Quantcast
TO TONY: Is the API A2D a step up from fireface A/D - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TO TONY: Is the API A2D a step up from fireface A/D
Old 28th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
TO TONY: Is the API A2D a step up from fireface A/D

Do you think I would hear a diiference going into a Fireface 800 digitally from keyboards an outboard preamps(LA-610,Neve 1066) versus plugging directly analog to the fireface? My main application would be to bring OTB summed mix back in the computer for printing. I am hearing some signal degradation right now. A little loss of clarity seperation and tonal balance.
Old 28th May 2006

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazztone
Do you think I would hear a diiference going into a Fireface 800 digitally from keyboards an outboard preamps(LA-610,Neve 1066) versus plugging directly analog to the fireface? My main application would be to bring OTB summed mix back in the computer for printing. I am hearing some signal degradation right now. A little loss of clarity seperation and tonal balance.
I don't have a lot of experience with the Fireface... but, IMO RME makes good converters.

Will the A2D sound better? Most likely... but with converters, you really need to have them side by side to make an accurate comparison.
Old 28th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont
I don't have a lot of experience with the Fireface... but, IMO RME makes good converters.

Will the A2D sound better? Most likely... but with converters, you really need to have them side by side to make an accurate comparison.

Thank you Tony. If I could Ask you About The Pre? I have heard my vocalist before using the Pre from a API Legend with a well cared for U47. I remember it was pro but it had this grainy thing in the mid. My singer is smooth but smokey in that range! Is this a different Pre than the Legend console has inboard? I'm interested in this unit being a goto for recording vocal backgrounds. Thanks for your input, I just try to get the purchases right the first time. Even though you don't know jack till you use it somewhere you know the sound for like two weeks. I'm buying your CD! They said the check is in the mail!

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thank you Tony. If I could Ask you About The Pre? I have heard my vocalist before using the Pre from a API Legend with a well cared for U47. I remember it was pro but it had this grainy thing in the mid. My singer is smooth but smokey in that range! Is this a different Pre than the Legend console has inboard? I'm interested in this unit being a goto for recording vocal backgrounds. Thanks for your input, I just try to get the purchases right the first time. Even though you don't know jack till you use it somewhere you know the sound for like two weeks. I'm buying your CD! They said the check is in the mail!
It's true the API has an aggressive midrange, but so does the typical u47 (especially in the low mids).... Maybe the combination of the 2 was what was giving you the grainy mids.

BTW, I'm not sure about this Legend console.... But, all of the API preamps sound pretty much the same. There may be some slight variation, but they all have the 2520 as the heart of the circuit.

Just out of curiousity, are you going to be using a U47 with this preamp?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I believe the Legend has 212 pre's in it..I could be wrong though.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
It's true the API has an aggressive midrange, but so does the typical u47 (especially in the low mids).... Maybe the combination of the 2 was what was giving you the grainy mids.

BTW, I'm not sure about this Legend console.... But, all of the API preamps sound pretty much the same. There may be some slight variation, but they all have the 2520 as the heart of the circuit.

Just out of curiousity, are you going to be using a U47 with this preamp?

No, I don't intend to try to buy and keep up a vintage mic in a home studio. It's just the best I've ever heard my artist recorded was Neve to U47 and Requisite to 800G.
The latter was fantastic. Not just the playback , but also the performance it inspired. I think vocalist can feel headroom both in the gear and the room there recording in. When they feel freedom watch out!. I was hoping I could get close with maybe a 251 clone to the API or maybe a designs tube pre!. The requisite chain was like 8000.00, so I don't expect exactly that but if it could give her the same kind of feeling that would be cool. Also the Legend pres did not sound like classic API records to my ear. Or even more modern like early DJ QUIK.

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I believe the Legend has 212 pre's in it..I could be wrong though.
Quote:
No, I don't intend to try to buy and keep up a vintage mic in a home studio. It's just the best I've ever heard my artist recorded was Neve to U47 and Requisite to 800G.
The latter was fantastic. Not just the playback , but also the performance it inspired. I think vocalist can feel headroom both in the gear and the room there recording in. When they feel freedom watch out!. I was hoping I could get close with maybe a 251 clone to the API or maybe a designs tube pre!. The requisite chain was like 8000.00, so I don't expect exactly that but if it could give her the same kind of feeling that would be cool. Also the Legend pres did not sound like classic API records to my ear. Or even more modern like early DJ QUIK.
When you say Legend... do you mean Legacy?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
When you say Legend... do you mean Legacy?

I think that is what he meant I just played along..I have only worked on the vintage API's and I own a lunch box full of modules..I believe the modern consoles have the 212L pre. Right?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm
I think that is what he meant I just played along..I have only worked on the vintage API's and I own a lunch box full of modules..I believe the modern consoles have the 212L pre. Right?
Yes... I was just thinking there was some kind of old exotic API console somebody has called a Legend. But, if it's the Legacy, it would feature the 212 pre.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
[QUOTE=TonyBelmont]Yes... I was just thinking there was some kind of old exotic API console somebody has called a Legend. QUOTE]

for all I know there could be heh
Old 29th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes... I was just thinking there was some kind of old exotic API console somebody has called a Legend. But, if it's the Legacy, it would feature the 212 pre.

Yes I did mean the Legacy, sorry for the mixup. I agree the mid range build up was probably a combination of singer(smokey) u47 (midrangey) API (Mid foward). How do you think a peluso 251 or tlm 49 might do in place of Sony 800-G

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yes I did mean the Legacy, sorry for the mixup. I agree the mid range build up was probably a combination of singer(smokey) u47 (midrangey) API (Mid foward). How do you think a peluso 251 or tlm 49 might do in place of Sony 800-G
No worries...

Also, I think the 251 would do great...

Can I get a clip of the singer?
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No worries...

Also, I think the 251 would do great...

Can I get a clip of the singer?

Sure I could give a clip of Alexx Daye singing. Do you want acapella or is in a track O.K. I do not know how to post on hear. If you could pm me how to do this I will. Or you could check out her myspace.com/daye1. The stuff there is Nuemann U87ai and SE H-3500(like nuemann m147).

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Sure I could give a clip of Alexx Daye singing. Do you want acapella or is in a track O.K. I do not know how to post on hear. If you could pm me how to do this I will. Or you could check out her myspace.com/daye1. The stuff there is Nuemann U87ai and SE H-3500(like nuemann m147).
Cool, don't sweat it then. I'll check out the myspace when I get a chance.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Cool, don't sweat it then. I'll check out the myspace when I get a chance.
Excellent send me a message.
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Excellent send me a message.
You have mail!
πŸ“ Reply