Quantcast
how to program this kind of drum roll - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
how to program this kind of drum roll
Old 13th April 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
how to program this kind of drum roll

at 1:25, does anyone know what kind of roll the drummer is doing? Is it composed for 1/8 notes or 1/16 notes?

Thanks,

DK
Old 13th April 2012
Gax
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Play it by ear?

1/16 notes with velocity increasing quickly. You could use two slightly different snare hits for more authentic sound instead of "machine gun" effect by using one sample only.
Old 13th April 2012 | Show parent
KT1
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gax ➡️
Play it by ear?

1/16 notes with velocity increasing quickly. You could use two slightly different snare hits for more authentic sound instead of "machine gun" effect by using one sample only.
better to use two close sounding snare samples - yup the dynamics are all it is.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about the same snare, multed, then automate ADSR for realistic effect.
Gax
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KT1 ➡️
better to use two close sounding snare samples - yup the dynamics are all it is.
Right, thats what I meant, if OP has acoustic drum library like Abbey Road drums or SSD 4 he could program them instead.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm only hearing one snare played simultaneously with the floor tom. On old recordings the floor tom can sound an awful lot like a deep snare due to the technical limitations and the drum itself. It is played very sloppily so it can deceive into thinking there is more going on than just straight 8th notes.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkelloway ➡️
at 1:25, does anyone know what kind of roll the drummer is doing? Is it composed for 1/8 notes or 1/16 notes?
It's a regular 1/16th snare fill. Just do it and then go back through in step time and alter velocities of some of the hits.
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
This is easy to do with multisampled drums. I do rolls like this in addictive drums easily. Its laid out to do this easily.
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➡️
This is easy to do with multisampled drums.

This....
Old 14th April 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWest ➡️
This is easy to do with multisampled drums. I do rolls like this in addictive drums easily. Its laid out to do this easily.
What do you mean by multisampled drums? A sample that can be assigned to multiple pitches?
Hobbs_Won
Quote:
What do you mean by multisampled drums? A sample that can be assigned to multiple pitches?
No multiple velocities, like exdrummer or Addictive Drums for example...

The drums are sampled at multiple velocities so the dynamics are the same as playing an actual drum.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Its just like any other multisampled instrument its just made for drums. They play drums at all kinds of velocities and hit places ect. I use Addictive Drums. It is set up for easy snare rolls because the keys are grouped next to each other on a keyboard by default regardless of what snare patch I use. If you haven't subscribed to my YouTube channel yet check it out. I will be doing a video about multisampled drums soon. More hip hop producers need to be on these and not on these one shot mpc style drum kits. We need to evolve to something better and I think I have found what better is.
📝 Reply