Quantcast
stereo effects on drums? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
stereo effects on drums?
Old 14th June 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
hitsville's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
stereo effects on drums?

Do you guys use stereo effects to get your drums to sound bigger and wider ?

Anybody using harmonizers to pitch down/up one side by a few % ?

ive been thinking of buying a H3000 or something like that to fatten my drums and make them sound wider.. not sure if it will be worth it, what yall think ?
Old 18th June 2006
  #2
Lives for gear
 
hitsville's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
anybody ?
Old 18th June 2006 | Show parent
  #3
Gear Guru
 
thethrillfactor's Avatar
 
4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville
anybody ?

What does wider mean to you?
Old 18th June 2006 | Show parent
  #4
Lives for gear
 
hitsville's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
good question.. I find it hard to describe sounds with words, especially in english because it's not my first language. hope this makes sense :

what I mean by wider is.. whatever how I eq/compress/tweak my drums I feel they always sound a bit "flat", "2D" compared to my reference mixes (which are mostly 90s hiphop, premier, large pro, beatminerz, pete rock, etc..). Reverbs (plugs only though) haven't helped a lot either. my setup is all ITB.

So I'm feeling maybe I should try experimenting with stereo effects, using them just a little bit so the drums still sound 'mono', but bigger and more "3D" (I'm speaking of sampled drums btw)

hope this makes a little more sense, I'm striving to find the right words lol
Old 18th June 2006 | Show parent
  #5
Gear Head
 
🎧 15 years
Short stereo delay on hats/ percs?
Old 18th June 2006 | Show parent
  #6
13030
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville
good question.. I find it hard to describe sounds with words, especially in english because it's not my first language. hope this makes sense :

what I mean by wider is.. whatever how I eq/compress/tweak my drums I feel they always sound a bit "flat", "2D" compared to my reference mixes (which are mostly 90s hiphop, premier, large pro, beatminerz, pete rock, etc..). Reverbs (plugs only though) haven't helped a lot either. my setup is all ITB.

So I'm feeling maybe I should try experimenting with stereo effects, using them just a little bit so the drums still sound 'mono', but bigger and more "3D" (I'm speaking of sampled drums btw)

hope this makes a little more sense, I'm striving to find the right words lol

Drums are generally in mono and if you have to have them in stereo then be aware that you are actually compromising the width simply because of this.

Mix in mono and you will find that placing them in a field makes for better width and depth.

Good EQ and choice of sounds make for a better stereo placement than running all the sounds in stereo hoping for 'width'.

If you have to have width, then try using phase offsets. They work much better and sound a lot more natural.
Old 20th June 2006 | Show parent
  #7
Lives for gear
 
hitsville's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
thanks, could you develop what you mean by 'using phase offsets' though ?

the reason why I started this post is because on many of my favorite mixes, ive noticed that when phase cancelling the stereo channel together, hence taking out all what's panned dead center, I could still hear the kicks and snares. When I listen to the mixes, the drums don't sound panned at all though, and they don't "sound" stereo either so I figured there had to be some subtle stereo effect going on.
Old 20th June 2006 | Show parent
  #8
Lives for gear
 
🎧 15 years
maybe panned reverbs? that will give you nice depth.
Old 20th June 2006
  #9
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville
Do you guys use stereo effects to get your drums to sound bigger and wider ?

Anybody using harmonizers to pitch down/up one side by a few % ?

ive been thinking of buying a H3000 or something like that to fatten my drums and make them sound wider.. not sure if it will be worth it, what yall think ?
I do it all the time. My tracks are drum based, so I like to put more emphasis on the drums. I just need to find the right enginner.
Old 21st June 2006 | Show parent
  #10
Lives for gear
 
hitsville's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty Boy
I do it all the time. My tracks are drum based, so I like to put more emphasis on the drums. I just need to find the right enginner.
just peeped your beats, you got some nice stuff! I hear you use a lot of stereo effects, sounds good!
Old 21st June 2006 | Show parent
  #11
Gear Nut
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville
just peeped your beats, you got some nice stuff! I hear you use a lot of stereo effects, sounds good!
Thanks. I just have to put more into composing them. I get lazy so damn fast. My uncle just let me borrow this thing called a Fatso. He said it will make tracks sound fuller. I need to do some research on this Fat-ass or whatever it is.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump