING.. it has USB, 3000 sounds, a 1 octave keyboard pad layout.. its loaded with craziness.. and its made of adamantium!! (well, steel).. i didnt listen to anybody when i got it... i checked it out, played with it, watched some vids, listened to the sounds, and bought it.. and since its $999 and also sold at Sam Ash now, its the price i thought it was gonna be in the beginning.

did i mention its portable? runs on a laptop battery?

da relic
Slick......your a yamaha rs owner right??how does it compare to that machine.The rs has a nice natural full blown hardware workstation feel right?Can do anything.What would you say about the nature of the bt in comparison (within reason-no synth of course) to the RS and MPC ect?can the filter and effects ect be recorded smoothly in real time?you know,that sort of thang.Could it be a good electronic music tweak box?.......cheers
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward ➑️
If I had a beat thang in my hands right now I would smash it on the floor as hard as I could and then you tube it for instant hits. Piece of crap stand for piece of crap.
Have you used one then?
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 15 years
I've never used one or seen one in person (My local vendor had issues with defective units the few they sold) but there's so much hate like Beat Thang ate your dog but most people trashing it have no first hand experience. Oh the rap forum
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
At the end of the day it's all about the musician NOT the gear.Every pice of gear has it's fanboys and it's haters. People did the same thing with the Roland MV8000. They dogged it, talked about it didn't have that "MPC swing". When in actuality it is wayyyyy more powerful than any MPC (128 midi tracks 8 audio,cd burning, all kinds of effects) and any level of swing can be dailed in. It's still one of my favorite pieces of gear and all the hate drove the price down so now I have 2. So like someone allready said F what u heard. Try it, if u like like it keep it

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goa-Dubs ➑️
Slick......your a yamaha rs owner right??how does it compare to that machine.The rs has a nice natural full blown hardware workstation feel right?Can do anything.What would you say about the nature of the bt in comparison (within reason-no synth of course) to the RS and MPC ect?can the filter and effects ect be recorded smoothly in real time?you know,that sort of thang.Could it be a good electronic music tweak box?.......cheers
well.. soundwise, yamaha gave the RS, flat sounds with hardly no effects on them, so u hafta tweak those to the best sounds u can get out of it, the Beat Thang blows the RS out tha water with its richer sounding library thats already setup.. there is so much to list... everything that i know of can be done in real time.. i havent went to the extreme, but the things ive done so far have been good with no probs...

as far as tweakabilty.. nothing hardware touches the RS (maybe the MPC 5000) in that dept, but u can tweak a good amount of stuff in there.. it just might be right up there with the RS, but u hafta navigate thru the menus.. i havent done that yet.

as far as it being a workstation? yes.. this machine can do everything u need, for Hip Hop and all its sub-genres with no problem.. the Beat Kangs made a great machine... the timing, their attitude, and the inflated price tag, are the main reasons not many bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesEdward ➑️
If I had a beat thang in my hands right now I would smash it on the floor as hard as I could and then you tube it for instant hits. Piece of crap stand for piece of crap.
do me a favor... get a friend to do it, but make sure ur foot's underneath... lol... actually, it might take a few drops b4 u even see a dent on the machine.. ur foot might be broken tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash ➑️
At the end of the day it's all about the musician NOT the gear.Every pice of gear has it's fanboys and it's haters. People did the same thing with the Roland MV8000. They dogged it, talked about it didn't have that "MPC swing". When in actuality it is wayyyyy more powerful than any MPC (128 midi tracks 8 audio,cd burning, all kinds of effects) and any level of swing can be dailed in. It's still one of my favorite pieces of gear and all the hate drove the price down so now I have 2. So like someone allready said F what u heard. Try it, if u like like it keep it
^^^EXACTLY!

da relic

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik dA Relic ➑️
well.. soundwise, yamaha gave the RS, flat sounds with hardly no effects on them, so u hafta tweak those to the best sounds u can get out of it, the Beat Thang blows the RS out tha water with its richer sounding library thats already setup.. there is so much to list... everything that i know of can be done in real time.. i havent went to the extreme, but the things ive done so far have been good with no probs...

as far as tweakabilty.. nothing hardware touches the RS (maybe the MPC 5000) in that dept, but u can tweak a good amount of stuff in there.. it just might be right up there with the RS, but u hafta navigate thru the menus.. i havent done that yet.

as far as it being a workstation? yes.. this machine can do everything u need, for Hip Hop and all its sub-genres with no problem.. the Beat Kangs made a great machine... the timing, their attitude, and the inflated price tag, are the main reasons not many bought it.

do me a favor... get a friend to do it, but make sure ur foot's underneath... lol... actually, it might take a few drops b4 u even see a dent on the machine.. ur foot might be broken tho.

^^^EXACTLY!

da relic
Relic you should make youtube video making a beat with it..

I'm still working with my Yamaha SU700
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
I had a hands on (pause) with it yesterday, and it's built like a tank.
If i had time to learn a new machine, this would be my choice.
Too bad a lot of people wanna bash it before they try it.
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hy buddy had one real chill 14 year old producer he bought one well his parents did. He said it sucks he let me play it for a bit I didn't like it. So he sold it. It glitches up, it's a cheap Chinese plastic. With poorly set presets worse that platinum workstation VST. It's slower than a snail. The outputs broke off after a couple days.

Do not purchase
Brb

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful ➑️
Hy buddy had one real chill 14 year old producer he bought one well his parents did. He said it sucks he let me play it for a bit I didn't like it. So he sold it. It glitches up, it's a cheap Chinese plastic. With poorly set presets worse that platinum workstation VST. It's slower than a snail. The outputs broke off after a couple days.

Do not purchase
Way to give people fake info...
The beat thang is made out of metal
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycash ➑️
Tommycash I Agree, everyone will have it likes and dislikes about everything & anything...Lol.

Although I like the concept of a laptop design compact in a powerful drum machine.
(I wish MPC-1000 could conect to a laptop battery....Lol)

However, if I'm going to pay that price, I'd rather wait until this ipad thing fades and the companies get smart, and start making musical DAW programs that fit Android & Windows 8 tablit pads.

It would be so convenient to sketch your work out on a tablet then easily transfer to your major DAW of USB, or just midi connect it as a drum machine into your DAW.

It's coming soon....I just know it.
Peace & blessings.
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
^^^the main reason i make my own decision, is 3 posts above.. i was thinking bout makin a vid on it, but there are alot of vids out already.. i figured i would just concentrate on my RS vids.. honestly, i haven't done a vid in about 2-3 yrs now.. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggmail ➑️
Tommycash I Agree, everyone will have it likes and dislikes about everything & anything...Lol.

Although I like the concept of a laptop design compact in a powerful drum machine.
(I wish MPC-1000 could conect to a laptop battery....Lol)

However, if I'm going to pay that price, I'd rather wait until this ipad thing fades and the companies get smart, and start making musical DAW programs that fit Android & Windows 8 tablit pads.

It would be so convenient to sketch your work out on a tablet then easily transfer to your major DAW of USB, or just midi connect it as a drum machine into your DAW.

It's coming soon....I just know it.
Peace & blessings.
yep.. i agree... that is the NEXT step.

da relic
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
I've used beatthang, it's not that bad but definitely not a high end piece of equipment. Ok for entry level though, and the software version isn't too bad for its price point.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWubbles ➑️
I've used beatthang, it's not that bad but definitely not a high end piece of equipment. Ok for entry level though, and the software version isn't too bad for its price point.
entry level? really? i can do a whole song with that machine, and i promise u, you wouldnt know where those sounds came from at ALL!!! so what would u say is entry level? it can easily compete with whats out there today (hardware)... its a machine made for Hip Hop... and plenty of songs thats out today, can be duplicated without a hitch on that machine.. u gotta give me more than that.. im sorry.

da relic
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
^ actually yah i totally agree with what you said there. I just mean it's a more feasible option than someone who might think they need to buy a new computer with ableton or cubase or something. Which is ultimately what a lot of people end up doing. But if you just want to get right into making beats then beatthang is great (thus a good way to get started).

I think I am in agreement with you! :P
Old 5th September 2012

🎧 10 years
yea.. i agree as well.. i tend to think, entry level means toy.. and its NOT a toy... just the fact that u can hook it up to the computer when ur ready, makes it a very flexible machine.. The Beat Kangz definitely did their hw when they sat down and designed it.

da relic
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwonderful ➑️

Do not purchase
Let the truth be told.
Old 6th September 2012

🎧 10 years
This is starting to get kind of funny/sad that people are describing gear as "toys" or entry level when it doesn't "feel" pro quality or have the 999th feature the other thing has. People in the olden days were making beats on sampler/sequencers with way less features and 2 sec of sampling time.

madlib and j dilla were making full beats on sp303's. They cost around 150 bucks, they are basically all plastic, and kind of slow...

It def looks like it can be a fine instrument/production tool in the right hands. The integration seems like it would work well for someone trying to create away from a PC yet have the mixing/mastering capabilities of a PC when they are ready to bounce their tracks.

Whether it's worth it to you or not depends on your production style, needs, and other personal preferences. If I had the extra monies I'd buy one.
Old 6th September 2012

🎧 10 years
when i 1st went to a studio (80s), they had a DMX drum machine that they used... all i had at the time was a Casio RZ1, but i brought it to the studio bcuz the drum pattern was song written on the machine, and i thought i was gonna have to duplicate the pattern on the DMX... the engineer simply took the RZ, hooked it up to the mixer, tracked down all the drums, and then layed effects on everything individually... when i seen him do that and i heard how it sounded, i looked at every machine on the market differently.. so when i listen to machines like the Beat Thang, whose sounds have been carefully layered and picked out, there's no way im gonna listen to what anybody says about it that's negative.. just go hear it for urself, if u dont like it, then its not for u... it fits my needs.

da relic
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Old 6th September 2012

🎧 10 years
This thing looks dope and I'l love to give it a shot. I'm in New Zealand atm so I doubt that's going to happen, and when I'm not in NZ, I dont have the time so....

Worst marketing, representation, PR for a product ever..... They really shot themselves over this. I also think it is a little bloated and could shed a little 'blang' to make it more affordable.

If someone wants to send one to NZ for me to try out that would be dope. I'd rep it
Old 6th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Roland and Casio had plenty of other quality products and engineers to design them properly.

I can't believe this is even a discussion. Have you seen the website, the few videos and little info on the site, and the name?
Old 6th September 2012

🎧 10 years
I have now, so far as I can tell it looks like a powerful concept that was compromised to meet a price point/manufacturing/marketing deadline...
if it had 24bit 48khz D to A converters on it with all 24 bit samples,
it would be worth a K to me....
πŸ“ Reply