Quantcast
Rick Ross in the studio.. HELP! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Rick Ross in the studio.. HELP!
Old 14th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Rick Ross in the studio.. HELP!

I am tracking Rick Ross tomorrow and I dont have much time to get his stuff layed down. Anyone here worked with him? I need to know what he used and all of that. I was told Avalon but what mics to save time?
Old 14th June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Are you doing album cuts or mixtape stuff for him? Because something tells me his album is gonna be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as the equipment I tried listening to some of the tracks I have from him but couldn't come up with anything solid.

good luck though

edit: are you in miami?

whip it real hard, whip it whip it real hard....
Old 14th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cool. good luck....

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatWAVS
Are you doing album cuts or mixtape stuff for him? Because something tells me his album is gonna be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! As far as the equipment I tried listening to some of the tracks I have from him but couldn't come up with anything solid.

good luck though

edit: are you in miami?

whip it real hard, whip it whip it real hard....
The album is already done.
Old 14th June 2006

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217
I am tracking Rick Ross tomorrow and I dont have much time to get his stuff layed down. Anyone here worked with him? I need to know what he used and all of that. I was told Avalon but what mics to save time?
Just use a U87... into a good preamp like a Neve, etc.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
how's the rest of the world feeling Rick Ross? He's the hometown hero of the moment (I'm in miami). He's been puttin in work for awhile now, ghostwritin gfor a lot of cats and whatnot, glad to see him getting some shine.

Plus the hustlin video is hot. the other side of miami, whats over the bridge. there's more to miami than south beach!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
The album is already done.
good stuff... sorry to be OT but do you know when it drops?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not sure... but I had a promo copy two weeks ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am feeling Rick Ross. The guys that did "hustlin" are from Orlando and are very cool, talented and have a ****load of placements coming up soon. I have heard the new Weezy track they did for Carter 3, I have heard a bunch of **** actually and it is all fire. I think they may have a track on the new jeezy also.

They said that Ross had been in the game forever and basically "hustlin" came together through management.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Won't be for a minute. We're mastering the record in a couple of weeks.

Did the next single today though. It's called "Blow". Don't know when they're releasing it to the rest of the country but it should be on the radio here in NYC tonight.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
We are doing another track for DJ Khaled, It is going to be a track on the Holly the Hitman cd later.

12K for 8 bars... crazy.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
masterer, who do you work for? We need mastering done for it..... I will send a pm/
Old 15th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
I am feeling Rick Ross. The guys that did "hustlin" are from Orlando and are very cool, talented and have a ****load of placements coming up soon. I have heard the new Weezy track they did for Carter 3, I have heard a bunch of **** actually and it is all fire. I think they may have a track on the new jeezy also.

They said that Ross had been in the game forever and basically "hustlin" came together through management.

yea, i actually worked with them while they were doing stuff with Jeezy. Honestly, they kinda choked. They came up with some **** that sounded exactly like hustlin, and jeezy wasn't having that. then they struggled to come up with something else, writer's block i guess. I don't think jeezy was too impressed.

They did have some talent, i don't know what happened here though.

Ross has definitely been in the game for a long time. he's paid his dues.

Khaled on the other hand Don't get me started on that fool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
back to the question though....

A U87 to GR or API would work but I dont have my 87 anymore and the studio only has a TLM103.... so I have to take something. I got a SOundelux 251c and a Pelus 22 51. And other smaller mics, but I guess I am just stuck and have to figure it out myself.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
well i'll tell you this, i've heard tracks where rick ross' voice sounded great, and I've heard many more where he sounded horrible. So you got your work cut out for you. I've never personally recorded him so i can't really help you out.

I would probably take that 251 with you though if all they have is a 103.

Plus he's got a nice deal now, you can charge for the rental heh
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Ross's voice is pretty thick, and not irritating at all, plus he doesnt seem to stack a ton of tracks. You can't lose with a U87 through a 1073 pre with some highpass, and a touch of high boost. For tracking compression I would guess an 1176, or LA2A would work nicely with his tone, but if it sounds too dirty, try a more discreet sounding compressor like the Avalon.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I think the 251 is still to bright but we will see.... I am just a called engineer to a labels studio. They nned someone there to run the show with a professional so I am that person I guess. Anyways, I cant charge for rentals b/c the session is tomorrow and I found out a little while ago. Therefore I cant up prices or any of that.... I like my residual work flow from them! This is also a break to get some tracking credits on a song that may get big and I am mixing it as well.

I am not going to stack. 1 lead and left/right OD and 1 OD center. Thats all... mix to taste! I have my Tube Tech MEC1a channel but I was told to use the Avalon. So the pre is ok, I just need to get a good mic in there. And I am mixing it so I can hide stuff or "fix it in the mix" (EQ or Comp).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrock305
yea, i actually worked with them while they were doing stuff with Jeezy. Honestly, they kinda choked. They came up with some **** that sounded exactly like hustlin, and jeezy wasn't having that. then they struggled to come up with something else, writer's block i guess. I don't think jeezy was too impressed.

They did have some talent, i don't know what happened here though.

Ross has definitely been in the game for a long time. he's paid his dues.

Khaled on the other hand Don't get me started on that fool.

Right on, you are working out of south beach right? That's a funny tale right there. They are just young still....guess it showed up in that session.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
masterer, who do you work for? We need mastering done for it..... I will send a pm/

Sterling Sound.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer
Sterling Sound.
Hi Chris...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yes?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We are doing another track for DJ Khaled, It is going to be a track on the Holly the Hitman cd later.

12K for 8 bars... crazy.
Yeah that is crazy.

BaseJase

🎧 15 years
Quote:
yes?
No... the Masterer. His name is Chris, too..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I get it.... He PM's me so we got it straight.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab
Right on, you are working out of south beach right? That's a funny tale right there. They are just young still....guess it showed up in that session.

yea, south beach.

they did seem pretty young. but they're getting good placements, article in billboard, etc. so they're doing alright.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Chris...

What's up Tony. How's business?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterer
What's up Tony. How's business?
Not bad. I wish I was making more music, though...

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not bad. I wish I was making more music, though...
Don't we all....
Old 16th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
It is all done! Now I have to retrack the other artist for the song and then mix it! He took a while to write 16 bars but after that he was a professional. I wont comment on the verse b/c I dont get paid to but he was great to work with! He showed up with like 8 people one was the CEO of Slip n' Slide and was a god guy. These top artist dont make it by luck, the work hard and are professional.

I ended up going with a Peluso 22 51 to the Avalon 737 with the hi-end eq'd -2db at 10K and that was about it! I didnt think that the Peluso 22 51 would cut it for the deep voice of Rick but it did a GREAT JOB! I might be hooked to get the 22 47LE....
Old 16th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
yep, dude's got a cool voice. glad to hear it worked out well for you.
πŸ“ Reply