Quantcast
I am sick of Reason - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I am sick of Reason
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I am sick of Reason

What other programs would you advise using???
I have pro tools m-powered right now and reason thats about it
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Whats wrong with reason?

It's rock soid with pro tools and standalone.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree, Reason is a Godsend...

However, If U are not able to find the creativity you desire try different approaches :

My suggestion would be try writing songs/ideas using GarageBand.

If U can Try it... its actually quite different.

-Scott
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I find Reason a massive pain in the ass. For accessing instruments quickly and easily, check out Garageband or Logic with the Jam Packs.

For loops, check out Ableton Live.
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I dont like using loops I feel like using it is cheating in the sense i dont feel like i can claim that a beat is mine if im using someone elses pre made loop
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I do like reasonj I just dont want to be stuck with one program
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpboyLee
I dont like using loops I feel like using it is cheating in the sense i dont feel like i can claim that a beat is mine if im using someone elses pre made loop
heh he's a producer..............good man
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
heh he's a producer..............good man

in my humble opinion producers can use loops..............and not using loops does not make u a "producer" .............a beatmaker, maybe.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here's what I do if I'm not feeling inspired.
  • Use a loop as a foundation
  • build up around the loop using different drums, synths bass.
  • remove the loop. (still has that feel)
  • continue adding instrumentation to get what I want
That way, even though i started off with a loop. I get the feel of the loop and the groove. But the essence is still there.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Producers "produce". Produce means to create. Anything that aids or furthers a creation is all good. So loops are all good.

Now a GOOD producer knows how to use loops tastefully and imaginatively, that's a whole another ball of wax.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I like the input but another program??????? or should I jus buy an AKAI and do it all from there? and use live instruments
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I like the input but another program??????? or should I jus buy an AKAI and do it all from there? and use live instruments
Dude; do yourself the favor and learn reason 3.0

The mentality of the program is elementary. You build the rack you need. Start out with reasons mixer. After that right click and add an effects unit, it automatically wires itself into one of 4 busses in reasons mixer (automatically mapped to each channel on reasons mixer) My first selection is the reverb unit, echo, flanger and distortion. When you press the tab key you'll see it automatically wired.

Then right click and start adding reasons instruments. It automatically wires your instruments to each channel strip on the mixer and marks it for you. Press the tab key and drag the second wire over to the number 2 (top, right next to where wire number one is) This allows you to pan your instrument hard left on channel one and hard right on channel two. This allows me to create a wider stereo field.
when you run out of inputs, simply create another mixer and reason will handle all of the wiring using auxilary inputs, just keep adding instruments.

The program is rock solid, this is propellerheads downfall. It is so perfectly made that people have only one complaint - The sound engine. Which IMO is just fine.
If you're that picky you have the luxury of re-wire in every major DAW. Nothing else to complain about.

I do have one complaint with reason:
Why haven't they turned it into a full DAW (Audio Recording)? IMO, they would put an end to the very cluttered DAW market.

As far as loops, they're great backers for productions. Tools like Recycle allow you to have absolute control over the loop (once you isolate all the attack points and turn that loop into a rex file) and even re-drum the entire pattern retaining the feel (swing).

Reason is just one of many weapons in the arsenal, it's one of my main weapons.
In fact it's the main weapon, everything else the DAW's which give me access to great eq's, compressors etc...) is a tool to support what I do in reason.

The degree of swing in reason allows me to use my trigger finger and reasons sequencer to mimic the exact feel of what I have been able to achieve with all of my Akai Mpc's. And I love all of the akai mpc's (the 4000 the most)

I really do hope you do eventually see the value of reason. There is nothing else out there that ties everything together and is as reliable (with stability) as reason.
Old 23rd May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
I am completly aware of the power of reason I really do appreciate it but like I said before I don't want to be subjected to one program Is there another pogram similar to reason that you would call 2nd best?>
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
There is no second best to reason. Reason is a self contained program that works standalone without having to be rewired to export your track. Other than that you would just use one of the many DAW's out there with vst or rtas instruments and effects. So to answer your question properly there is no substitute for a program like reason, only other solutions which point you to the direction of DAW's.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
reason

not a fan....at all!!!!
500 series nutjob

🎧 15 years
i mostly use redrum but i love reason it is a must for me.
now if i can just figure out this computer.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Is there another pogram similar to reason that you would call 2nd best?>
Fruity Loops
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by crew14
in my humble opinion producers can use loops..............and not using loops does not make u a "producer" .............a beatmaker, maybe.
maybe i should have said "He's a Beat Composer " heh heh

what about a LOOP-ducer heh ..........Don King baby Don King

...but whatever works. cause if its hot, dont stop..
πŸ“ Reply